PDA

View Full Version : ZX external battery posts

mjpcowboy
11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
I have seen posts which state you can remove batteries and use the external posts to raise and lower the hatch.
I am unable to do this with my 33 ZX. Without the batteries in I cannot raise or lower the hatch when a power pack is used on the external cabin posts. Even if I hook up shore power still no ability to raise or lower hatch with batteries out. The only way I can do this is to remove the bolt and lower by hand (very heavy).
Please let me know if you can do this with your boat. Thanks, Rick

Extreme Measures
11-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Cowboy Great question i would like to put something on my 33ZX also those hatches are very very heavy .If I figure something out I will let you know.I thought about putting a couple of terminal under the back seat to connect to if batteries are dead.I have see some of those connector on tow trucks. Take Care
Extreme Measures

springs
11-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Has anyone rigged an automated engine hatch on a classic?

daboys
11-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Cowboy,
I have a 2001 28 ZXO with twin batteries under the hatch. I disconnected the battereies and remove for winter storage. I can hook up a battery to the jumper posts you refer to and with the correct battery switch setting can raise and lower the hatch. I can only do this if the battery switches are in the correct setting - I forget what they are but trial and error won't take too long.

Darrell
11-11-2003, 12:43 PM
On my 26ZX with a single battery system I am able to raise the hatch with the external post without the battery. As mention above the battery switch must be in the correct position.

Darrell

mjpcowboy
11-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I guess mine is defective, tried to connect power pack, battery, and shore power with switches on and off. No luck unless battery is connected inside engine compartment. I thought it should work as described. Thanks, Rick

McGary911
11-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Something else to check is if the external posts have separate connections to the battery than does the rest of the electrical system. Then when you unhook them,along with the battery theyre not hooked to anything. If this is the case, just bolt them together without the battery and youll have a complete circuit again.

As for 22s with a hydrolic hatch? Criterions have hydrolic hatches, with the ram looking an awful lot like a mercruiser outdrive ram. That's how they came. I have to add some external posts under the bench seat, just in case i run down the batteries one day.....

Digger
11-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Rick the only time I've used the external posts the (dead) batteries were still in the boat.

Rodger
11-12-2003, 08:28 AM
[As for 22s with a hydrolic hatch? Criterions have hydrolic hatches, with the ram looking an awful lot like a mercruiser outdrive ram. That's how they came.

Criterions and F22's all came with the hydrolic hatch. Unlike most of the power hatches I've seen, these hydrolic hatches are very fast and quiet. On the newer 22's, there won't be as much clearance under the engine cover. That may be a problem fitting the power mechanism in.

MOP
11-12-2003, 08:45 AM
I have done a couple with the jumper posts off in a corner of the cockpit exposed for easy access, used chrome on brass acorn nuts to give it a nice look. Someone will ask what your shiney nuts are for, you can play that one by ear! :D

Scubado
11-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Winterized the boat (2000 22ZX) not to long ago and I used the external posts to lower the hatch and the drive as well. You must have a wiring problem somewhere.

My concern has always been, what to do if the electric motor burns out when the hatch is down. Has anyone considered that issue? There is no access short of cutting holes through the engine compartment that I can see...

MOP
11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Many of the boats I have worked on had a slot at the top of the screw jack so the hatch can be lifted up and off the upper pivot bolt and the jack just swings away. They must have a down limit switch or have them mounted at the end of travel, never looked.