PDA

View Full Version : Finally, and still alive!

GeneD
10-09-2000, 10:10 AM
Well I spent all day on Sunday finishing up assembly and installing the awesome 5.7 Liter Factory Roller Cam Mercruiser into 007.

http://www.donzi.net/finally.jpg

Found out some interesting things.
For instance...before installing the engine into the boat, I broke out the motor mount jig to set the MM height. For anyone that doesn't know what a MM jig is...let me explain. It is a big ole fixture that fits onto the transom plate and has a shaft that slides into the gimble bearing. Before installing the MM jig, you must take the MM's off the engine and temporarily install them onto the jig. The jig kinda takes the place of the engine. Once the jig is in place, you can adjust the MM's to the proper height. Then remove the jig, remove the MM's from the jig, and install the MM's onto the MM brackets that are still on the motor. For this set-up, you only remove the threaded lower half of the MM.
So after doing all this, I noticed that both MM's were practically in the full down position. Contrary to the full up and full down positions that was previously on the motor mounts.
"Hmmm," I said to myself, "I wonder if that was why I cracked everything in my old motor?"
Not actually believing that I had done something wrong to my boat in the past, I got out the alignment tool.
The alignment tool is a huge rod that takes the place of the input shaft of the outdrive, and of course, aids in alignment. Another necessary tool for this kind of work.
Lo and behold! The alignment is perfect. Unlike the past where we had to screw with it to go in. The damn thing goes right in.
Don't know...don't care at this point.
Motor is in, today I'll clean up and get ready to start.
Installation went as smooth as it could go, except for one thing. The Merc's must be installed with the front of the motor facing left, and rotated clockwise as it is being lowered into the engine compartment. This is to provide clearance for the power steering unit. Forgot about that after lowering the motor all the way in, and trying to rotate CCW.
More on this later guys.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 10-09-2000).]

Scott Pearson
10-09-2000, 04:45 PM
Gene,
I'm a little lost on the whole power steering thing. I have the same motor set-up in my 68' and I had not problem at all lowering the motor straight down between the stringers. I set-up the mounts with the motor bolted to the gimbal housing. The power steering unit was not an issue.

I did not cut the stringers at all, like many boats I have seen. Even factory. I machined the motor mounts down and fitted them inbetween the stringers. Worked great!

(NJ) Scott

GeneD
10-10-2000, 08:50 AM
Curious isn't it?
I just can not get the damn thing in the engine compartment without turning the motor a full 90 degrees CCW. It doesn't appear that the compartment is long enough, or the motor is too long!
Could be the way I have it hung on the chain?
I like to keep the motor rather level with the stringers so that I don't have any trouble with the fiber washers and the springs falling off the transom plate, as they inevitably do when you forget to silicone them to the mount.
I do seem to remember that the motor 'could' go in straight, but the way the hoist is, the motor must constantly be adjusted forward or backward because of the way the boom travels when going up or down. I have enough scratches on the edges of my drip rails thank you http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif, and I didn't want to make more!
I wonder if anyone else has this problem? Who else has an older 18 that recently did a motor job?
Also, Scot, check out this picture, front to back the thing is packed in there! Good thing I have the 3 hatch. Notice you can step on either side of the motor to do your stuff!
I am so happy to have installed the remote oil fliter. Changing that out previously was an exercise in patience. I also found out that I now have a 6 quart capacity. Cool!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

CDMA
10-10-2000, 09:07 AM
Gene,

Ym '68 Barrel back single hatch has a small block in it. It is as simple as possible with no power steering or anything. I still rotate the engine close to 90 degrees to get it through the hatch.

Chris

PaulO
10-10-2000, 09:28 AM
I am with Gene and Chris. Must rotate 90 degrees. I can do it blindfolded now! Next attempt will be blindfolded with only one hand. Gene, as basic as it is, I never thought of siliconing (is that a word?) the fiber washers and springs. I just keep fishing them out of the bilge.
PaulO

GeneD
10-10-2000, 09:42 AM
PaulO,
My buddy is Merc certified, ("certifiable" in my opinion!) and he tells me that this is the way Merc says to do it.
Normally, you do it the night before. Of course, no one ever thinks to do it the night before due to all the kaos involved in an ametuer motor installation.
And man, let me tell you that I really feel for you. This is NOT right. But it "is" a part of high performance boating. I know guys on the circuit that don't show up for a race, and when asked "Hey, what happened to you?" They tell you that during a practice run a couple of days prior, they blew something in the motor that couldn't be fixed right away. How frustrating that must be!
You'll be fixed in no time, I'm sure. You're a go getter when it comes to boating and you'll be holding your own very soon.
What ever happened to GEOO? Did he make a decision on what he is going to do?
Rotate the motor.
ScottP is one lucky guy to be able to lower that motor into his boat with doing that. But I just talked to him on the phone, (revised 10/11/00; obvious brain skip) and it doesn't appear as if he has a "stock" motor. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
Scott, (revise to read Nate)
Did you say you needed a pulley or a belt?
I have a pulley for a stock Merc!
(revised; I realize now you need belts, so forget whatever I said here, I have severe cold on the brain)

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-11-2000).]

Scott Pearson
10-10-2000, 05:08 PM
Gene,
You smoking that funny stuff again?
You didn't talk with me on the phone. Who are you thinking about? Dreaming maybe?

(NJ)Scott

Emmo
10-10-2000, 09:31 PM
Maybe used a short block http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

GeneD
10-11-2000, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately, not smoking a damn thing!
Got you confused with Nate.
Why? No clue. Just out of MY mind with the motor installation on 007.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GEOO
10-11-2000, 07:45 AM
Gene, Engine is out of boat, needs to be taken down and then it goes to the machinist to see what needs to be done. Hopefully just a rebore?
How's you engine? When is the test run? You should fly, keep me posted. GEOO

GeneD
10-11-2000, 09:03 AM
Well, perhaps you missed my other post somewhere else on the site.
I've got a battery problem and perhaps a starter problem.
I'll start with the new battery and go from there. I DO NOT want to pull that starter again. I did just that yesterday, before I noticed the 10.5 volts coming from the battery.
In addition, I found the rear bearing in my starter...GONE!
Put on a different cap and it worked okay with the lousy battery.
But wouldn't start the motor.
If it isn't one thing, it's another.
Soon GEOO, soon...
On another note, my drive went on like butter. This is the first time ever that it has gone on without breaking out the wooden mallet (2x4), or drop kicking the thing on the gimble.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-11-2000).]

Forrest
10-11-2000, 09:27 AM
Hay GeneD, that's the way they suppose to go on - easy!

------------------
Forrest

GeneD
10-11-2000, 10:09 AM
Well no kidding big fella, this is why I made mention of it.
It did go on smooth at one point in it's life. But that was long ago.
Guess I did a good job on alignment huh?
Really, it went on so smooth, I thought something might be wrong!
Bad thing though, I noticed some fluid coming out from the yoke area. I may have overfilled it last time I changed out the fluid. I am such a nut about changing out that fluid that I am almost out of the 5 gallon container that the Lake X guys gave me. I think I have one more gear oil change before it goes dry.
I'm heading out right now to get a battery and on to the shop for more torture!
Watch for my post this evening.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

RickR
10-11-2000, 07:51 PM
Gene
Sit down before they tell you the price for Merc Hi-Perf lube.
I buy the 2.5 gallon jug.
Glad to hear you're almost on the water again.
Motor looks great!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GeneD
10-11-2000, 08:41 PM
Timeline:
11:35 AM, bought new battery. Drove to shop, installed battery.
12:05 PM, hit remote starter switch. Almost fell off boat, started right up!
12:30 PM, tuned carburater and timed engine (8 BDC).
12:35 PM, shut off engine, runs too good, got scared.
12:35:30 PM, re-started engine. Started right up. Revved motor a bit, re-start a few times.
12:36:45, shut motor off. Turned water off. Closed up shop.
12:36:00, drove to Circle K and bought 12 pack Bud Light.
12:45 PM - 8:00 PM, drank beer and talked "shoot" to fellow shop guys. Intermitently started motor for kicks.
8:30 PM, came home to prepare for race in NC.
8:45 PM, discovered jackass has siphoned money out of my VISA acct to pay for XXX sites.
8:49, Freaking out...
9:27 PM, Crying the blues on Donzi.net.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GeneD
10-11-2000, 08:59 PM
Guys,
I am a bit pissed that this is happening to me.
Through no fault of my own, I have been ripped off. I want all of you to beware.
There is a tremendous amount of fraudulent transactions going on over the internet.
I am a victim.
My bank is no help. They say I have to request refunds myself.
This is a travesty.
I'm totally screwed now. I can't move out of the county without my money, as little as it is. And most of you know how important it is to me to be at this race.
I'm going tomorrow to my bank and raise some hell. I might make the newspapers.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

RickR
10-11-2000, 09:47 PM
GeneD
In Sept they got my Master Card $497.99 with a PayPal account. Luckily I don't have to pay for the fradulant charge.

How come you didn't take your 12 pack offshore? Bud tastes better out there.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 10-11-2000).]

Owen
10-12-2000, 08:28 AM
Gene, sorry to hear about the card stuff, I'd be very cautious and see if they are going for an identity too. My girl friend used her card to buy some teas on the internet once. For the next three months I got junk mail from 12 different scam companies on how I can make millions taking credit card numbers over the internet. So the question begs, how did they intercept the transaction. They even knew which company the card was with. The "secure credit card transaction on the net" line is a lie.

Back to Donzi stuff, If I recall right, you had to repolarize a delco-remey two wire altentator. I got same in the Jr and its not puttin out any juice. What to do?

GeneD
10-12-2000, 10:20 AM
Owen,
I waited outside the gym for a half an hour and you didn't show up. Someone said your mother was calling you! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif
The alternator.
Yeah, that could be why my battery crapped out. Forrest and I were discussing the merits of changing over a DelcoRemy one wire alternator to a marine unit. It involved adding the anti-spark screens and a two wire plug adapter. When he said that I need to "polarize" the wires or the regulator or whatever, it freaked me out.
I ended up going to the local alternator joint and having him replace the voltage regulator in my old Motorola (might be Mondo, can't remember) unit. I think the bill was $60.
So in the end, I don't know squat about polarizing an alternator!
Anything electrical freaks me out. And I'm doing a lot of that lately.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Gearhead99
10-12-2000, 09:09 PM
Gene,

Don't polorize an Alternator. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER or you'll be buying another. You will short out the diodes. They are polarity [spelling] sensive.

I'll call you Friday.

Dave

Forrest
10-13-2000, 08:36 AM
When converting a Delco alternator to a "one-wire" alternator, the replacement one-wire voltage-regulator needs to be initially "energized" not "polarized" before use. No big deal, put the alternator together, get it hooked up and spinning and touch +12v to one of the two terminal tabs (I forget which one) on the regulator that are accessable through the rear of the alternator's housing.

If I recall correctly, you need to polarize old DC generators prior to use.

------------------
Forrest

boldts
10-13-2000, 05:36 PM
GeneD,
I was very disturbed to read about your CC problem. Who ever did that should be hung by their balls or breasts, what ever the case may be. I love racing of any kind and to not be able to enjoy a race because someone stole your money really S**KS. I have not done any boat racing, a little drag (cars) in my younger days and got a ride on a Offshore B class boat once for taking the owners wife on my Donzi for race pictures as I was working as a patrol boat on the course. What a wonderful memory. I'd like to be able to run Offshore in a factory class someday. At least thats my current biggest dream. Go out and sit in your Donzi for awhile, it helps me when I'm feeling low.

GeneD
10-15-2000, 09:42 AM
Yeah, well I'm pretty disturbed about it too.
Thing is too, I should have been checking the acct. The damn thing was frozen by my own doing, and I still have problems. I had cancelled my CC two weeks ago. I still got money ripped off.
Blows.
As far as the racing thing goes. I have a sponsorship waiting on me. This was my big chance.
Now I have to wait for the Florida races. I wanted to see my sponsor in his home town, show some respect, ect.
I'll tell you all what. You are my buddies, and I have no problem saying this.
I love Offshore Powerboat racing. I want so bad to be a part of it. When I go to the races, I am a part of it, I make sure I am. In whatever capacity I can manage. I know most of the guys, and they accept me and seem to enjoy my company. But...
When I see them on TV blowing around at un-Donly speeds, I get really scared. I am very close to seeing this "dream" become a reality, and damn it, I just don't want to become a statistic in powerboat racing fatalities. The reality of this scenerio is there, and it gets me a bit uptight.
Hopefully, this fear will keep me alive.
I'll be on top of the world real soon, I just hate looking for a job. One will come my way soon, of that...I am sure.
When it does, I'll be at all the races again. Either in 007, or the new 007 Racing Team bad boy racing hull, regardless of manufacturer.
Hang in there, I am.
BTW, interesting breakdown on the new 007 motor. Read new post.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Emmo
10-18-2000, 09:20 AM
Boldts-
Which was the wonderful memory, the owner's wife or the ride in the racing boat? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>