PDA

View Full Version : Tech Time!

GeneD
09-30-2000, 08:21 PM
Okay, all you gearheads.
When removing the motor stand from the engine using your motor hoist, it is vital and crital that you properly attach the lifting ring to the motor chain.
This is the result of being a dufus...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1173240&a=8637555&p=29626118

Remember, the engine hoist lifting ring should be completely around the engine chain, and the little snap should snap shut.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1173240&a=8637555&p=29626119

The resultant crushed oil pan was the worst part of it. No damage at all to the internals under the pan. Amazingly, the dent was just to one side of the oil pickup!
Luckeeee!
A little nick in the front pulley.
That was it.
Fell about 1 1/2 feet and landed on the motor stand crossmember. Crushed the front wheel of the motor stand. Some of the impact was lessened by the one bolt that was still in the motorstand bracket. Oh, and twisted the crossmember too.
Pay ATTENTION and avoid accidents!!!
Banging out that oil pan was not fun. That metal is really thick.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 09-30-2000).]

GEOO
09-30-2000, 08:42 PM
OH GENE I feel for you.
I got my head & intake back on, put a pressure test on the cooling system only to find out the port head also has a leak!!!!! Well I think this means I have a cooling problem at the rear of the block, not an assembly or gasket problem. Who knows maybe I need a stonger water pump, high pressure pump, some how I need to get more cooling to the back of the heads?? Why did both heads blow a gasket at the water cooling passage? Maybe the engine overheated at the Dyno? Poor cooling distribution while I ran the engine in the boat? The coolant leak started before I ever notice the engine running hot. GEOO

Looped
09-30-2000, 08:48 PM
GeneD,
You lucked out on that one. It's amazing what a little booze can make you forget what to check!
Been there, done that.

Craig

GeneD
10-02-2000, 08:41 AM
Looped,
Totally straight.
Didn't even have a cigarette in my mouth.
Just a bit overanxious I think. I had been at it for 8 hours straight. I had the whole motor together and was ready to call it a day. But I still needed to put the flywheel and bellhousing and coupler on to be ready to install on Sunday.
I figured, "Hey! No problem!"
I really don't know what happened, but I think the chain was twisted or something, and one of the links untwisted. There were two noises, a chink...then a bang. Then of course the motor hitting the floor!
Bummer!
I banged out that damn oil pan, put it back on, and continued on my merry way only to discover that my "New" flywheel don't fit! The freaking thing fits on over the crank and onto the alignment pin. But out of the 6 bolt holes, 4 line up perfectly, except for the two on either side of the alignment pin!
I'm just about ready to throw in the towel!
GEOO,
Hmmm...what is the story?
Maybe you're right, the thing blew on the dyno. I wouldn't be too quick to think it was something in the boat since you have never run across this problem before. I mean, your water pump was just fine on the other motor, right? What is the diff between this one and that one? Besides the obvious of more HP?
That HG looks to be in perfect condition except for the blow out. Too weird.
The re-torque spec has me really concerned, and I think there is something to this that we need to check out in detail.
The heating and cooling cycle will be something I'm going to be looking into. And by that I mean, after running a couple of days, I'm going to rip the manifolds off and re-torque this bitch. So I blow a couple of hours. I do not want to be screwing with this motor again for a long time.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

BigGrizzly
10-02-2000, 07:20 PM
GeneD sorry this happened. lucky it didn't happed as you were lowering it into 007, or on your foot. All I want to hear is 007 is well along with its family, is it done yet?
Geoo maybe there was a air pocket at first start up? I need to run mine untill the t-stat opens. The only other thing is your exchanger large enough? Right now I'm working with Sen-Dur to make one big enough for a 502 for my Criterion. None on the market is big enough for 500+hp on that size motor at 5000rpms.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 10-02-2000).]

Jamesbon
10-03-2000, 08:20 AM
Gene,
This caption below may shed some light on your flywheel situation. If nothing else, it's good stuff for us Chevy lovers to know.

Nathan

"Chevy V8: When it comes to bellhousing bolt patterns, the small & big block Chevys are the same. (This is known as the 90 degree bolt pattern). These engines use a dowel pin alignment. The stock starter bolts to the bottom of the block except on some early blocks like the 265. (Note: These early blocks, in which the starter bolts to the bellhousing, should not be used for conversions). The flywheel can either be a 153 tooth, measuring 12-3/4” in diameter, or 168 tooth, measuring 14” in diameter. The 1985 and earlier flywheels are not interchangeable with the 1986 & later flywheels, due to a change on the flywheel crank bolt pattern and balancing. If you are using a stock GM bellhousing, make sure you have proper clearance for the flywheel. For the proper starter, GM used two different bolt patterns on the bottom of the block. The straight bolt pattern is normally used with the 153T flywheel and the offset or staggered starter bolt pattern is normally used with the 168T flywheel. Many Chevy blocks today offer both starter bolt patterns on the block. Some of our conversion bellhousings require a special GM starter nose cone. If your stock starter is interfering with our bellhousing you may need to purchase one of the following starter nose cones: GM# 1968122 (153T flywheel), & GM# 1984098 (168T flywheel). The oil pans on Chevy blocks have gone through a few changes. 1985 & earlier blocks are all the same except the dipstick access is either on the driver side or passenger side. In 1986, GM changed their gasket design to a one piece rear main seal. The earlier style oil pans will not fit the newer blocks. The computer controlled blocks in the ‘90s added oil level sensors. Pans that we manufacture do not have provisions for this sensor. Caution should be used if you plan on using a newer Chevy V6 or V8. We have seen aluminum oil pans on some of the later model blocks. This can cause a problem on conversions that require oil pan modifications. Most GM blocks used a triangular motor mount bolt pattern. Advance Adapters conversion mounts all utilize this most common mounting configuration. Some late 90’s blocks have varied from this bolt pattern. Please confirm that the block your converting has this triangular mounting pattern. "

GeneD
10-03-2000, 08:43 AM
Yeah JB,
I know all this already.
I've been documenting the differences in the older vs new blocks for a couple of weeks now and I'll be getting around to posting that info after my Donzi re-power is complete.
Ha, I just found another difference, as you know, with the flywheel. Apparently, there are two different flywheel configurations.
It's true that the pre 86 motors have a different bolt pattern, but now we discover that the post 86 motors have two different flywheels, not counting automatic transmission flywheels. For our marine use, we need the automotive clutch type flywheel.
Extremely frustrating.
Big G,
Nothing new on the motor scene. I pretty much gave up after finding out the flywheel didn't fit properly.
And guys, if I haven't made this perfectly clear, and you guys that haven't taken apart a new generation motor are going to have a hard time understanding this, the flywheel I have - not the pre-86 version, but a newer 90's version, just does not line up.
Like I mentioned above, the flywheel fits on the "flange" perfectly. 4 of the 6 holes are perfect. But on either side of the alignment pin, and only the post 86 blocks have this alignment pin, the holes are mismatched. If I thought the thing would be in perfect balance afterwards, I would take it to the machine shop and have the holes slotted.
My hands are up in the air and I'm shrugging my shoulders.
As for everyone else's problems, GEOO and PaulO for starters, I think it is just too weird.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida