PDA

View Full Version : Fuel delivery lines/hoses ???

Jamesbon
11-16-2003, 09:13 AM
First of all I picked up my 509 yesterday :D

I have a few questions before I start setting up the fuel delivery system. I heard you can run "soft" line from the tank to the pump, then once the fuel is pressurized, don't you have to run hard line, like stainless or something? I thought there were "Aeroquip" type high pressure hose and fittings rated for marine use...?

Where can I get "bendable and flareable" stainless fuel tube? Or can I use copper?

In any event, I'll have a spin on canister fuel water separator between the tank and electric pump, then from the pump I'll go to a regulator @ 7 psi, then into another in-line filter, then into the 980 Holley...

Thanks in advance,

terry
11-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Nate,
no need for any hard line...unless your going to run like 40 PSI or more........

BUIZILLA
11-16-2003, 09:28 AM
What hp level is the motor??

Jamesbon
11-16-2003, 09:49 AM
I thought USCG called for hard line where fuel was under pressure.

If not, where can I get flex. stuff made with AN fittings? Goodyear?

Buizilla,
Should push 600 wound up tight. 10:1 cr, Merlin iron heads, hyd. roller 308 duration cam w/ <.600" lift., Merlin intake with Nickerson 980 Holley, T-Bolt IV.

olredalert
11-16-2003, 10:08 AM
-----I am posative you should not use copper,and think all on the board will agree.There are automotive fuel line suppliers using a bunch of flareable stainless so I know the stuff is out there.Should be easy to source........Bill S

BUIZILLA
11-16-2003, 01:18 PM
JB, the standard rule of thumb for adequate supply for a gas engine is 1/2# of fuel per hp hour. So, a 600 hp gas engine needs a minimum of 300#'s of fuel per hour, or approx 45-50 gal/hr. I would use #6 AeroQuip blue marine fuel hose to the engine mechanical pump. You need a 110-130 gal/hr mechanical pump. The supply from the pump to the carb needs to be steel tubing, of 3/8" minimum. It wouldn't hurt to use #8 hose from the tank to the pump though....

J

Jamesbon
11-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Sweet Buizilla! That's what I'm looking for. I've seen "the blue hose," but wasn't sure who made it or where to get it from.

I'll use 6 or 8 blue Aeroquip to the pump, then try to source stainless steel "bendable" fuel line for the pressure side of things.

Does the blue Aeroquip stuff come with AN fittings, or do I have to attach my own?

BUIZILLA
11-16-2003, 02:20 PM
JB, both my Minx LE and my 18 LE came with blue 3/8" AeroQuip hose as original issue. The AQ catalog lists SS, steel and aluminum push-on or crimp style fittings. Depending on your carb connection, you can use the same hose to a flared splitter and then also direct to each inverted flare end on the carb. The high-perf. AQ catalog shows everything you need. Don't forget a 225 Racor somewhere in line. Confirm whether the fuel filter of choice should be vacuum or pressure side situated. Measure twice, connect once.

BTW, I am a *little* concerned with the 10-1 compression spec for pump gas...watch your TOTAL timing carefully..

J

Jamesbon
11-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks J! I'm looking for their catalog as we speak.

I've always pushed the envelope with big cams and compression eek!

With the T-Bolt IV, there's 20 degrees built in "electronic" advance, with full advance being somewhere near 3K rpms. My builder suggested no more than 34 total. I'm more comfortable with 32 or so. I'll have to see how she cranks as well. With total timing set at 32, the initial will still be a bit high @ 12. I'm not sure how easy she'll turn over at 12 on the bottom. With that said, I plan to always have some 100LL on hand and have not ruled out the possibility of adding a "timing retard module" for starting...but again, I'll know more once she's fired up.

Also looking at a knock sensor and pyro's...great tools for tuning...

BUIZILLA
11-16-2003, 03:03 PM
I agree with the 34* MAX theme. It'll still crank just fine with 12*-14* up front.

Scott Pearson
11-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Nate,
Just my 2 cents. I used Godman Hi-Performance in Memphis Tn. Thats all they do is fuel lines and equip. They are top notch! They will have EVERYTHING! Also they carry all mounting hardware.

Call them at (901)382-7404

Or... www.godmanhiperf.com (http://www.godmanhiperf.com)

I got all my fuel line stuff from him for my Donzi's.

(NJ)Scott

GEOO
11-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Nate,
The Blue Aeroquip FC234 is the only Aeroquip CG approved stuff I know of. $$$. Need brass or SS end's. Go with the brass. If you need to go with Car type SS hose's on any of the lines; some of the companies make hard coated end's & fittings instead of the anodized ones. The anodized ones could corrode in a few years.
I would run a Aeroquip line from the tank to the water sep. at least as large as the fuel pick up. #8 1/2" is good, # 10 5/8" is better, #6 3/8 will work, however down the line some fuel pumps may require the 5/8" to feed the pump. I would check the size of your tank pick-up.

Donzigo
11-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Nate,

All of the above-mentioned lines can be procurred down on Central Avenue in St. Petersburg, at the Goodyear Rubber Company. They will make anything you want while you wait. I've used them for years. They have it all.

Richard

BigGrizzly
11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
One thing no one has mentioned is the tank pickup the stock one is too small I instaled a 1/2 id one in my tank. If it is too small it doesn't matter how big the fuel line is. Warren and Garry found that many of the engine break downs were caused by fuel starvation from too small a pickups and/or small fuel filters. On my motor a 3/8 pickup is marginal. There you go Nate good luck.

Donzigo
11-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Nate,

Big Grizzley is right on the money. I had a 1/2 in one mounted on my newly built fule tank. 140 gallons was $900.

John W
11-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Just a note Parker also makes the blue fuel lines and has the brass and stainless reusable fittings and probably costs the same as the Aeroquip. I believe thew Partnumber of the hose is 22ifr.
Hope this helps.
John W

Donzigo
11-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Nate, have you put the fuel tank in yet?