PDA

View Full Version : Qjet Choke

EricG
10-10-2000, 01:17 PM
While I was getting the Z21 all put to bed for the winter, I took the Spark Arrestor off and realized that there is no linkage on the Choke for my Qjet. All of the "levers", etc. are there, but they are not connected to anything. The motor is a factory '87 350MAG with the HighRise and 4Bbl. I have an invoice that came with the boat showing that a new Carb was put on, but it does have the Mercruiser tag on the Carb.

Here are my questions;
First, it looks to me like the choke is always closed....is there some sort of internal linkage that would allow it to open?
Second, would not having the choke linkage be a possible cause of my boat "loading-up" at idle after it gets hot?
I'm certainly not a carb expert, and I'm not going to get to play with any of this until next spring, but it seems to me that this could be causing some sort of performance hit...

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!!

EG

PaulO
10-10-2000, 02:14 PM
Eric,
Unless the choke butterfly is binding, it should swing open and stay open without linkage attached. If it is staying closed you will never run for more than a few moments. If it is partially closed, you can have a rich condition. I run my Q-Jet without a choke and wire the butterfly open just for piece of mind. You can also remove the butterfly or, of course, fix it so it works properly.
PaulO

Jamesbon
10-10-2000, 02:25 PM
That's funny, my Q-Jet characteristics are identical to EricG's. Everything used to run fine though (7 months ago). I'll wire her open for the 388 ci., thanks PaulO.
Nathan

EricG
10-11-2000, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all of the info...Of course I noticed this after I had already got her ready for winter....so I couldn't start it up and check. Now I have something to think about for 6 months.....Thanks again.

EG