PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank

CDMA
10-01-2000, 08:26 PM
Ok well Patience is ready for her new tank. I plan on just replacing the existing tank with a new one of the same size and shape. I would like more capacity but just too much work and effort for a questionable gain. Now I have no shop to lift the deck but I do have acess to one with two perfectly spaced come alongs. So I can use the shop but it makes my life easier if I can be in and out in one day. Is there any way someone who has done this either knows the dimensions or knows what manufacturer has a pattern. Someone said that they used Florida Marine tanks and was very pleased. Would they be able to create the same tank again without having my tank. Also are these tanks v shaped on the bottom or flat? Also is the deck strong enough to be lifted at the ends without buckeling? I thought if I removed the fuel fill and put a 4x4 across the engine opening would supply a good enough lift point. Any thoughts. Really want to get this done.

Thanks guys

Chris

BERTRAM BOY
10-01-2000, 08:44 PM
Chris,
My tank is V- bottomed. I would think using wood planks front and rear would give enough support. Gene D. is probably the guy with the answers to that question.
BERTRAM BOY

Hotboat
10-01-2000, 08:54 PM
You don't have to lift the deck up all the way around. Take all the screws out and then lift up the bow section. (Alligator it). Plenty of room to remove the tank. By doing it this way you do not have to unhook all the wiring and steering. I did my 18 this way, and removed a 41 gal tank and replaced it by myself with no difficulty.

------------------
Hotboat

CDMA
10-02-2000, 07:06 AM
Hotboat,

Good idea but I have the folloing things to deal with.
First of all close to a grand in paint, primer material and associated freshly on the deck. Really want to be careful lifting it and would be afraid to scratch something doing it that way.
Next my other project for this winter is hyrdalic steering so the steering cable has to go anyway.
When I redid my wiring I was smart enought to run all the wires through a removable terminal block. 5 minutes and all the wires are off leaving the gages intact and all associated wiring together. Then each wire has a heat shrunk # on it which corresponds to a number on the block. Foolproof....I hope.....

Chris

Rob
10-02-2000, 07:34 AM
If your tank is the standard 25 gal model, I believe Fla Marine Tanks already has a template. I sent them my tank just in case, but they said all they really needed was the dimensions.

The tank is "V" shaped on the bottom. It fits between two bulkheads just forward of the seating area.

I think it would be tough to get this done in a day. You have to seperate the hulls, lift the top off (be carefull with this by the way, it's easy to break over the edges of the top. Use 2x6's to spread the load). Then you have to get the old tank out of the foam that encases it which is no easy task. Finally replace set the new tank and foam it in again.

If you are interested I can give you a lot more of the details.

CDMA
10-02-2000, 07:57 AM
Rob,

More details would be great. I would be happy to call you or you can e mail me at meander77@go.com.

Chris

Scott Pearson
10-02-2000, 08:01 AM
I have to tell you, you would be better having a bunch of friends help you with the deck liftoff. 6 adults will work fine. Its best to lift up from the hand rail. From the dash to the bow you will need someone to just take the weight off. You DO NOT want to leave this part of the boat hanging. And you DO NOT want anyone or anything to lift up from this point. Just steady that part.

As far as the fuel tank goes once again I do not recomend foam. If it gets wet it never dries and if fuel gets in the foam it stinks forever. Dont be fooled Alum. will still rot and corrode!

I made bracing that bolts through the stringers and bulk heads. I supported the tank underneath with plastic blocks and epoxyed them to the tank. This way no water or moisture will bet trapped between the blocks and corrode. Tank will always dry out this way.

(NJ) Scott

CDMA
10-03-2000, 12:54 PM
Any one have the number for Florida Marine tanks.

Thanks
Chris

Hotboat
10-03-2000, 03:53 PM
Florida Marine Tanks 305-620-9030

------------------
Hotboat