PDA

View Full Version : Surface Drives

Cuda
11-16-2003, 07:51 PM
I saw this very intersting article about surface drives. It was written by a fellow from CDMA's alma mater, the Webb Institute.
http://www.simplicity-marine.com/surfprop.htm

MOP
11-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Cuda I found it also trying to learn more about my up coming project, did not think about posting it dumb me. Thanks for putting it up here. I sent the URL off to Chris, Geoo and Tom. It was neat to find reference to enclosing inboard prop shafts, I had been talking to Tom about that a few weeks back. I've been burying myself in surface drive info trying to learn what I could for my pending project. Thankfully there are some really great guys sharing priceless time and knowledge.

CDMA
11-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Paul is a great guy. I talked to him a few years ago about my projeect. I have to say I am really impressed with the amount of new surface drives entering the market. At the same time I am equally dissapointed that in my opinion very little seem to be any better/as good as the Arneson. I think there is a neeed for a next generation ASD-6. Complete with built in shifting, steering/trim rams, etc. But for now I still think it is one of the better choices out there.

Regards

Chris

This school thing is REALLY cramping boat time...accomplished on boats in last 3 months= NADA frown

MOP
11-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Chris what are your thoughts on adding ventilation ducts on our smaller boats? I ditto the complete package idea though for many it may be to costly. I am looking forward to getting started, trying to get the puzzle pieces in order.

Cuda
11-17-2003, 08:22 PM
MOP, what are putting a surface drive on?

MOP
11-17-2003, 09:00 PM
I bought Waleyes dads boat an 86 22 Classic with the small block, I HP600's add for an ASD6 and could not turn it down. I was days away from buying an Alpha SS drive. I have always been interested in the A drives, I am going through a learning curve with help from the guys that are or have been there! And gathering the bits and pieces for the swap. I am waiting for my canvas hut to get started.