PDA

View Full Version : OK I'm hooked

Pat
10-06-2000, 12:31 PM
I can't stand it anymore. Reading these boards for a couple of weeks and remembering those Donzi's running around on Lake Minnetonka when I was a kid is more than I can take. I've decided to take the plunge and find me a boat.
I've decided I need (want, gotta have) a 22'Classic. Looking at 80's and early 90's boats I've noticed quite a few motor/outdrive combinations. Are there any that one should stay away from? TRS, OMC King Cobra? Does anyone have a consolidated list of what power packages were offered during the 80's/early 90's.
I've figured out a 502 Mag MPI/Bravo combination would be nice, but is way out of my price range. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pat (CA)

[This message has been edited by Pat (edited 10-06-2000).]

GeneD
10-06-2000, 01:01 PM
Big block with a Bravo.
You can't go wrong.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
10-06-2000, 02:25 PM
Just get a Classic Donzi . . . any Classic Donzi that runs . . . or that you can get running . . . you can't go wrong!

------------------
Forrest

roadtrip
10-06-2000, 11:09 PM
Hooked,
I just got the boat that you are talking about. 502 with Bravo. Great acceleration, handling, and top end. Buy as much as you can afford, because ultimately trading in and out of boats ends up being more expensive in the long run. Good time of the year to search. Buy mercury for parts, service, and re-sale. I agree with the previous post, buy a Classic, any Classic! Anything else is just a Hyundai on water. Good luck. Todd Somerville

Tom on Lanier
10-07-2000, 07:59 AM
Welcome Brother! I concur with GeneD, Forrest and Roadtrip - any Classic would be good. On the other hand, you might find a good deal on one of the other models of older Donzis that are also way cool and make an individual statement like X-18, Minx, Corsican or Criterian, if you can find one.
Happy hunting and let us know where you end up!

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Owen
10-07-2000, 08:30 AM
You're in the wrong place for looking for Donzis. There just are not alot of them on the west coast. I will differ with going Merc. Merc sucks. They WERE the best. Now its a mexico manufacturing, bean counter corp that makes second rate crap. As far as looking for a boat, find a freshwater one. Salt eats up everything.

Tom on Lanier
10-07-2000, 09:42 AM
Geez Owen! That's a harsh, broadbrush generalization about Mercruiser. Sounds like you may have had a problem - which is regretable. I have owned three Mercruisers and have yet to have a problem with any of them. Surely there are occasional failures but, I don't, personally, know of anyone who has ever had a problem with a Mercuiser. I know that just because they have 90% of the I/O market, doesn't necessarily mean they are the best. Maybe you could help Pat by making a positive recommendation for a better alternative and explaining why. I would be interested myself.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

BigGrizzly
10-07-2000, 10:32 AM
I have had and do have a Merc and a Volvo, I pump and will pump alot of horsepower through both of them. I have had no real problem with any of them. Like they say old Volvos are slow and hydrodynamicly undesirable, well folks get out your rulers and start measuring. You will find this is not totally true. Alpha is not as strong as Volvo but Bravo is. A 22 with a big block is what I recomend. My Criterion gets about the same fuel economy that my Corsican does. Get what you want, a couple of extra $$$ now is cheeper in the long run. Example: 22 clasic with a small block now then add a big block and Brovo (Alpha won't make it) later will cost min $10,000 later. That is if you do it all yourself with used stuff. Was there once. I have the ability and the equipment to do it, not again!
Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 10-07-2000).]

Pat
10-10-2000, 09:11 AM
Appreciate the feedback. I've realized there aren't a lot of Donzi's out here on the west coast. I've found a couple at sitting at dealerships. Talked to the manager, they've been slow sellers out here. Too many cheaper alternatives. Depending on how nice the bank is, maybe I can strike up a deal on a new one. If not, me and the urban assult vehicle (F-350 crew cab) will traverse the country in search of a good used boat.

Pat (CA)

GeneD
10-10-2000, 10:04 AM
Owen, I call you out!
Meet me behind the gym after class...

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

superhatz
10-10-2000, 10:39 PM
Hey Pat, I grew up on Lake Minnetonka too. I lived on Gray's Bay and had a '67 16 ski sporter...inca gold and white. My dad sold it when I joined the Coast Guard in '89.

Superhatz