PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tanks - Where to get one.

AGUESS
09-27-2000, 12:23 PM
Ok, after having my gas tank for over a month, the radiator shop tells me they can't get the sludge out of it, and I need a new one.

So, Does anyone have a lead on tanks, or do I have to have one custom made?.

1966 Classic 18.

As always, thanks for your help.

Alex.

CDMA
09-27-2000, 03:05 PM
I am interested in the same question. I noticed someone said they got a new 25 gallon tank for $160. Then Geoo said his cost him over $400. So who else has done this and has any suggestions. I would like the extra capacity but it requires me to cut out a transverse stringer. What I would really like to do is be able to have whatever tank I am going to use so I can lift up the deck and take the old one out and put the new one in the same day. Is it possible to find out and get the tank before I lift the deck?

Chris

Ralph Savarese
09-27-2000, 05:06 PM
Guys been there done that! I had my tank made out of 1/8" aluminum plate I had a welder do it. The guy is great and does a superior job. A+N Reliable welding in Bayshore NY is the place. I think it was $350 he coppied my old monel tank .The steel one was replaced 1974 with the monel but the guy who made it riveted the baffels from the outside and then covered them with solder which doed not stick to monel well. The only thing i could suggest is when you get the tank done Use the cork rubber vibration pads that are adout 4"x4"x.5". silicone them to the hull and then rest the tank on it.You will need 6. Fill in around the tank with the expanding foam insulation to hold it in place. Beleve me I have had that tank in and out several times tring to fix the monel one than finally gave in to having one made.

BERTRAM BOY
09-27-2000, 05:24 PM
Ralph,
Other than the tank leking where the baffles was there any reason not to get another Monel tank? They are supposed to be very corrosion resistant.
BERTRAM BOY

GeneD
09-27-2000, 05:25 PM
Well, I'll add my two cents here.
When I did my tank, and remember, I didn't have one to even take dimensions from.
I took the hull over to my local marine surplus joint, took some measurements, and checked the tanks they had sitting out in the yard.
Turns out that they had one that fit side to side, but was too long. Bought it anyway, for I think $145.
All aluminum.
Nice tank, but...the fittings were all wrong.
Brought the thing over to my local welding shop and had them cut the thing down, move all the fittings, and it came out great.
Cost me about another $65.
This is the GeneD method. It worked. But I know that marine surplus joints are far and few between up north.
Maybe you could take a little vacation down here? Or how about this? Check the dimensions and I'll go and check out what they got for you, and I'll bring it up to Washington NC in two weeks?
Oh, by the way, my tank is not form fitting. It doesn't have a "V" in the bottom. I put a mess of styrofoam on the bottom of the hull against the tank, then poured in the foam. It came out great. Check out the photos in the Registry. I think you will agree.
Of course, you could always have one fabricated. Save you lots of hassle. Bring the boat over to the welder and say, "Build me a tank!"
Then there is nothing left to do but cut the check.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Rob
09-27-2000, 06:04 PM
Call Florida Marine Tanks. I was very pleased with the tank they made for my 16 last year. An identical replacement for my original steel model. My recollection is it cost around $150. Only down side was delivery time-at the time they were behind in orders and it took them several weeks to make it.

A direct comparison with Geo's tank is not quite fair. Although his tank cost $400 from Donzi, it is a 40 gallon model. Mine holds 25 gallons.

CDMA
09-27-2000, 06:48 PM
Still if they could make a 25 gallon tank for that much how much more could a 40 galllon one from them cost?

Chris

Scott Pearson
09-28-2000, 08:00 PM
Ok...My 2 cents. Monel will not pass Coast Guard app. Its just a better stainless and Stainless CAN NOT be used for gas. Only diesel. Alum. is the way to go. I had my tank made out of alum. and welded tabs to the sides so I can bolt the tank to the stringers. I also Glued plastic blocks to the tank to get it off the hull an inch. You DO NOT want to glue the blocks to the hull then put the tank in. You have to glue them to the tank because if you dont water will get inbetween the blocks and the alum. and corrode. I also do not like the whole foam thing. It gets wet and the tank will not breath and will corrode also if it does leak somewhere you NEVER get rid of the gas smell.

SP sheet metal did my tank and they do all Ocean, Viking, Mainship and Buddy Davis boats. This is what they recommended. And the biggest issue was NOT to use Foam.
It cost me abot $400.00

AIRGRADY
09-28-2000, 10:09 PM
I took a tour of the Donzi factory about 2 years ago and I was dumbfounded to see PLASTIC fuel tanks in all the classics. The gentelman giving the tour told me the advantages to the plastic tanks but I didn't commit his answer to memory since I was probably too busy drooling at that point. I had a great time during the tour of the factory and I highly recommend it, truly a great learning experience into how a Donzi is made.

Maybe you guys who are restoring these older beauties may want to reasearch the "plastic" fuel tanks.

My 2 cents.
Grady