PDA

View Full Version : Rigging

RickR
10-11-2000, 08:15 PM
Over the winter I plan on re-rigging the 22 the way she should have been put togeather originally.
The engine, and most of the hardware and rigging has been removed.
The hull is at the fiberglass man's getting blueprinted.
I plan on leaving all the hardware off for a couple of months to let any moisture dry out.
On my 1995 22 very little of the hardware and none of the screws or snaps were caulked at the factory.

I will epoxy all the exposed wood (like on the balsa in the lifting ring holes) and use polysulfide, 4200, or 5200 on the rest ot the hardware.

All you guys that have done restorations, are there any places I need to pay particular attention to?
I plan on keeping this Donzi many years and would like prevent future problems.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 10-11-2000).]

GEOO
10-11-2000, 08:38 PM
Rick, Check for holes in stringers and bulkheads, the factory may have made for drainage. Older Donzi had wood in the dash, the cutouts for the gauges could use resin over the bare wood. Check the air scoop cutouts in the deck. Did they resin coat the transom for the outdrive hole and the exhaust? How did the bottom look? God luck with the project. Keep us posted.GEOO

Scott Pearson
10-11-2000, 08:55 PM
Rick,
Check the drain holes that are drilled in the floors, rear seat area and the ski rack. Sometimes the factory will drill through a little bit of the balsa or wood. This type of screw-up will rot out real quick. All the water does is soak up and never dries out in these areas.

(NJ)Scott

RickSE
10-11-2000, 09:09 PM
I just had all the hardware and windshield off on my 96. Everything looked pretty good accept for the fact that they didn't countersink the screw holes for the windshield. Most of them had starting to crack outwards, so I countersunk them all. Looked like all the major holes in my deck were coated. I re-installed all the hardware screws with silicone.

RickR
10-11-2000, 09:35 PM
GEOO
The hull looks BAD http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif thats the original reason for her to be in the fiberglass shop.
Had a big dent port side under the cross member in front of the engine. And the deck was screwed on crooked.
The vent holes were and tramsom mount cutout were resined. The area around the instruments and the lifting rings were not. Those items will be epoxied.
What do you think 4200 for the motor mounts? Looks like Donzi used 5200 but they did not clean the resin wax off so they came loose easily.

Scott
I'll check the drain holes (I forgot about you're previous post). Enlarge holes and coat with epoxy if the wood is showing?

RickS
Mine were not countersunk either. Check around you're snaps, my gelcoat was cracking there also.
For that I prefer Polysulfide (Boatlife) to Silicone.

Another strange thing was my seat pedistals were screwed in so they did not line up with the steering wheel. The pedistal screws are T I G H T, tight. They feel like they were epoxied in.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1261326&a=9330578&p=30476576&Sequence=0&res=high

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 10-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 10-18-2000).]

CDMA
10-11-2000, 10:13 PM
Rick,

I have used almost all of the sealing products over the years. The more I use the boat life products wether it be life seal, or life caulk the more I am impressed. With the esception othe the transom housing (4200)I used their products exculusively on my boat. I used 4200 on the transom gousing primarily because I had a huge tube and wanted to use it. I never use 5200 anymore. It is a a great product but it really has few if any benifits over 4200 and just is harder to get off if you ever have to. I think the only thing I would consider using 5200 on is something under the waterline but still I would probably not.

Is the 22 the same color as the 18?

Also what are your plans for the engine, drive and rest of the 22. Also I would like to hear your revised opinions on the 22 vs. 18 argumant as well as if you would do it over again.

Chris

RickR
10-17-2000, 07:56 PM
CDMA
In my circles the name goes with the owner so the 22 is named "Genuine Risk". As with most names there is a story behind it.

She's white w/dark blue, eventually I would like to change the blue to black.

The 502 will have to wait till I sell the 18.
This winter I'll install a Gil exhaust and a better flowing air cleaner along with rerigging and blueprinting the hull. I all ready installed the electronics, and bought a cover and prop (Mirage Plus 23).

As for the differences between the 18 and the 22.
Most my adult passengers (especially the BOSS) prefer the 22 and I have to admit the 22 is much more comfortable and safer offshore. Jeez I'm getting OLD!

But kids, especially my boating buddie's 4 year old twins and I prefer the 18, what they call "Risky Boat". They LOVE HER. All I hear from the twins is is "Faster Faster" or
"Big turn Uncle Rick, Big Turn!"

The ride is very different. Of course the throttle response is much greater in the 18 and she also runs alot freeier with the rocker in the hull.

With the straight hull the 22 will run slower, is more stable and wants to run at a horizontal attitude (I use the tabs more with the 22)

BTW; Although it is a work of art,
I HATE the winshield on the 22. To bad there are too many holes to fill to leave it off.

Also to me the 18 will with her lines will always be THE Classic. Seems like I read somewhere Don said " No curve without a reason".

Would I do it over again? I guess so. The 18 is a better lake boat but the 22 is better offshore. What we all really need is about 5+ boats.

Canoe
Flat bottom aluminum
18 Donzi with a 420HP/454
22 Donzi with Silent Choice and a 502
24 Center Console fishing boat with twin outboards
31 Bertram with twin 315 HP Cummins
60 Ribovich with V/12 Cats or Manns
Whoops I guess we need at least 7.

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 10-17-2000).]