PDA

View Full Version : Owens rare banana boat

olredalert
10-07-2000, 12:43 PM
Just a message from a new member.Owen,the banana boat is a piece of history,but Im happy to be able to tell you and the other board members that it is not the only one.There is a second one here in MI.I did mention it the other day on an old post,but thought you may not have seen it.Two summers ago I answered a local add for a 27ft. Donzi.The owner claimed it to be an old race boat.I went to see it shortly after and took my copy of "King of Thunderboat Row" along.The boat I saw that day was posotivly a 27 banana boat.While the hull and deck both looked basicly intact and in reasonably good condition,the boat needed a massive amount of work.I regret now passing on it,but at the time the price seemed out of whack.I dont know if I could find my way back or not as the location was really out in the boonies,but if you or any other true Donzi fanatics are interested I could make a stab at going back.Of course,it may be gone,hopefully to a good home.Owen,what value do you put on your boat or on the boat just described?There was a big block of unknown dimensions in her and a really old old outdrive,neither of which were probobly in her to begin with.Thanks.......just ol red!

Owen
10-09-2000, 10:42 PM
Olredalert,

Please, if you have the time, relocate the banana boat in MI. My brother and I have both been looking for one of these to restore for decades. If you are inclined, I will pay for any photos/mailing and other relavant information - within reason. My e-mail is dreamdog7007@altavista.com.

Owen

olredalert
10-09-2000, 11:32 PM
Owen.........Just spotted your post.Sorry!Am headed off to new york tomorrow for about a week,but will try to find some time upon my return to do some sluething!!!!!As far as costs go,we will figure that out when and if it becomes necessary.The more I think about that missed opportunity the more Id like to see someone do something with it.Ive got my hands full with my newly unearthed El Pescador!!!!!!!!!!...........just ol red!

olredalert
10-09-2000, 11:44 PM
Owen, Would still like to know what value you put on the other banana boat.If you feel you need to E-MAIL me at redalert@massnet1.net........just.....ol red!

olredalert
10-17-2000, 04:27 PM
Owen..........Got back from NY Sun. and started digging thru old pics.Quickly found pics of banana boat.Unfortunatly I dont know how to use my scanner.Already left my e-mail add.E-mail me and we can set up some sort of phone call.Pics I have actually look better than I remember,but we all know that pictures lie!!!After phone call will be happy to send copies out to you.Hope to see some message from you soon.As far as getting up there to try to find it again,I can only promise to get to it as soon as possible!...........just.......ol red

olredalert
10-18-2000, 07:14 PM
Owen.........It was a nice day today and I managed to talk my lovely boss into going on a side trip to look for the Donzi in question.The bad news is that the banana couldnt be found.The good news is that while my wife was looking at the pics she noticed a date on them.I found the add for the boat in the local boat trader and now I can narrow down when the add ran and possibly get the issues from that period.This will teach me to keep info that I know darn well will be useful someday!!!!!!!!!!!Hope to hear back from you soon...........just........ol red!

Owen
10-21-2000, 10:50 PM
Olredalert,
I've been pondering your question about what a Banana Boat - In the Condition of Satan's Chariot - would be worth. The only real way to do that would be to ask Chariot's owner. In 1980 the hull went for 10k. but needed everything. The boats are historic but every owner that raced these things didn't like the way they handled. So that eliminates alot of potential buyers. The other four boats were pure race boats with tiny cockpits and no amenities. In alot of ways the boats just don't fit in to regular restoration economics. I would start at a 14,000 dollar base and work up depending on what else comes with the boat and in what condition. So I'm pretty close to what the seller was asking from the start. I probably would have bought the one you saw if I'd have known about it.

olredalert
10-24-2000, 09:37 AM
Owen......I was missing in action this past weekend in Indy watching some old friends racing thier nostalgia nascar cars.I guess the turnout was small(9 cars in thier class)but still pretty exciting stuff.They are spending waaaay too much money but the fun apparently is worth the cost!Thanks for getting back to me with your assesment.I had already guessed that the boat would garner limited interest.Dons sons book made it pretty clear that they were a handful.Anyway, before I left for indy I went to our local tag agency to see if I could track back the boats reg.nos. that were in one of the pics I want to get to you,and they gave me a form to fill out and send in to the state of mich.I have yet to do that,but hope to get around to it today.The trail is getting a little cold but Im not done yet..........just.....ol red!

olredalert
10-29-2000, 06:52 PM
Owen........Hope you see this post.Tomorrow morning Im going to get blown up copies of the two pics I have of the b-boat.I only have option of sending snail-mail so if you would like to see these please get ahold of me one way or another.Ph.no.is 810-326-0490 and e-mail is redalert@massnet1.net .Sent paperwork in to the state.Now we wait to see if they can give me any info thats useful!!!!!!!!!..........just....ol red!

olredalert
11-03-2000, 01:11 PM
Owen,........Just got paperwork back from state of MI.We have had a stroke of luck for a change,and I now have the owners name of record in 1999 as well as his PH.#.I just left a message on his answering machine,so well see what happens.No newer owner has registered the boat,so theres a good chance that this fella still owns the boat at this time.Also,did you get the pics yet?Hope so!...........just.........ol red!