PDA

View Full Version : repowering a 16

chazzr
10-11-2000, 05:07 PM
been a long time since i've been on the board even though i wasn't a regular when i was on i still enjoyed reading everybody's posts. now i actually need some help. i recently came into some money which is a rarity for a college kid but anyways i want to re-power my 16. i have a 289 interceptor in there now and a eaton lower unit...no its not a volvo with the eaton name its an eaton. anyways i have about 5000 to spend and want to repower the engine still runs so if i have to i'll keep it in there and just put a new lower unit in any help would be appreciated. thanks and may your waters always be smooth unless you like to get air.

chazz
chazzr@aol.com

BigGrizzly
10-11-2000, 07:46 PM
Repower with a 302 it eits with minor changes think you have the early bellhousing new ones are cheep. the drive is strong, parts are interchangable vith the volvo. Exhausts will bolt on. this is the easy way. we did this to my sister's 1966 16 footer.

Emmo
10-11-2000, 10:58 PM
I repowered my 1970 Holman Moody with a Ford Motorsports 5.0 HO long block. This motor was a very good buy at $2,300 list (I actually bought it from a Ford Motorsports dealer for a good bit less). It is much beefier than the original with heavy-duty piston rods, double-row timing chain, high volume oil pump, etc. and has composite head gaskets with stainless crush rings so it makes a great marine engine. It also has higher compression and a roller hydraulic camshaft which gives it more torque than the original and it also pulls the same prop to more RPMs. If you want to build your own, go the route that Forrest did, 'cause his 16 will fly! I've had mine in the boat and running for two whole seasons and it hasn't missed a beat or burned a drop of oil. There are some things that you will have to do to mate the new style engines with the old hardware, like using the old oilpan and pickup, because the new ones are rear sump. You will also need to get a different flywheel as the new engines are balanced differently. A 302 is all the motor I think you will need as Forrest's 302 powered boat is scary enough (I think he said the GPS read 67 mph at 4800 rpm and I saw 5000 rpm right before the new interior started to fly out).

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

CDMA
10-11-2000, 11:50 PM
Emmo,

Keep in mind that the Alpha SS Forrest is running is a beast of a differnt nature than a Volvo. Big time.

chazzr, well it is good to see another college student. I did what you did last winter except being blessed with a few hard earned bucks I did the whole thing. I think the best deal for a repower could be a complete powertrain. I got a 350 chevy and a stronger than the eaton 280 volvo drive out of Paul O's boat for $1500 complete. I mean everything down to the shift cables. I literally could have picted up the package and droped it into my boat piece by piece with no changes. I like the Chevy's becasue they are much more common in marine applications, more powerful ( ci) and generally cheaper. It does require a new bell housing and mounts and is much more work but in the end do I think it was worth it....absolutely. I would be happy to talk to you about anything regarding Donzi's especially to another student aiting to make the bucks to blay witht he big boys....Forrest you are hard to keep up with....

Chris Allard
Webb Institute of Naval Arcitecture