PDA

View Full Version : Nixon's Boats?

Kong
11-15-2003, 12:19 PM
This year we had a client come into our shop with this '68 18 footer. As you can see it has a unique deck! Supposedly this boat was one of 2 commissioned by the Secret Service for the Nixon Administration in Key Biscayne. From what the owner told me it had provisions for a couple of machine gun mounts. See closeup deck photo. It has a 302 w/Vee-Drive. Sorry - no pics of the engine compartment.
Can anybody out there confirm this history or provide more accurate details. We are all a little curious at the shop!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DPeterson1.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DPeterson2.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DPeterson3.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/DPeterson4.jpg

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

Jamesbon
11-15-2003, 01:46 PM
That, my friend, is a Corsican. For more info. do a search in the forums for "Corsican."

Islander
11-15-2003, 01:56 PM
I use to run around Biscayne Bay back in those days and the only boat I remember guarding Nixon's Key Biscayne house was a 27 Magnum. Never saw a machine gun mounted on that boat either.

Like these:

http://www.magnummarine.com/history/classics/27/27police.html

Ed Donnelly
11-15-2003, 02:26 PM
What the h**l do I know,but, I was under the impression the Secret Service ran 16's

Ed Donnelly
11-15-2003, 02:30 PM
SEE I told you I didn't know sh*t. Just re read the post. Wrong President!! It was the Secret Service for Johnson that ran the 16s...Ed

BUIZILLA
11-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Kong, I can virtually assure you that that boat was never used around here for those purposes, much less with a machine gun... the waters adjacent to the Nixon house and the helipad were too shallow. The Magnums were, however, on patrol 24-7, and I clearly remember those.

Marlin275
11-15-2003, 04:17 PM
posted July 09, 2001 09:29 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
THERE ARE PROBABLY A DOZEN 18'S
WITH VEE DRIVES. IF THE DRIVE IS CASALE, IT MIGHT BE A SECRET SERVICE BOAT
THAT WE BUILT FOR LAKE LBJ. IF IT IS
CRUSADER, IT IS A STOCK BOAT.

BROWNIE

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002137#000006
LBJ
Not Nixon

Islander
11-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Buizilla,

Hey Jim, were they out there 24/7 or only when Nixon was in town? Can't remember that far back.

I think I remember those magnums were coasties. But, I seem to have a short term loss of long term memory.

Manny

BUIZILLA
11-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Manny, when he, or the family was *visiting*, the coasties kinda hung around 24-7. They chased us away when we were water skiing by the sand flats or in the basin... more than a few times. They were pretty cool though, just doing their job. They would do lunch at KB yacht club sometimes.

J

Kong
11-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I figured that there would be more informed people down Fla way regarding this boat. I'm not all that familiar w/the Corsican. I guess it's still a fairly rare boat. Same hull as the 2+3? I'll pass the info on to the owner as he is as skeptical on the 'history' as I am.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Are those wooden hatches to either side of the cockpit? I haven't seen those on a Corsican before. It's hard to tell from the pictures whether they're bolted on top or if the cutouts are molded into the deck.
And, is the white light on the foredeck supposed to be the location of the alledged machine gun mount? It's certainly an odd place to mount the stern light.

Curious

FR :p

BigGrizzly
11-16-2003, 02:59 PM
They were LBJ boats To tour L:ake LBJ not Nixon. They were said to be 427 Ford Side oilers with V drives. John, Kathy and Shelby have a restored one. Nixon's House was patroled by Magnums.

mphatc
11-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Kong,

If you can, try to get the hull number from this boat. Originally a decal was mounted in the cockpit behind the rear seat upholstery. If it's no longer there, I suspect not, check under the dash, it should be written on the wood core under the fiberglass lamninate, likely on the starboard side of the cutout for the instrument cluster.

Has this boat been repainted?

There were only 54 Corsicans made, and I'm curious how many still exist.

If this customer of yours is interested I could make him some molds and knock offs of the correct hatch covers from mine.

FR,
Corsican's had their white nav light mounted on a removable pole ahead of the windsheild.

FWIW, this is the first 18' Vee Drive with a small block that I have heard of . . . ?

MPHATC
C18-32 Corsican

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Wow. You guys make this site awesome. Nearly every time I log onto this site I learn something else.
Endlessly fascinating and entertaining.

FR :p

olredalert
11-17-2003, 09:24 AM
-----In 1969 I was coming back in the cut in Ft,Lauderdale with three friends in my first Corsican.Attempting to show off a bit I was going a little too fast for conditions.Came off a big roller a little crooked at about 35-40 and came to an immediate complete halt.Bruised us all a bit,and tore one of the hatchs off.When I looked for it,after getting back a little composure,the hatch was about 100 ft. from the boat,floating,thank God!
------The hinges where they attach to the deck can not be thru bolted as there is no access.Makes solid attachment a little problematic........Bill S

mattyboy
11-17-2003, 09:34 AM
I heard the hatches on the Nixon boats were made of Rosemary Wood! and the tape decks in the stereos didn't work well!!! :p wink eek! :D

Matty
hehehehehe

Kong
11-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the exchanges. It takes me a while to get back to the computer after the work day.

To MPHATC - I will try to get hull # from Mike. I haven't seen the owner in a while. The boat has been repainted. It is a VERY dark green - almost black.

To Flatracer - Yes they are wooden hatches and they looked pretty ratty when I saw them. Also apparently the owner does have the gun mounts!

The boat is definately a small ford (maybe 289)and I am trying to find out the VEe-Drive manuf.

I agree w/Flatracer - this site is a trip!

The Kong. :D

mphatc
11-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Bill S,

I have the solution for lost hatches and loose fasteners . . .

1. Remove deck
2. Fabricate SS pieces that are threaded to match hinges
3. place hatches in place and permanantly mount hinges with through bolts and SS nylocks.
4. Reinstall deck.
5. Remember not to cheap out on hinges, don't buy the chrome plated zinc when they make a chrome plated bronze piece.

This is a more than 1 case of beer of job!

MPHATC
deck off, engine coming out, drive off, fuel tank is next . . . launching April 2004 . . YIKES!

olredalert
11-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Hey Mario,

--------Im there for everything but that pesky hull/deck seperation part.I guess Ill have to be extra careful that the latchs are always securely fastened,Huh!The latchs are one thing I really liked about your boat.Wish they would have used them from one end of Corsican production to the other..........Bill S

BigGrizzly
11-19-2003, 09:50 PM
All the LBJ boats were big blocks and I beleive blue and gold or some gold like color