PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic roller cam+lifters,good upgrade?

fasttrucker
09-03-2002, 07:02 PM
my performance guy wants me to install a new cam. :rolleyes: well ,iam faxing a cam recommendation form to craine cams tomorow. :D so i called my mechnix up and he says that he gets a local shop to grind his cams. :confused: anyway i need to learn more? :confused:

Rootsy
09-03-2002, 07:24 PM
is westminster near baltimore? if so i would venture to bet that he gets his camshafts done at racer brown off of pulaski... the guy who owns the place isn't the original owner who was famous in the 60's... he does have cam doctor so he can generate the lobe profile from an existing camshaft then grind it on a blank core... if anyone else in the area needs some machining and fabrication done i suggest trying tech machine located in the back, behind racer brown's speed shop...

sorry, shameless plug for one of our sponsors (tech machine)... wink

MOP
09-03-2002, 09:08 PM
If its Racer Brown they aways made decent cams try for hyd. roller you will gain a few horses.

fasttrucker
09-04-2002, 10:19 AM
yes looking at hydraulic roller cams.will ask tony about this racer brown/tech marine shop.looking to go out thursday need to thunder on the bay since i have a seafood load,$$$$,loading friday-anyone want to go for a ride? :cool:

BigGrizzly
09-04-2002, 05:06 PM
In the words of Babe Erson (designer of most of Erson cams and taught by Iskiderian himself. "If you don't need a roller can don't use it". He is an old and close friend and does my cans. In a marine application you don't turn enough RPMs nor have enough aggressive lift to make a nessity. The reason marine started to use them was the 454, which hab a cam oiling problem with flat tappet cams with extended idle. This then moved to other models. The other reason is that rollers are cheeper to make. you see the cam doesn't have to be made with an angled lobe to spin the lifters and the base of the lifter doesn't have to be the perfect 30 inch radius to match the cam angle. If your engine is already set up for a roller then fine if not I wouldn't go that way. By the fact it is a roller, doesn't make it faster. Rollers were for agressive profiles and durability with these cams. Only one of my boat motoes has a roller and that is be cause it came that way. If I didn't have a cam grinder that was a good friend I would go crane for my marine motors. I go for the origionator not duplicator.

Randy owner of Donzis since 1966

Moody Blu'
09-04-2002, 05:47 PM
WOW randy just said a mouthful wink

Gritz
09-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Randy, a little off subject but it was a Z after all. Your post reminded me of 15 or 20 years ago when I was building a track motor for my 240Z (with 280 short block and 240 head with 280 valves) and had my cam ground by some guy in Atlanta. I ask his recommendation for springs and he directed me to Isky. Much to my surprise, when I called to place an order, Ed himself answered the phone, told me exactly what I needed, and had them in my hands a few days later.
Great motor that wouldn't be worth a crap in a boat. :D Yep, they are two different animals.
Stan
PS: Eufala looked like a large time was had by all. Guess I'm about 20 mph slow. LOL

BigGrizzly
09-04-2002, 10:47 PM
No such thing as too slow or too fast at Eufala. Yes it was a larg time. 19+ boats and 200 stories, each night. Fun ride swapping bassboat and Scarab eating, what fun. we made a Donzi sandwich of him.

Randy owner of Donzis since 1966