PDA

View Full Version : Engine hatch - round latches

Jamesbon
10-06-2000, 01:51 PM
Anyone know where I can get a pair of the round, chromed hatch cover hold down latches which were cast with the Donzi logo in them? Both of mine were accidentally and prematurely barried at sea.

(is "barried" spelled right? - looks funny to me)

BERTRAM BOY
10-06-2000, 02:18 PM
Burried

PaulO
10-06-2000, 02:27 PM
buried

Forrest
10-06-2000, 02:37 PM
Nate, you want what? And two of 'em at that? Goood luck.

Bury stuff like in you back yard where you can dig it up later, not in Gulf!

Your only hope is that Scott Pearson can help. You know, he's the guy the makes all of those neat Donzi reproduction castings.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 10-06-2000).]

Jamesbon
10-06-2000, 03:09 PM
Thanks Fellas. If I don't have any luck, I'll sadly fill the homes where the chrome latches once lived in my hatch lid. Maybe I'll try Donzi and see if I could retro fit the newer latches. (if they still use them....)

Scott Pearson,
Do you have anything like that?

MarkG
10-06-2000, 05:33 PM
Nate
You mite try to use some auto hood pins until you could get orig. replacements. I noticed that some of the offshore racer parts houses are selling stainless hatch pin kits.

Scott Pearson
10-06-2000, 05:34 PM
Forrest,
Thanks for the plug. James...If I cold get one thats in good shape I could make one out of stainless or Alum. I'm not really sure what they look like. What year are they? Adding the DONZI logo is no problem.

The whole thing about making them is if you only need two of them...I guess there is a right and left. It could be somemore money then if I had 20 of them run off.

Guys is this something that some of you would use/buy? If so...Anything can be made.

Let me know.

Thanks (NJ) Scott

BERTRAM BOY
10-06-2000, 08:07 PM
DAMN!!!

GeneD
10-07-2000, 07:38 AM
Not buried...LOST!
The round latches witht the Donzi emblem can be bought from the factory.
When I was going through the engine hatch latch problem, I contacted them. The thing has a bunch of parts, but if you only need the knob, it will be only around $100 ea. (I think)
Scot,
I wonder if I would be interested in a pair. I'm not sure. You know these older Donzis http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gif require a bit of thought to make them just right. I'm considering it though, work out the details.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Rob
10-07-2000, 09:48 AM
The round latches that Jamesbon is referring to were used on 1970 or 71 and later 16's and 18's (help me out hear if I have the year wrong Forrest). The earlier 16's and 18's used a hinged latch, actually two of them, one on each corner of the engine hatch. After reading Jamesbon's post, it sounds like the GT21's may have used two of the newer style latches, one on each corner.

The round latches are chrome over brass or bronze castings. The letters "DONZI", not a logo is cast into the top piece of the latch mechanism.

It seems like these would be a popular item to reproduce. There have to be a lot of folks in Jamesbon's position.