PDA

View Full Version : live chat room here,what do u think,harbormaster

fasttrucker
11-09-2002, 02:14 PM
went to that other boating site last night.did live chat with catmondo. wink cool! she seemed nice but i didnt see her here in the donzi girl section.what do u think about offering the live chat room here.maybe u should place a poll?

HyperDonzi
11-09-2002, 02:53 PM
This is one of the most brought up ideas!!! Harbormaster always seems to say that it isnt a good idea because of all the good information that will be lost. Then again, on OSO, there isnt much boating talk in the chat room...

harbormaster
11-09-2002, 04:21 PM
OK OK I will work on it...

HyperDonzi
11-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Wow, after a while guys, we finally made him crack!!!! wink

Ranman
11-09-2002, 08:33 PM
Hurray!!!! Scot, I understand and respect how you feel about the subject, but we've had an absolute blast in the OSO chat room. Glad to hear you'll consider the idea. I've really had a lot of fun chatting with other D.n members in the OSO room. I really don't think we'll lose any valuable info. I suspect it will bring a lot of us closer together. Randy

florida gator
11-09-2002, 09:18 PM
I too have chatted with members from this site, and would enjoy having more things in common to chat about. I do not know if a chat room here would not be effective. Although I get more info (pertaining to my boating style) from here than the other site, they have many more actively participating members. The chat room there has only recently been active, and is usually way over my head.

BigGrizzly
11-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Onproblem is good stuff will be lost and never found correctly. Idon't use chat for that reason

fasttrucker
11-10-2002, 03:15 PM
its more of a social thing.a chance to get to know others a bit better.maybe it should only be open on weekends or at night.i think it would be fun. :)

HyperDonzi
11-10-2002, 03:25 PM
What about time zones and all that Fasttrucker? I was on another message board that met at 6pm (Cali time) took me a month to figure out why no one was in there when I was... Have it open all the time like on OSO, then someone post up a topic about chatting at what time and day etc.

Just my .02
Tommy

Ranman
11-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Griz, In my experience, I have found that what you are describing is not really a problem. Trucker is right, it's a way for us to get to know each other better, not to discuss technical issues. The technical stuff is better suited for the message board with archiving capabilities.

mattyboy
11-11-2002, 09:39 AM
I like the chat idea,
and I find tech talk is kinda hard in a chat format to fast paced, and it is a great way to get to know one another.

Matt

GEOO
11-11-2002, 04:21 PM
The chat lines are fun, However, I like having the questions and info posted for all to see and or benefit from.

Ranman
11-11-2002, 04:52 PM
I would like to see a chat room here so I don't have to go over to the dark side to have a bit of fun.

I think it's important to note that "live chat" and "message board" are two completely different different formats of communication and are not meant to replace or be a substitute for one another. Both formats have their pro's and cons, my argument is why not take advantage of both? (Rhetorical Scot, I know you're looking into it) I certainly don't see any information being lost from the message boards on that "other" site and the chat room can be quite amusing and entertaining. People don't use them for the same purpose.

The message board: An awesome source of information. It is permanent, searchable and the past is easily archived. Information can be posted and seen/read by all members over a long period of time. Great exposure for messages, questions and answers It is not, however, in real time and direct personal communication is not possible.

The chat room: A terrible place for information retention, archiving or longevity. One must be there in order to receive any information. Data is not stored and is therefore lost after a short term. A chat room is, however in real time and users are in direct communication with one another. It has a warmer, more personal feel since you know someone is actually at the other end.

I would like to think that since the members of that "other" place can properly distinguish the proper way to use the two formats, the more sophisticated members of Donzi.net could easily follow suit.

As an example, I would never enter a chat room and announce the dates for the next MI gathering to whommever is in the room at the time and then expect EVERYONE to get the info. I would know to use the message board, where that info belongs, for ALL MEMBERS to see. Anyway, I hate to sound like a "chat activist", and I never chat on the internet anywhere else other than that "other" site (only because I can't do it here). I've just met a lot of friends here and I think it could be used to bring us all a bit closer. Whatever happens...it's cool. Randy

smoothie
11-11-2002, 08:20 PM
I think its a great way to get to shoot the s!@t with everyone,I just dont think I can type the s!@t fast enough... :D

harbormaster
11-12-2002, 04:02 AM
OK. I have something up to test.

http://www.donzi.net/chat/chatform.html

We will need to be on line at a certsin time to try it out. How about 7:30 Central standard time tonite (tuesday)?

MOP
11-12-2002, 06:32 AM
Live chat is a nice way to get on a more personal level. But I think there are some pitfalls from what I have been told by some friends. They said a malicious person can get your IP, then flip you bad files, bugs etc. What are the thoughts on that issue.

Ranman
11-12-2002, 08:04 AM
I will log on tonight to try it out. 7:30 Central equals 8:30 Eastern right?

florida gator
11-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah Ran that is 8:30 our time. I will be unable to participate this eve. Someone post tommorow as to how it works.

harbormaster
11-12-2002, 10:27 AM
I don't have to participate. You guys can do anytime even during the day. Just let me know how it works.

Digger
11-12-2002, 01:06 PM
Scot it works, I just got done talking with myself, nobody else on. But the mechanics of it seem to work fine

RedDog
11-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Yep - I talked to myself earlier too. It was nice to have someone listening :cool:

HyperDonzi
11-12-2002, 02:37 PM
I would have guessed it would be IRC, dosent seem like it would be to easy to get an IP on this one. I will be there at 8:30 tonight.

HyperDonzi
11-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Only thing I dont like is how we can sign in as whomever. Try John Doe or Harbormaster and you can be whoever.

Ranman
11-12-2002, 07:45 PM
The application does not seem to work. Jamie and I are trying, but we can only get the automated message.

Scot, The Java Chat App at OSO seems pretty nice, and I think it's free. Is there any reason we couldn't use the same thing here???

Rootsy
11-12-2002, 07:48 PM
yeah sheesh.. see what happens when you let riff raff like us in there... we just go right off and break it... :rolleyes:

guess they don't call him "lake winni trash" for nothin... :D

roadtrip se
11-12-2002, 07:50 PM
I can see my posts, but nobody else's...

I hate hanging out on the dark side...

Todd

CDMA
11-12-2002, 07:52 PM
Me three...

roadtrip se
11-12-2002, 07:56 PM
anybody for offshore only?

mattyboy
11-12-2002, 09:05 PM
can u hear me now??

can u hear me now?

can u hear me now??

only kidding Scot, thanks for the effort I know you'll get it right

Matt :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Great talking to some of you guys tonight, that was fun.
Nothing like a 3 way Donzi phone call REMOTE shot.
Bryan