PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Blowout and Nosecones

Rootsy
09-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Always kinda wondered this but never found a definite answer to the question... so i thought, what the heck, lets drum up some conversation...

At what speed range does the alpha begin to experience this and you then have to incorporate a nosecone such as on the SS to alleviate it... I assume that the higher the X is the sooner this occurs?

i have no fear that someone here has ALL of these answers!

HyperDonzi
09-03-2002, 02:38 PM
if i remember right, an alpha starts breaking at 80mph or 300hp. no idea on nosecones.

smoothie
09-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Jamie,
Talking with Hydromotive Engineering,they suggest a nosecone if you are running 70+mph,then and only then will you see any increase in speed,maybe 1 to 3 mph,so they say,I went ahead and put one on anyways,They kinda look cool :cool: Im running around 67 to 69 mph gps and didnt notice any speed increase,but the boat seems to steer alittle better.My problem that I had with my tank was that I was lifting the stern out of the water because of my lbs. and torx curve,I had to drop in pitch,and go with more rpm to get more bite and mph.

Doug L.
09-04-2002, 06:09 PM
I don't know about the Alpha.
But a merc inline 6 case with
no cone about 83. I wouldn't think
the Alpha to that speeb before blow
out.
Doug

Rootsy
09-04-2002, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info... reason i asked was i experienced blowout on the alpha a few weeks ago... funny how 2 small bumps can have such a dramatic effect on things... forgot to take the rabbit ears off when i dumped her in the water :rolleyes: 3000 rpm on it just felt like the coupler or prop hub went... had me worried for about 10 minutes while i limped it back to the dock... then i realized my "issue" and coulda kicked myself in the arse...

made me kinda ponder the hydrodynamics of that little leg hanging down there... wink