PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Outdrive "theft prevention" key??

Riley
07-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Hey Guys, here is another of my silly questions. I have my 1999 18' Classic in at the local Marina to have the lower unit removed, and have the universal joints and shafts inspected and lubed. Marina calls me and says that one of the bolts holding the outdrive to the boat requires a special "key" for removal. I drove down there, and sure enough, one of the bolts on the starboard side of the lower unit requires a special removal tool. Is this something from Mercruiser, or is this a Donzi add-on? Will one size fit all, or are there different keys available? Where and how does a boater go about getting one of these keys? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris Riley

Ranman
07-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Chris, Most likely it is an add on or aftermarket part. If you bought your classic used, the PO may have installed the special bolt. They're the equivalent of wheel locks. I've seen them in most Marine stores but I forget who makes them (McGard maybe). If you can determine the manufacturer and get a number off the part, you can sometimes have the mfg send you a new key. I've also been successful at hammering a socket over wheel locks and turning them off. You usually end up scrapping the socket though. If its exposed, you may also be able to grind two flats on the lock and go at it with vise grips. Hope you get it worked out.

Digger
07-24-2002, 03:23 PM
your feature is most likely aftermarket, it may be a McGard product (try their website www.mcgard.com) (http://www.mcgard.com)) A very simple device to install, much like their prop guard, which require a keyed socket to remove. look the boat over real careful, maybe previous owner left the key somewhere... Good luck-

Riley
07-24-2002, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. The problem is, I bought the boat brand new from the dealer, and this feature was obviously on there since the time of purchase. I'll have to dig around the entire boat when I get her home and see if the key isn't in there somewhere.

Forrest
07-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Try to get the original key since they are all different. I keep mine for my Alpha SS in a very safe place. If you can't get the original key, then try to pound a 12-pt socket on to it and try to get it to grip. There is not much room for any gripping tools like Vice-Grips, etc. Best of luck.

Cuda
07-24-2002, 06:09 PM
Does it look like this? I just turned it out with channel locks. The round piece is supposed to spin separate from the nut to prevent being able to do this. Apparently mine had enough electrolisis or corrosion to hold the two pieces together enough to turn at once. If not, I would have driven a cold chisel between the nut and the round part and turned it out. These nuts aren't usually hard to turn.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriff12.jpg

Formula Jr
07-24-2002, 07:25 PM
C@ll the De@ler up @nd @sk for the key - do not try to remove this on your own. If you bre@k off the he@d or mess it up too b@dly , you will be SCREWED (pun intended). The De@ler will H@ve to H@ve the key for regul@r drive service M@int@n@nce. If you live in @ low crime or h@ve @ S@fe stro@ge @re@ H@ve the De@ler repl@ce the bolt with @ norm@l one.

Formula Jr
07-24-2002, 08:48 PM
I'll just get @ remote from Good Will till eB@y comes thru. Sorry guys.......

B@ck to the topic @ h@nd.......... :D

Rootsy
07-24-2002, 09:03 PM
huh :confused: ... there's crime in da UP???? well besides some drunk yoops??? i never thought...

ToonaFish
07-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Well, it takes deep thought and consideration to read your posts, Owen... more so lately, however!

Call me hopelessly naive, but the idea of someone stealing a drive has never occured to me.. just how long would it take a thief to remove it?

Bunches,

Celene 'thinking criminal thoughts'

Ranman
07-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Celene, Lower units come off in a snap and can fetch a pretty penny. They get stolen constantly. All you need is a wrench, ratchet, whatever and about 10 minutes. The sad part is that if your boat is moored in the water and not on a lift when it gets hit, you'll find your boat at the bottom of the lake.

Poodle, you read my mind exactly for Jr. Put me down for $10 and well get him a real fancy job.

Riley
07-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all of the info, everybody. I got the boat home tonight, but there wasn't any type of "key" to be found. This lock has a cylinder that swivels, surrounding the stud and some whacky shaped retainer nut. I think it's the same thing that Cuda has, but mine isn't corroded enough to spin out, yet.

Common wisdom is that it's pretty easy to break the cylinder off, and just twist the retainer nut off. I was hoping for a less "barbaric" way to remove this thing, but finding the proper tool will probably be impossible.

Jamie, as far as theft in the UP goes, well, this boat came from Detroit via Alanson.....so I'm thinking the downstate dealer might have put this on.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Cuda
07-25-2002, 07:52 PM
My freind had his stolen. It turned out ok for him, the insurance company cut him a check, and after the purchase of the new outdrive, he still had $1200 left.

ToonaFish
07-25-2002, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking Ranman and I have found a way to buy Ted's boat and multiple Rolexi...

Bunches,

Celene 'now where did I put that catburgler outfit?'