PDA

View Full Version : Minx/Hornet

Cuda
11-17-2002, 12:13 PM
What are the main differences in these? Were either available with a big block? I'm beginning to get an itch for something this size and style. They seem very similar to my eye.

BigGrizzly
11-17-2002, 07:02 PM
These tare very farapart the Hornet could come with a small orbig block the Minx was only a small block. the minx was low like a classic. te hormets had a higher freeboard and a big flair in the bow.

AVickers
11-18-2002, 09:12 AM
Actually, I looked at a Big Block Minx a couple of years ago. An '86 or '87 BB w/ Alpha -- Honey w/ Blue Stripes. In northeastern Alabama.

I looked at a Big Block Hornet II about a month ago in Corpus Christi. kind of a puke green. BB w/ TRS drive. Very distinctive w/ the flaired hull and the V-shaped windshield.

GeneD
11-18-2002, 03:54 PM
I SAW THAT BOAT!!!!
If I am not mistaken, he was asking a million dollars for it too.
Saw it at the race, on the side of the road! I was hauling the race boat back to the pits, and saw it! I stopped in the road and got out to check it out.
Nice, but not worth the money he was asking.

Formula Jr
11-18-2002, 03:58 PM
The Minx and Hornet II share LOA only. Different hull designs completely. The Hornet is 19 degree deadrise at the transom and is not a true deep vee design. IE, the dead rise is not the same through out the length of the keel to chine at mid-ships. The Minx is a true deep Vee 24 or 22, can't rememeber which. The Minx appears to be part of the Z-boat line - at least it takes all its styling cues from that line.

Dalelama
11-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was led to believe that the MINX was a scaled down version of the 38' Cig....20'6" (21)

High gunwales compared to the "Classics" but no where near as high as the Hornets.

The MINX kinda looks like the Criterion (hi sides with stainless vents on the side, not on rear deck), but different hull... the Criterions use the Classic hull I think...? Randy?

Any big block MINX are probably after market modifications. There's a Minx here in Miami getting a BBC-Bravo upgrade as I type.

Cuda
11-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a Minx is more suited to what I want. I like the ride of a true deep vee, and lots of freeboard is always a plus. I guess I'll start the long search for one that suits me. Anyone know where there is a Minx for sale?

Stix Magill
11-20-2002, 10:50 PM
Cuda,
I will let you know if I run across a Minx. If you have questions about the Minx, let me know. I am far from an expert, but I do own one. The free board is very nice in my opinion. I love the look of a Hornet too, but I have never had the pleasure of riding in one. Both of these boats, you sit "in", not "on" it like an 18. Both great, just different. My details are as follows...
350 Mag (270hp)
Alpha
Limited Edition Package (I don't know the dif.)
23" Mirage
60 mph GPS at best for me, starts to chine walk just a bit :)

I was told early on that the Minx models were under powered (350 was stock), but 60 feels really fast to me, so I am very happy.

Good luck with whatever boat you go with.

Scott Smith
"Stix Magill"

Scott Pearson
11-21-2002, 05:49 AM
Cuda,
I know of a real nice Minx. It has a 350 Tempest motor in it also. It has about 250 Hour on it and is in great shape. I think he was asking 9500.00

(NJ)Scott

T. Morris
11-21-2002, 03:01 PM
If the engine is a 'Tempest' it's likely an '86.
I had the opportunity to buy one back in '86, but
held out for an '87 which is a 350 mag. Similar
experience, 60mph, maybe 62 when everything is right. I have 400 hrs on, boat is mint. I wouldn't consider anything less than double the $9500US mentioned for mine. Sounds like it's worth following up.

Indyblackhawk
11-21-2002, 06:29 PM
Check out the Minx on Ebay. Sounds like some of the information is a stretch.

snowman
11-23-2002, 10:55 AM
I own a 1987 minx limited edtion. I repowered the boat with a blown small block. A small wiend 142 blower on a mild 350 alfa drive. The boat will run 76 mph gps!I am considering selling boat to move to a 22 or 26zx. If you are interested I will post some picturs.

Cuda
11-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Scott, where is that Minx with the Tempest? What is different about a Tempest engine?

speedster77
11-24-2002, 09:48 AM
SnowMan, I would love to see some shots of your Minx,I have almost the same boat. Mine is a blue on tan 1986 with a small block/B&M blower set up.
My email is minxdonzi@hotmail, please send me some shots of your baby when you have the time.