PDA

View Full Version : What throttle controls to run?????

Scott Pearson
10-05-2000, 01:06 PM
Need some info. I am getting ready to re-cut the hole for my controls and I'm not sure what set-up to run. I like the way the Quick Silver 3000 works but not the way it looks. Does Morse make a good looking control that has a trim button? Chrome?

Help me out guys...

(NJ) Scott

Jamesbon
10-05-2000, 01:25 PM
Personally, I like the Kiekeafer control which has one lever for your transmission, and a second for the throttle. It's not a factory Donzi option though....but it sure does look good.

Scott Pearson
10-05-2000, 02:09 PM
I'm not looking to go all orig. Just something thats nice. What does the Kiekeafer control look like? Do you have a picture?

Thanks Scott

Forrest
10-05-2000, 02:45 PM
The Kiekhaefer or Zero Effort Controls by Mercury Marine (http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury2000/products_services/category.cfm?node=59,49,0) are great but they won't work on an 18 Donzi or any other boat where you need to side mount the the control the control lever. Zero Effort Controls are designed to be top mounted as opposed to side mounted. Nate, you may be able to use Zero Effort Controls on your GT since it has that arm-rest sort of thing on the drivers side.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 10-05-2000).]

Looped
10-05-2000, 03:20 PM
Gaffrig-Throttles (http://www.livorsi.com/pages/throttle1.html) are along the same idea as what Forrest posted. Again you would need to make a f-glass mold on the side of the boat in order for the throttle to sit on and cabling to be run.
(not very original, but different)

Craig

[This message has been edited by Looped (edited 10-05-2000).]

Jamesbon
10-05-2000, 03:24 PM
They look similar to these Gaffrigs, however the Gaffrigs are for a twin engine set-up. Picture two levers instead of four.

http://www.dolleroffshore.com/graphics/gaffrig_gauges.jpg

Jamesbon
10-05-2000, 03:25 PM
You're absolutely right Forrest. Good Call.

Nate

GeneD
10-05-2000, 04:11 PM
You don't like the 3000?
I love it!
Thing is, yeah it's a little new looking and if your trying for that nostalgic look, forget it.
I do believe that Morse does make a unit with the trim in it, but I don't have a catalog to consult.
Are you a lefty or righty? Aren't you converting to RH steering?
I tried my best to use all the current technology with my boat. Seeing how I didn't have anything old to even restore.
I don't know how much that unit even cost me, it came out the back door - I think...
Anyway, good luck on your choice.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Scott Pearson
10-05-2000, 05:00 PM
Guy's,
Thanks for the info. I want to keep it mounted to the side so I guess I'm limited to what I can do.

Gene,
I'm keeping the boat Lefty. I know..I know... everyone changes them over to right hand steering but I guess I just wanted to be different. You know the whole Mercury set-up and all. I thought it would be cool. Updating the boat with new stuff is what I'm after but just wanted a little different look then the 3000. Maybe I make something out of Billet. The 3000 is just under $300.00. Not bad I thought.

(NJ)Scott

CDMA
10-05-2000, 05:10 PM
I kept my boat lefty and really am happy I did. With the proper steering the Volvo drive is great. You can really live with out the power trim. When you don't have it your realize that even if it would be nice you don't NEED it.

Chris

GeneD
10-05-2000, 10:30 PM
ScotP,
Go get some tabs, you'll need 'em.
You got a Merc don't you?
RH rotation, makes the boat lean to the left.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Frank Civitano
10-06-2000, 05:38 AM
Get the Gaffrig catalog they make a single lever control that takes the place of the 3000 That is absolutely beutiful! Its Stainless steel with the same T-Type handle. Not black like the 3000.

------------------
Frank Civitano

Scott Pearson
10-06-2000, 07:06 AM
I have installed tabs. There the Bennett Sport Tabs with the dual actuators. 12x12.

Frank,
Does the set-up have a trim switch?

(NJ)Scott

GeneD
10-06-2000, 07:28 AM
Hey, now that's something I wouldn't mind using. Who has a picture?
The Gaffrig unit I mean.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-07-2000).]