PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Sub-Species

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-16-2003, 08:52 PM
I found an old Donzi catalog in with the paperwork from my new-old barrelback, and pictured in it was a model called the "Criterion II". It had the bench seat like the normal Criterion, but it had a regular 22' classic windshield, and nothing foward of that but clean deck. In other words, no foward seat.
How many of these were made, and do any of us have one?

FR :p

Ed Donnelly
11-16-2003, 10:37 PM
I think they built 12 Critrion 11 I think Scott Pearson is the only one on the registry who ever owned one. I believe he said he sold it in the early 90's...Ed

olredalert
11-17-2003, 09:01 AM
------Would really,really like to see that picture.Did I say really?Oh yeah,I did........Bill S

McGary911
11-17-2003, 11:07 AM
I dont have time to find it, but that red E-bay tease of a boat (mad dog, wolf??) was a Criterion II. Somewhere on the board is a pic of a old Donzi ad with a CII as well....

olredalert
11-17-2003, 11:39 AM
McGary,

-------I believe the owner of that red boat miss-listed it.I might be wrong but I believe that boat had a hatch forward,which would make it an SS not a II.Have I got that backward?Im easily confused!........Bill S

McGary911
11-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Red, you're right on that one. I just had a chance to check the pics, and it's an SS. Thats what i get for thinking about Donzis when I'm on a conference call. :rolleyes:

Here's the b&w Donzi ad with a real deal CII, with John Chisolm driving....Looks like the vents are black in these pics. Thats a bit unusual, I believe.
JC's CII Ad (http://www.donzi.net/photos/B.Englert35.jpg.jpg)

Rodger
11-17-2003, 12:08 PM
If it's done the same as my F22, the vents are painted the same color as the surface they are attached to. In this case it's a dark color, possibly black.

11-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Scanned in the photo from my catalog:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Criterion_II_600.jpg

I don't know what year the catalog's from. I can't find a copyright date.

So, I guess the regular Criterion has the foward seat with the pass-through, the SS has the foward seat w/o a pass-through, and the Criterion II has no foward seat, and no less than 17, count 'em, seventeen guages. Wow!

BigGrizzly
11-17-2003, 09:45 PM
looks like a 1979 to me.

TuxedoPk
11-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Randy- What is unique about the boat to make you believe it is a 1979? What were the various changes over the production years?

11-17-2003, 10:42 PM
MadPoodle:
Is there a 22 Classic on the cover of your brochure?? Yes, with yellow sides, and a white deck with silver Donzi logos on the deck. The brochure also features a Hornet III, an 18', and a 22', but no 16', and no Minx. Oh yeah, all the windshields are the type w/o chrome.

Rodger
11-18-2003, 08:05 AM
I thought the C-II wasn't introduced until 1980. I have all the old brochures, I'll dig them out and try to figure it out.

anotherScott
11-18-2003, 09:12 AM
It is a 1980 according to an old magazine article I found in my desk. Pretty good considering I can't find my desk sometimes:) The bottom of the page just reads March 1980.
Donzi Introduces Criterion II
The Criterion II is a limited-production sport boat designed as a two-seater. Only ten boats will be produced in 1980 to be custom built to an owner's individual taste. The Donzi has an electrical bar hatch, special sound system, electro-hydraulic engine hatch, automatic fire extinguisher, digital clock, fathometer, complete instrument panel, and a calculator for computing time, speed, and distance traveled. The boat measures 22'8" long and has a beam of 7'2" .
I have been in one of these boats a hundred years ago. Where are the other 9? I know......MadPoodle has them in a secret lagoon down there in Sunny South Florida.

Home sick, in cold, cloudy, NJ:( Scott

anotherScott
11-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Almost forgot.......If anyone is looking for an all original, excellent condition, blue and white, Criterion just like Grizz's let me know. I have been circling the boat for a couple of years now, and have decided not to buy it. I just bought a 1974 Magnum instead. The Criterion started at 25,000, 3-4 years ago, and I believe he is asking 18,000 the last time I heard. He also has a nice x-18 that is not for sale yet.

Scott

BUIZILLA
11-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Scott, you got mail... i'm definately an immediate buyer for the right boat....

J

Rodger
11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Madpoodle,
The sharp looking 22 your speaking of is an F-22, right?

Rodger
11-18-2003, 04:08 PM
If it has the raised engine compartment and the cockpit is similar to a newer Classics, then it's an F-22. They were available with and without the windshield. All of my brochures from back then show the F-22 without a windshield, but my F-22 has the optional windshield.

DAULEY
11-18-2003, 05:24 PM
will pay finders fee. looking for a criterion11 must be the right boat also will trade 1995 le blackhawk for one

Greg
11-18-2003, 07:17 PM
I also have a catalog with that same pic of the Criterian II. Mine has a 1984 price schedule with it. That boat is listed at $48,648, that's alotta beans in '84.

BERTRAM BOY
11-18-2003, 09:38 PM
MIA my !@#$%^&. I've waited long enough for that brochure!!!!! Now get back in there and find it!!!!!!
ANONYMOUS :D :D :D

Jonesin' for Key West

RedDog
11-19-2003, 09:13 PM
And here is the windshieldless 22 I have always liked - how does it fit into this mix? Supposedly a 1980?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydts-donzi22-2.jpg

PS - I really like windshields now - Donzi Deb was agreeable to my upgrade to a 22 because it had a windshield. Think I'll be in trouble next season when she first rides in it? eek! And I never told her this, but why does she think it is a 2+4?

MOP
11-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Wonder why its not offered in that style anymore, it sure is a great look. I Would think it would sell well to some.

BERTRAM BOY
11-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Red Dog,
That's an '81.

RedDog
11-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks BB, let me rephrase - And here (above) is the windshieldless 22 I have always liked - how does it fit into this mix? Supposedly a 1981? How many were there. Is this maybe an F22 or Criterion (something) without a windshield?

DAULEY
11-19-2003, 09:59 PM
i am thinking of buying the criterion in newyork does anyone know anything about this boat price seams high but it looks to be all there any imput
thanks bob also anyone near it to look at it for me

BERTRAM BOY
11-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Red Dog,
That's definetly not an F22 or any kind of Criterion. It's an early 22 without the windsheild coaming. I've also seen an '81 22 with a windsheild coaming, and a windsheild.
It seems that sometime in '83, the mold was changed so that the coaming was "molded in". It was previously bolted on.
Did you get all that, or did I confuse you more.....Damn, now I think I'm confused !!!!

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

RedDog
11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
BERTRAM BOY:
...It's an early 22 without the windsheild coaming. I've also seen an '81 22 with a windsheild coaming, and a windsheild.
It seems that sometime in '83, the mold was changed so that the coaming was "molded in". It was previously bolted on.
... Interesting - its the only one I've seen of that vintage or without a W/S. Did the ones with "bolted on" coaming have the "lip" around the cockpit like the one in the picture of the red 22 (under the coaming)?

BERTRAM BOY
11-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Yes, sort of ..... some of the one's I've seen have a padded dash that goes over the dash and the coaming. I guess it could be removed, but then you would need to remove the padded dash too, and then you're left with a bunch of holes.

BTW, this is an '81.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF20B7.jpg

RedDog
11-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Geeezz - my head hurts and I'm going to quit worrying about it - now I see there is left/right hand set up differences in addition to coaming/no coaming/windshield/no windshield. The lack of standardization hurts my engineer's need for configuration management - well, that's probably the way I would have done it too if I was in control

Cuda
11-19-2003, 11:26 PM
MadPoodle:
Hmm, the early catalog is MIA at the moment, but the one I was thinking FR has is an 82 I believe. Here is the
pic of the 22 (http://www.donzi.net/photos/mp-82_22_Classic.jpg) My God, what a beautiful boat!

olredalert
11-19-2003, 11:56 PM
-------Just wondering what other board members think of the "DONZI" logo on the deck.I have seen it over the years on one DONZI catalog boat or another,but never much in real life.Didnt a Corsican in some catalog or another have the logo on the deck as well as the hull?
-------For the record "I like it",but not on every DONZI,I guess.What do you think?...........Bill S

mphatc
11-20-2003, 04:24 AM
Bill,

Yes there is an old Corsican brochure with a deck logo. I have only seen deck logos in catalogs.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell595.jpg

This sure looks like Don A. driving . . ?

MPHATC

olredalert
11-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Mario,

-----Yup,thats the pic I was thinking of. Thanks! Thats one early Corsican,huh! Metal script and white/black DONZI decal on the side. Im also wondering what the round spot in front of decal is. Is it one of the small round blue/gold DONZI decals,or could it possibly be the fuel-filler. As you and I know the fuel door was usually center top on the deck.I have noticed with yours and mine that the fuel-filler doesnt really conform with the deck contour in our locations. Maybe this was an early attempt to have the filler in a relatively flat location.Oops,I think I answered my own question. I found another shot of this same boat from the top in color among some stuff I havent looked at in awhile,and the round mark is definetly the blue/gold decal.
----- I cant remember what Kens boat(no.1) has on it for a side decal,although I know it has the metal script. You would think that Kens would also have the deck decal as it was the boat used in the New York Boat Show.
-----Im also wondering if any Criterions had DONZI deck decals affixed to the decks at the time of delivery. Criterions had just about every other option that a boater could dream up as standard equipment,why not the deck decals?.............Bill S

KMLFAMILY
11-20-2003, 08:46 PM
And there was this F-22 for sale with what appeared to be authentic Criterion decals. :confused:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/klessard410.jpg

olredalert
11-23-2003, 09:45 AM
KMLF,

-------That black and white boat you picture is very unusual.Have you all noticed the raised engine hatch ala Criterion? And yet the boat is the 22 2+2 seating configuration.I,for one,have never seen one of these anywhere.No add,no nuthin. Anyone else out there seen one of these? Have I had my head in the sand or something?...........Bill S

Rodger
11-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Yes, I have seen that style lots of times. That is the F22. It was introduced by Donzi 2 years prior to the Criterion. If you want to see another one, only with a windshield, look in the registry. Sort by name and look for the name, Eppley.

olredalert
11-23-2003, 02:11 PM
------Thanks,Rodger,just goes to show ya,ya just never know everything! When I saw F22 mentioned before I dumbly thought the F stood for fishing,similar to todays method of labeling...........Bill S

Greg K
11-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Then there is this left hand drive twin turbo 1979 F-22 in the registry..
http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=467

olredalert
11-24-2003, 01:37 PM
-----Love the engine hangin from a hook in the one picture.Its like the story of alot of our lives when dealing with these ol boats.I know only too well.Gotta yank the small block out of the Corsican real soon to make sure Im ready for Lake Cumberland and AOTH this year.
-----We ought to start a seperate thread to see how many times we all have yanked broke motors out of boats in our lives.Im not sure I could give an accurate number though.I tend to forget things that are a pain in the butt!........Bill S

Woodsy
11-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Windshields... We don't need no stinking winshields! or sterndrives!!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/woodsy-ob1.jpg

I can post better pix, but here is one of the OB...

Woodsy Von Two Stroke

MOP
11-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Nice looking Woodsey should be pretty quick and best of all you have the largest beer cooler in back :D

boldts
11-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Mr. Eppley, Thank-you for the heads up on pictures of your F-22. They are part of my screen saver program now. I like the boat with a windshield vs with-out.

Woodsy, Now that is a 22 Donzi! I'm not just being nice, but I like the sleek look of your boat with-out the windshield. That sure looks like a lot of OB hanging off the back. Reminds me of the first time I saw a 300HP V-8 OB hanging on the back of a hydroplane! How low is the transom in the water. To much in that big cooler might cause some problems with waves over the back eek!

Rodger
11-24-2003, 10:28 PM
boldts, your quite welcome. I should be thanking you. I'm honored that you used photos of my boat for your sceen saver and I hope you enjoy them.
Rodger

Air 22
11-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Woodsy.....Nice boat...You gonna put twin Merc 250's on it? :D :D :D

BERTRAM BOY
12-05-2003, 01:33 PM
That catalog that Flatracer has, if it's the same one I have, is most likely from 1980. Somewhere it makes metion of Donzi being around for 16 years.