PDA

View Full Version : Differences between lxr 21' and z20-22

Brian L'Ecuyer
11-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Hello,

I am shopping open bow's and wonder what was changed between the two models?

Is there a reason donzi was not succesful with the small boats? They are not in current production?

Thanks!!

Brian

mattyboy
11-13-2002, 02:18 PM
Brian,
Donzi is very successful with small boats
the 16, 18, 22 classic, when people think Donzi this is the boat they're thinking of. The z boats are very good boats but everyone and their mother makes a 21 bow rider some cheap some expensive, some good some bad, when you think of offshore the 22zx, 26zx,28zx,33zx,45zx are the real deals,
I think Donzi as found is niche in the market.
hi-po boats from 16-45 feet. welcome to the board
there are many who have the z boats also look at the top of the page and go to model list that might answer some of your questions

Matt

Brian L'Ecuyer
11-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the pointer.

I really should've worded my question
...was not succesful with these small boats?

As the classics have certainly been successful.

The model list only has pictures.

Is there more data somewhere?

z22owner
11-14-2002, 04:19 PM
I own a '99 z22 open bow and I love it. Actually I am forced to sell it b/c we had a baby. Wife says it has to go.
I have it listed in this sites classifieds.
I have had 2 other open bows (Larson & Sea Ray) neither have the performance that Donzi has with their stepped hull.

Kevin

Mark Nelson
11-14-2002, 04:59 PM
Brian,

As far as I know, the 21LXR and 22Z are identical other than graphics and engine packages that change year to year. Both are same length, width, have same degree of deadrise, same step, etc. The LXR's were 97? to 98 and the Z's 98 to 01 or 02 (not sure when the last one rolled out - just found out that they were discontinued)

I bought mine several years ago after looking at a lot of boats. I really wanted a 22 classic or ZX but had to have something that could carry my wife, kids, their friends, our friends, etc. and still be able to pull a tube or wakeboarder. I haven't been disappointed at all.

The quality on this boat is far greater than most of the ones I looked at. Several brands use cheap accessories and a lot have screwed in cleats, grab rails, etc. (One didn't even through bolt the motor mounts)
Everything on mine is solid and has taken a pretty good beating over the years without anything breaking.
There are some quality open bow boats out there, but there's also a lot of junk too.

Pricing is probably why they were not as successful. Let's face it, there are a lot of bow riders on the market that are "priced to sell" - but, you get what you pay for.

MN

last year -

http://www.donzi.net/photos/MNelson01.jpg

another -

http://www.donzi.net/photos/MNelson02.jpg

I don't think we would all fit on a ZX -

http://www.donzi.net/photos/MNelson03.jpg

Brian L'Ecuyer
11-15-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the post.

I also notice a difference in upholstery though not much.

Do you have a 5.0 or 5.7 ?

I am leaning toward the lxr - mostly because it is about $10k less than a used 22z.

My only real problem is getting a boat. They are scarce on the west coast where I live(Sacramento). I have found a couple in the east but it gets expensive fast to have one shipped/towed and there is not a chance I can take the time to do it myself.

Thanks again.

Brian

Brian L'Ecuyer
11-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the post.

I also notice a difference in upholstery though not much.

Do you have a 5.0 or 5.7 ?

I am leaning toward the lxr - mostly because it is about $10k less than a used 22z.

My only real problem is getting a boat. They are scarce on the west coast where I live(Sacramento). I have found a couple in the east but it gets expensive fast to have one shipped/towed and there is not a chance I can take the time to do it myself.

Thanks again.

Brian

Jackson148
11-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi Brian:
If you haven't bought a boat yet, I have a brand new 2000, Donzi Z20 on the floor right now that I would be willing to let go CHEAP! This is a great boat and every bit a DONZI! I think the reason that this 20 didn't catch on was PRICE. MSRP on this 20 footed is $36,900. Big Bucks for a 20 foot open bow.
You can see this boat at our BoatTraderOnLine page. Go to The Boat Store and search our gallery. E-mail me at: jack@theboatstoreerie.com if you would like more information.