PDA

View Full Version : Deck work moving along.

Scott Pearson
10-04-2000, 12:24 PM
Have been working every damn day on this deck and its getting there. Had to drill out all the factory rivits that held the snaps in place...What a job. For those of you who have screws and your going to restore your Donzi be glad you do. The rivits took alot of time to drill out and some of them had to be punched through. Im going to use the same holes and I will be using rivits once again. I have to tell you that once the snaps are rivited in, they go NOWHERE!

The dash is all filled and smoothed out. I still don't know what I'm going to do yet as far as a guage set-up goes. Still kicking around alot of ideas.

The worse part of the whole deck is the gel-coat cracks in the floor. Not that I should care because they will get covered by a carpet...but being the NUT that I am the floor has to be perfect. Thats going to take some time.

The rest of the deck is in great shape. Just have to long board the top surface alot to get the factory waves out. Did I mention that I'm a NUT or just maybe NUTZ.

Ohhh well....Onwards!

(NJ) Scott

CDMA
10-04-2000, 12:59 PM
Been there done that.

Want to do it again

Didn't realize how much fun it was till I was done.

Chris

GeneD
10-04-2000, 07:34 PM
Sooo,
The "newer" Donzis have rivets in their tonneau cover snaps?
Interesting!
Mine has screws.
Probably better off using rivets. The damn things won't come loose, that's for sure.
Though I've only had a problem on the carpet snaps.
ScotP,
Forget the cracks in the floor. You're just going to give yourself a neurosis. I did the best I could with them, and they returned anyway. More than likely that has something to do with the moisture build up in the floor/carpet. Some cracks, you just can't get rid of. Especically in the older boats. The gelcoat is so thick, it might as well be structural.
But I understand your obsession all too well, believe me!
Go baby go!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-04-2000).]

Scott Pearson
10-05-2000, 08:41 AM
Gene,
"Newer" Ohhh so thats how it is. Thats weird, Gene you have a 1967 right? I guess Donzi tried rivits for a year or two. I say a 1970 last month that had screws. Maybe they only tried them in 1968. Hummm. We'll have to look into this one.

Yea I know these cracks are most likely not worth the effort. But hay...what else would I do with my spare time? And the carpet thing makes sence. I'm sure it holds water for a long time causing this to happen.

(NJ) Scott

GeneD
10-05-2000, 09:52 AM
ScotP,
I've got you man!
Only funnin'ya.
Hey, more than likely someone converted?
Don't matter, you're putting some qualilty hardware on there and really, that is what counts.
SST right? Can't go wrong.
Cracks, ugh! My nemesis. Damn cracks, from the floor to the front deck, damn near killed me.
Good luck, you'll get it straightened out.
Oh, and it's a 1966.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida