PDA

View Full Version : New Stern Drive for Ford 351 - Volvo vs ?- Help

AGUESS
10-03-2000, 08:17 PM
I got a new Ford 351 for my 18 restoration. Old eng was a 302 with OMC electric shift stern drive.

I now need to think about a new stern drive, because the parts & labor on this old electric shift are a lot, and I don't know if it is worth putting more money in an old drive. Original OMC guy said it was, but I question his logic.

Question. It looks like my options for stern drives are Volvo Cobra SX or OMC Cobra.

Any thoughts on these drives?

Any other ideas for drives that will go with the new ford 351? It appears that almost everything is now using GM/Merc.

Also, I am told that I will need a: intermediate housing, gimbel, transom mount and bell housing to finish the setup, along with new exhaust manifolds, etc.

This is really going to blow the budget.

Anyone know of a good used drive company, etc. I have not been able to find a donor boat.

I have found a new Volvo Cobra SX for $2K, but would still need everything else, and am told the transom mount is 1.5K alone.

Thanks for the feedback.

Down but not out.

Alex.

RickR
10-04-2000, 02:57 AM
Aguess
You will need a Power steering pump and actuator also.

Do not use a OMC Cobra, but a OMC 90 and up King Cobra is a very good drive.

A Alpha or Bravo would be alot easier to find.

Try Doug Russel (508-791-4917) for new and rebuilt drives and parts, you can find their advertising in many boating magazines. New Alpha $2895.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Forrest
10-04-2000, 03:39 PM
An old OMC drive! You mean electric shift and a big rubber outdrive boot? Man, I didn't know that Donzi used those. If that the case, you will also need to 'glass up the the big 'ol hole where that drive went through. and also check how the engine mounts. Those old OMC didn't push the boat from the transom, but rather through the motor mounts. For this reason, the motor mounts for the old OMC required a large flat mounting pad, which may not be in the right place for standard type mounts. Nothing that more 'glass work won't cover.

------------------
Forrest

BERTRAM BOY
10-04-2000, 03:57 PM
Forrest,
My '66 2+3 came withan OMC drive and a 340 Buick engine. Yes I said Buick!!!!
AGUESS, what year is your boat?

AGUESS
10-04-2000, 08:59 PM
My boat is a 1966.

I am restoring the entire boat, which includes the transom and stringers.

I am going to fill the entire transom, and then when I find the right type of drive, thinking I won't go back with the OMC Electric Shift Stringer, I will cut again.

What is this about the stringer/ engine mount issue? Do any of you have the dimensions of your stringers? I would like to compare.

Thanks,

Alex.

Blewbyu
10-08-2000, 08:26 PM
Alex-I think you are headed the right way.The old electric shift OMC was fairly tough-but weak point was the seals.Once water got in and stayed for the winter-spring was a disappointment.They handled the 302 very well-but your 351,if it's a Windsor,has quite a bit more torque and you would be wise to look at the heftier drives.Look in the boattraderonline.com in both the engine and accessories classifieds.You will find complete engine and drive setups,complete drives,rebuilt units,used stuff,etc. Rick R's advice good-but you should also consider older used Volvo 270/275/280/290 drives.They are tough and dependable-but fairly expensive to fix.They can be had from $400.00 to several thousand.I just bought a spare 290 COMPLETE drive for $450.00-and an outdrive shop inspected it and pronounced it PERFECT!Problem is-I can't seem to bust the one I have!FYI- the pre 90 Cobras were tough,but had real chronic shifting problems that were time(read *money*)consuming to fix.Your 351 may be a little torquey(sic) for an Alpha-better to go for Bravo if you buy Merc.Spend it now and enjoy the dependability of a drive that will handle the "grunt" of the 351 Windsor(which usually has recommended redline around 42-4400).Good motor!Last forever!
Regards-Jeff

AGUESS
10-09-2000, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't want to sound stupid here, but I know nothing about the types of drives outside of OMC, so this is a new education. I also thought that I could not use Merc because I had a ford engine.

Glad to know I was wrong. I have looked into volvo, but not many people work on them in my area, most do Merc.

Can anyone give me a complete list of what I need to make my new 351 ford, Merc compatable? I need to go from the engine to the water ( ie: Intermediate housing, etc.) I think I will need a raw water pump, exhaust manifolds, etc.

Thanks again.

Alex

GeneD
10-09-2000, 10:36 AM
Alex,
If I make it to Washington, NC this upcoming weekend. I want you to make the trip and check out the installation I did with the Merc and Alpha combo. You can climb around in my bilge and check out the stringers and the whole thing.
If you go with the Alpha One, you will not need a raw water pump. The pump is in the drive. A Bravo requires the use of a RW pump mounted to your engine.
If you previously had a Volvo on your boat, you will need to fill in that hole and re-cut for the Merc transom plate and gimble.
For the conversion, you will need a Merc type bellhousing, and coupler. More than likely your present flywheel will work.
I would think that Forrest would be the person to confirm that.
Of course, you will nedd the transom plate, the gimble housing, a drive, and some misc. other parts and tools.
If need be, I'll bring you the MM jig and the transom template, and you could mail them back to me at a later date.
This service is available to any Donzi Registry member by the way.
I want to suggest that you sell your Ford and get a complete (used) late model Merc 350 package. These are available down here for a relatively inexpensive price.
Use what you have to finance the new power set-up.
I know you have a new engine, but I wonder how much you will spend on the conversion.
It may be that another route would be cheaper...but.
You will definitely be pleased with power steering and trim and tilt. Makes these boats "wake up" performance wise.
You're making the right move, no doubt. But to really realize the potential of a new drive, and let's not forget the parts and service issue, you've got to take the plunge and go Merc all the way.
And though Merc made many Ford set-ups, I have no experience with them to make any kind of meaningful recomendations on the conversion.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 10-09-2000).]

AGUESS
10-09-2000, 12:02 PM
GeneD,

As much as I would like to, I can not make it to Washington this weekend.

Thanks for your help. I believe that I am going to go Merc and will think about selling the new ford 351 to buy a complete package. First, I need to price this out both ways. I wish I had thought about this before I bought the new engine, but the OMC guy took me down a wrong path.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you a favor. Can you tell me the width of your stringers where the engine mounts?

My old OMC Engine sat on top of the stringers, so I have a very wide engine base. I talked to Donzi and they told me I don't need one this wide, and only need to make the stringers about a 2x4 width, for the engine to mount.

What do you think?

Deck restoration almost done. Had to replace all the balsa wood from the front of the cockpit back, the entire floor, reglass the dash, rebuild the left rear corner ( damaged by prior owner and filled with bondo) and fix the entire deck due to cracks & chips. As you know, lots of work. Deck should be done this week, then on to the stringers and the transom. I am rebuilding both and will fill the transom so I can set up for a Merc.

Thank you for finding me guages like yours. However, when they sent them, I do not think they looked like the ones in your picture and speedo only went to 60, so I sent them back and am going with gaffrig.

Your help along with everyone elses from the donzi net has been great. I might ask you to mail me the Merc jig later ( at my cost). Thanks for the offer.

Alex.

CDMA
10-09-2000, 12:05 PM
Alex,

Memorize Gene's full restoration article in the techincal section.

Chris

I think the stringer width is 22.5 inches. It should be in the article.

GeneD
10-09-2000, 12:26 PM
Chris is right, 22.5" centers.
And you need a pad for the mm's. 2 x 4 sounds about right.
I gotta run right now, but if you have any additional questions, don't hesitate.
Sorry about the gauges, I think they are very cool, and especially at night. 60 MPH is okay, looks very impressive when it gets pegged. People freak out!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida