PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Info. and Small Block Chevy pistons vs cam lift Question

Ralph Savarese
10-14-2000, 09:06 PM
I disassembled my engine and to my amazement
There is absolutely no wear at all and also no scale rust on the water jackets. Not bad for a hecto of Mexico $1100 small block that got the sh... beat out of it in salt water for 5 years. The head bolts came right out. That Teflon sealer worked great on the bolt threads. For all you guys that are considering head re torquring I would not do it on a small block the reasons of not disturbing that sealer once it has been installed. Take it from experience rotating those headbolts once the sealer has hardened will cause water intrusion that will rot the head bolt threads.
By the way Chris don't forget to put that on yours, especially in salt water cooling Well getting to the question.

The cam I am planning on using is a Crane hydraulic cam with a .454/. 480 lift
The pistons are Federal Mogul Hypereutectic with a .275 dome. Unfortunately 76 cc chambers is what I have which gives me 10.1:1 .I was worried about valve clash problems any body know if this is acceptable? Has any body had experience with these pistons before? Can they be used with the stock rods and rings or any special cylinder wall clearance I have to watch out for?
Ralph

Paul O,
I have sent you some e-mail are you out there? Haven't herd back.

GEOO
10-15-2000, 09:35 AM
Ralph, Did you look at Keith Black Piston? http://www.kb-silvolite.com/1toc.htm
Jegs sells them. http://www.jegs.com/ (type in Keith Black in the search BOX) You can buy them with relief cuts or dished to give you lower compression. With iron heads and normal fuel I would go no higher then 9.5:1. GEoo

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 10-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 10-15-2000).]

Ralph Savarese
10-15-2000, 12:00 PM
Geoo, I am not really concerned about the compresson issue i ran 10.0 in my fords. You can get away with it because the engine temp is low and it doses not detonate. My major concern is with that lift will it hit dome pistons .KB pistons are a little cheeper from Jegs and also might use those instead ,but to get that compresson with those heads i must use domes
Ralph

GEOO
10-15-2000, 08:47 PM
Ralph, not sure on the clearances. My old 383 had KB's (9.5:1) and I even ran some Nitrous with no problems. Keep us posted on your progress. Sounds fun!!! GEOO

rayjay
10-16-2000, 10:11 AM
Ralph,

Even if the piston manufacturer or someone on this list says the pistons can be used with a certain lift, CHECK IT!! The valve pockets in the piston my not necessarily line up with the valves in your head, especially if you have changed the guides, milled the head. decked the block, installed larger valves, or even if YOU haven't done anything. Core shift on a stock head can be enough especially if you are using a cam/valve train set up that increases the lift or duration. Also, the cam timing can play a significant part in this. It is better to be safe than sorry, believe me I am saying this from personal experience. rayjay