PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing, Is this everything?

HyperDonzi
11-10-2002, 08:07 AM
Were gona do it today for the first time...

Run anti freeze through until it comes out the exhaust.

fog it (we have about 1/2, is that enough?)

oil, plug, rotor cap, plug wire change in the spring along with some carbon buster :)

Approx how much anti freeze do we need for a 4.3??

mattyboy
11-10-2002, 11:37 AM
pull plugs in block
remove battery
drain refill outdrive
pull prop re grease
grease steering ram (volvo) not sure on a merc

should do it

Matt

HyperDonzi
11-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Pulling all the plugs will let all the anti freeze out?? Corrosion will set in wont it?

Battery- got it

All oil will be changed in the spring.

prop re grease? Pull the prop and re grease the shaft?

mattyboy
11-10-2002, 02:07 PM
the antifreeze is for the nook and crannies that don't drain , ice is more damging than corrosion!

yes remove the prop and re grease the spline this way it does sieze together ask MoodyBlu about that!!! also don't leave the drive up sometimes water can get into the center of a thru hub exhaust prop and freeze and crack the hub .

changing oil is done so that the acids that built up in the oil as it breaks down don't sit in the engine all winter same for the drive.
as well if you have water in the drive oil it could freeze and well we're back to the ice thingy

do a search on this subject I believe it was S Boldts who summed it up best

Matt

RickR
11-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Both sides of block and manifolds need to be drained (water) before antifreeze is added.

Add Sta-Bil to fuel before last startup.

Top batteries off with distilled water and fully charge.

Loosen belts.

Grease gimball and universal joints.

Air 22
11-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Matt..
Make sure you run engine up to temp then add antifreeze.. you want to make sure the thermostat cycles open and close w/ antifeeze in it. you could keep an electric blanky on her for those cold nights....Just kidding :D :D seriously you can do something as simple as keep a light-bulb on in the engine compartment on the coldest nights to prevent freezing...or add a block heater. Win the lottery and build her a garage...heated wink or buy a place near Poodle and avoid the whole "winter" issue. I'm in the same "boat" as you but here in VA its been nice enough not to winterize yet!! :)

mattyboy
11-11-2002, 08:25 AM
Air,
I have a sump pump in a 5 gallon bucket, run the boat for 10 minutes or so with a hose in the bucket then shut the hose off and pour antifreeze in the bucket probably 5 gallons or so til it comes out pipe then fog then shut down and then drain.
the other thing I forgot was on mine there a plug on the circulating pump that comes out as well

Matt

Ranman
11-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Although only part of my winter routine, is there any major issue with the following?

Drain block and manifolds
Replace drain plugs
Disconnect four hoses at front water manifold
Pour antifreeze down each of the four hoses until full (about 3 gallons)

Also, does anybody actually take out their spark plugs and fog each cylinder individually?

RickR
11-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Ranman
The lagre hose going to the circulating pump and the oil/power steering cooler also need to be drained. :D
I only fog during the last idle of the season but Donzi is only winterized for 4 months :D Time to go fishing in the "Other Boat"

Air 22
11-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Question?? If the block has anti-freeze in it from running the engine(hose in bucket of anti-freeze) Do you still pull out the drain plugs on the lower block?(454 MAG) If so isn't the area now exposed to the air causing possible rust vs leaving in anti-freeze avoiding/reducing this problem? :confused: :confused:

HyperDonzi
11-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Thats what I was wondering too??

RedDog
11-12-2002, 02:45 PM
Drain the water, put plugs back in, fill with anti-freeze OR

· Grease gimbal
· Grease steering cable
· Change oil
· Change outdrive lube
· Add Sta-bil at the last outing
· Warm up and fog
· Drain fuel bowl
· Loosen belts (tighten in spring)
· Spray engine with CRC 656 (clean and re-spray in Spring)
· Drain manifolds (4 drains each), Block (drain each side), Oil cooler (2 drains)
· Remove drain screw on drive water pump. Blow out hoses with air.
· Remove large hose on engine water pump and drain.
· Put drain plugs back in
· Fill block and manifolds with antifreeze (Drain and save in spring for next season
· Need approximately 8 gallons antifreeze - use full strength
· Fill block through large hose at thermostat housing
· Oil and power steering cooler and seawater pump through sea water hose (the one with the copper adapter) antifreeze will run out of seawater pump (On back side of drive)
· Manifolds and risers through 2 small hoses connected to thermostat housing (antifreeze will run out of tail pipes)
· Store with the bow UP and the drive down. Best bet may be some kind of tarp over the stern and drive, do not cover the whole boat (water will condense under the cover)

mattyboy
11-12-2002, 03:00 PM
the way it was expalined to me by and old timer
was ice is the enemy,rust is bad but not as bad as ice. so we run the antifreeze thru it to coat and protect from corrosion any liquid can freeze so that's why we drain and leave plugs out, the old timer has a 30 something woody with the original 6 cyl hercules engine he been doing it that way for almost a century so I think it's ok

Matt

Ranman
11-12-2002, 03:49 PM
8 Gallons! Wow! I only got my MAG 350 to hold about 3.

OK where is the oil/PS cooler located? Will it have the same blue wing nut drain thingies?

HyperDonzi
11-12-2002, 04:56 PM
3 gallons? my neighbor only used 1 and maybe a 5 sec spray of fogging oil so all it costed us this year was another gallon of antifreeze just to be safe :)

Difference between my neighbor and all of every other boater: his will work ok in the summer!!

It is a step up from his last boat, a 17 Rinker that was DRY started (no hose) every 2 weeks in the winter!!!! The only damage he had in 13 years with the boat was some cracked seats from not having a cover and a LOT of beer stains....

Rootsy
11-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Randy,

if your motor is like mine... cept you have injection.. the PS cooler is at the back of the motor off of the back of the intake manifold... just a small heat exchanger... there is no blue plug in it... the blue plug is in the tube connecting the hose from the ps cooler to the hose to the water pump on front of motor... mine is located at the lowest point int he hose routing system... port side by the oil pan... i DO KNOW that older mercs have the ps cooler located where my tube is located and there is a drian plug in it...

Root

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-12-2002, 07:35 PM
As far as the block goes we:
-Mix ten gallons of Prestone in a trash can, on a hose to a submersible pump, ears on the other end.
-Run engine on hose water, thermostat opens, stop engine, drain the 5 blue plugs.
-Switch to ears & pump, add 2 cycle oil to fuel filter, fire moter, run 10 gallons, done.
-Bubble sample each blue plug afterwards.

Baja, listen to the NORTHERN guys, they know best.
They deal with deep cold more often than I.
Bryan