PDA

View Full Version : Moving right along...gel coat pics

Jamesbon
11-13-2002, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty ecstatic at this point. The red & white gel looks deep, like the colors in a billiard ball.

Here's the hull while being buffed tonight.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/nschullgel.jpg

A shot of the perfectly smooth boot stripe.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctransomgel.jpg

Here's the deck. Note the blue dye used as a visual aid when sanding.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscdeckgel.jpg

Big fat red striped deck prior to sanding/buffing.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscdec1.jpg

pmreed
11-13-2002, 10:39 PM
Looking great Nate. Can't wait to see that beauty howling by, kicking up a whale of a roostertail. eek!

Phil

Wildfire
11-13-2002, 10:39 PM
Looking good!

I assume the blue is so you can tell where you have been?

Did you have to do a bunch of sanding before you started buffing?

mattyboy
11-14-2002, 06:27 AM
OUTSTANDING!!!!

HP 600SC
11-14-2002, 06:54 AM
Nice Nate!!! Told ya....Gel-coat all the way baby!!!
Ted

GEOO
11-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Nate,

She looks great.. Incredible!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to she her up close.

MOP
11-14-2002, 07:49 AM
I know that the first time you hit the throttle we up here in NY will see the Glare of the sun off your teeth from you smile! Looks beautiful Rots Of Ruck!

CDMA
11-14-2002, 08:02 AM
AWESOME NATE!!!!

Better get going on my 22...

Chris

Rick
11-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Nate looks awesome. The motors are finished for my 21. I need to post some pics. Your Gel is just beautiful. Keep up the good work. Rick

knee deep
11-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Boat looks great, Nate. What brand of paint did you use? I'm getting ready to do my 18 2+3 and the court is still out on how we are going to go about it - paint or gel,and if paint what paint?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Jamesbon
11-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Thanks Fellas!! :D

Me too Phil!!!

Wildfire,
When sanding, the blue marks any low spots in the gel. Keep sanding with a long flat sander or air file till the blue disappears. No more low spots. (the gel is thick to allow plenty of sanding) Yes, a bit of sanding was necessary before buffing. The gel sands easily with water and sand paper. I think we started with 320, then 600, then 800 and finally 1200. Then buffed.

Thanks Mattyboy!

Amen HP! I know paint may shine longer, but it's too thin in my opinion. Wait till I post a pic of the cleaned and waxed hull outside in the sunlight. I think any doubts about gel's "shininess" will be put to rest!

Thanks M.O.P. & GEOO.

Yeah, "secretive CDMA," what's the scoop with your rig?

Yes, Rick, WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PICS! I can't get enough GT pics...

Knee Deep, I used gel coat. I'll get the exact brand names and colors tonight, then post here. If you opt for paint, Pearson's got that method nailed down.

DOND
11-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Nate, The boat looks great! After following your posts I realize gel is the way to go. I am currently prepping my 69 16 for a re-gel. I am curious of what kind of blue dye are you using and how did you apply it.
Thanks, Don

CDMA
11-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Nate,

No secrets just no progress occuring...

Chris

I hate school.

Jamesbon
11-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Don,
We mixed the dye with acetone in a can, then used a rag to dip into the solution, then rubbed onto the gel. I'll get the manu. name and brand tonight for ya.

CDMA. I understand. Even if time's tight with the 22, you're heading in the right direction with school!

Stuart
11-14-2002, 03:28 PM
Nate,

Awsome.

You are like Captain Kirk, and have gone where no one has.

boldts
11-15-2002, 03:06 PM
Nate - Totally awsome man! Can't wait to see her in person and hopefully a ride? I'm yet to experience the Arneson magic. CDMA - School may bite now, but when you look back in a few years, you'll be very glad you stuck it out. Your an owner of another Arneson I will need to experience!

Cuda
11-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Looks outstanding Nate! Let me know when you are done with it so I can pull mine over there and have you do it too! :D

Sam
11-17-2002, 06:27 PM
Nate, when are you going to post her in the "Donzi Girl" section. cistineb

oldLenny
11-18-2002, 12:09 AM
...and the DYE manufacturer is...?

Jamesbon
11-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Thanks again Don, Stuart, Sam!

Anytime Boldts!

Full frontal, Madpoodle.

When I get my 4000 sq. ft. garage, we'll work something out Cuda wink

Lenny & Don,
We used Dykem (http://www.dykem.com/Products/MarkingSystems/LayoutFluids/steelbl.htm). Just mix a little with acetone, and it'll spread a long way with a rag.

DOND
11-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info Nate. I thought the blue looked familiar. Our machine shop at work uses dykem quite often.
Don

harbormaster
11-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Yeah Richard AAron (DonziGo) used that dye when he sanded out the oxidation on his stripe.

Donzigo
11-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Scot, just about to make that same post. My fiberglass man, who has been here for a few days tricking out the Z-33's little nicks, and I used the blue dye to make her pretty. Just as Jamesbon pointed out, the dye shows the high spots. It works just great. We used 400 then 600 then buffed with the dyd to bring back the gelcoat. What a difference.

Nice job with you boat, Nate. I want to see it. Is it in your garage on Madiera beach.

Give me your number again. I want to come see your boat. Mine is" 727-867-7020.

Richard

J&K SHAHBAS
11-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Nate looks great, its almost time to stuff that bad big block in the trunk. I,m looking forward to that big arneson flyin by the house on the way to shell island, my nieghbors are gonna love me this summer!!!!!!!

J K and soon to be S

Rootsy
11-19-2002, 11:24 AM
dykem machinist dye comes in both a brush on application and a spray can... you can also buy the remover in a spray can... my old buddy though has always been a can of black spray paint misted over the surface... all gets sanded off anyway... wink

rong
11-20-2002, 02:03 PM
WOW! Bet your buffing in your sleep but the result is beautiful!! "The future's so bright you gotta wear sunglasses." and good ones! The red looks really deep! cool!