PDA

View Full Version : Water, water, and more water in my gas

clayman
09-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Well, I am still working out the bugs on my recently restored Donzi. I have had no water in the gas problems since it has been back together and have put 25 hours on it. Last week, we put about 3-4 hours on it in east lake toho, and it ran great. I ran it almost empty, and filled it up with gas when I got home. I parked it , and covered it for eight days while I went to Chicago. When I got back I was horrified to find most of the aluminum on the engine had corroded badly, and there was water( condensation) on everything, and mold growing on my K&N filter. When I put the boat in the water, it was hard starting, and ran for only a minute. I drained the water separator three times in 15 minutes and each time it was almost full of water. How could I get three quarts of water in my tank? I put in some gas dryer stuff, and i am going to continue draining the water separator. IS THIS NORMAL?
James
www.clayman.com (http://www.clayman.com)
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff52.jpg

clayman
09-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Poodle,
Maybe it is a florida thing, I am alway so tempted to put covers on things, to protect the paint, etc. but maybe it is better to leave it uncovered. In the spring though, we have all that nasty green pollen on everything.
James

MOP
09-03-2002, 07:06 PM
When I lived down in the land of sun and mold I learned quickly to only cover with breathable canvas. As far as your corrosion I think you boat in salt like I do, if so you have to wash the engine down let it dry and keep things CRC-ed. I am not sure what you are running but on 16's and 18's the ingest water through the engine cowls in hard turns on sloppy days that dumps onto the engine. For a long time I thought I had a leak but it did not leak on glassy days. RT was surprised how much water came through my vents on a rough day. You can put hoses on the intake vents and tie them off to the sides of the boat then it just runs in the bilge.