PDA

View Full Version : V-drive prop specs.

Rob Harman
10-09-2000, 02:26 AM
Please post your v-drive prop specs and performance.

I'm looking at a 22 with a V-drive, new 360ci, running a 13 x 10. The prop looks to small and on sea trials today it ran 40mph at 4600rpm???????????

Thoughts?

GeneD
10-09-2000, 09:47 AM
On first glance, it appears as if this boat is underpowered.
The RPM's are almost right, but without HP from a BB, you can't turn a big enough prop.
And without that, you're not going to get any speed.
The speed you are reporting sounds pitiful.
What kind of 22? What year?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Rob Harman
10-09-2000, 11:52 AM
I can't identify the boat and neither can the present owner. The previous owner bought it as a hull and deck and put a 318 in it. The present prop is from that set up and so is the two barrell intake and carb?????????? I guess he was looking for economy.

I measured it in a straight line at 20'9". The cockpit is set way back and it has a little more shear to the bow than a Donzi. Also it has a cuddy.

If with a four barrell, cam change, and a new prop I could get over 50 I would buy it. If not than I'm not interested. He's asking $4500 CDN with the trailer so I can afford to spend some on it.

What do you think?

GeneD
10-09-2000, 12:01 PM
A Donzi or no?
Shear? What do you mean?
Got any pics to send me?
A 318 is a good motor, but you mentioned 360. There is no way a stock 318 is going to make 360 HP with a 2 bbl. Even if it had a 4 bbl. I have twin 318's in my 30' Trojan and they are rated at 220 HP ea. Carter 4 bbl's. with direct drive Velvet trannys. I turn 12 x 14's I think. I guess I should check before I say anything more.
If indeed the boat you have/looking at, is a Donzi, sounds like a Hornet to me. But a cuddy? I'm really confused now.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Rob Harman
10-09-2000, 12:27 PM
Sorry for the confusion.

As it now sits the boat has a 360ci motor with 3 hours on it.

The prop is from the original motor which was a 318ci two barrell carb.

When the 360ci was put in he re-used the two barrell intake and carb from the 318ci.

Shear: The deck is flatter towards the bow rather than curving down. Imagine an east coast rowing dory with a really high bow. The higher the bow the more shear.

I don't have any pics yet, but if I buy it I'll post some.

olredalert
10-09-2000, 11:08 PM
Gene D seemsto be confused for good reason.Please let us know why you feel this boat is even a Donzi.Looking at your posts you havent actually used the word Donzi.The only reason I ask is that nowhere in my memory can I remember a Donzi of any length that has a bow that points up.Maybe I have misunderstood your description.Decals are cheap.Keep looking for that number,as its really important.Although less versed in perf.than gene seems to be,I would venture to say that for starters you are badly under-carburated and probobly under-powered even if you did replace that two barrel.........just.......ol red!