PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Question

Scott Pearson
03-16-2001, 05:21 PM
Ok guys...I finely found an orange carpet, Yes orange! I need to know what you guys have for bindings. You know the edging thats on the edges. Are yours Canvas or Polyester? Canvas will be solid and soft to the touch. Polyester will be a little transparent and harder.

Ok...is it stapled and glued or sawn?

(NJScott

Eight_(8)_Ball
03-16-2001, 09:31 PM
generally if i am putting in a snap in carpet for a customer i bind the edge with acrlyic binding. the acrlyics do not trap moister and hold up better. a polly will trap moisture and the thread will rot faster than poly and the poly binding will crack after time

------------------
Mike @ Bayview Canvas (http://www.bayviewcanvas.com)

[This message has been edited by Eight_(8)_Ball (edited 03-16-2001).]

Dr. Dan
03-16-2001, 09:45 PM
Scott, now you're talking my language, I'm a manufacturer sales manager in the Carpet Industry. I assume your discussing carpet for your boat, the binding can be a variety of materials, but most often you'll find a vinyl base product used that is very similar to what your seats are covered with. If you use a cloth type binding it's likely to fade sooner and be less durable under the elements. Also keep in mind that if your carpet is not Marine Grade it is going to fade(nylon). There are a wide range of Olefin based products on the market that look great and are reasonably priced(and won't fade). I would not recommend glueing unless the floor is nasty and you don't mind major work when you go to replace it. Go to an upholstery/canvas shop,they should have snaps that can secure it inplace and make for a quick replacement or clean up when your ready. Need any more info. e.mail me at drdan@nfdc.net , good luck ..Doc Just read 8 Balls post and I agree, good point on the moisture and cracking, neat web site Mike!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Dan (edited 03-16-2001).]

RickR
03-17-2001, 07:05 AM
I just installed a indoor/outdoor short nap carpet in my 22. It did not need a binding on the edge because of the short nap.

Carpet comes in 12' lengths so buy a piece 12'x6' and you'll have enough for 2 sets.

I used snaps. If you can find an upholstery supplier you'll get a better value. Use stainless buttons (I used the heavy duty hard to unsnap type) and studs (some stainless studs use a chromed/brass screw)

A box of 100 is just a little more that 50 and leaves room for error. I used 22 on each piece and need to add 2 more. For 2 pieces of carpet 48 buttons, 24 studs.

The professional type button installer is MUCH easier to use. See if you can borrow or rent one. The "Time Saver Fastener Kits" on page 344 of 2001 Boat U/S catalogue are OK but are easy to break. Install the buttons in the EXACT same place on both sets of carpet.

I located studs by rubbing some crayon on the button then tapping it in the correct location.

When drilling for the studs (to prevent stress cracks) make SURE you make the correct size hole (slightly smaller than the screw), burnish (taper) the gelcoat (use a phillips bit) , and use a good sealant/ adhesive like 3M/5200. Also make sure you know what is behind what you're drilling ie. gas tank http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

Total cost for 2 sets <$100

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 03-17-2001).]

Scott Pearson
03-17-2001, 07:21 AM
Mike, Dan, Rick,

Thanks for the info. I want to do this right. The carpet is very expensive. $32.22 a yard. I want to get a 12x12 piece so I can have enuff to do the bunks on the trailer.

The polyester binding looks a litte like lace. Its not solid, you have to look real close to see the small holes. I dont thing it will trap moisture...What do you guys think? Do they make an orange binding in canvas?

Also this carpet will be snapped in. NO GLUE! I didn't spend a 2 weeks on the floors to ruin them again. I was also going to put a type of thin foam mat under the carpet to have it able to breath.

Let me know your thoughts!!!

(NJ)Scott

RickR
03-17-2001, 07:59 AM
I didn't use foam. We swimm alot and I was afraid it wouldn't dry.

That's alot of carpet. Isn't 12'x3'enough for the bunks?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Dr. Dan
03-17-2001, 08:10 AM
Scott, Wow $32 is a "Boat Load", I hope it's made out of platinum yarn! If it's a apecial marine grade I can understand it being a bit more expensive but I would think it would range $15 to $25/yard at the most retail. On the binding color,if you can't readily find a color you like, you have a couple of options. 1. Go to a Carpet Store that offers binding and check out there assorted colors, there is virtually every complimentary color available to go with most main stream dye lots. 2. If that turns out to be futile, go to a JoAnn Fabric Shop or some other such retail place that sells cloth for the sewing types of the world,you will find a variety of products readily available right off the shelf. You can also order or cut from their (binding appropriate)stock materials enough to make your own. ie. from bulk material order/cut the lineal footage amounts you need in the widths that would work for your application, say an 1.5" x 12lineal feet, these strips of material can now be folded over the edge 1/2 way to effectively make a binding. Also RickR makes a good point about the need for binding at all,if its a low cut pile nap or a loop, you can cut it and buy some Latex sealer from a floor supply place that would seal the edges, Home Depot even carries this type of sealer.

Scott Pearson
03-17-2001, 08:54 AM
Dan,
I will check some stores for binding. That gets stapled right? Then glued under? I want to use binding just because I think it looks neater. Its and industral type of grade. You cant get marine grade in orange anywhere.

Rick,
I want more carpet because I'm going up in the ski rack with it also and Im going to make some mats that go where you feet would rest....I know I'm nuts.

(NJ)Scott

Dr. Dan
03-17-2001, 06:18 PM
Scot, staples will rust and will stain your floor and possibly your carpet, the binding should be sewn on with a professional binding machine, the thread should be a high grade nylon or equivalent that will hold up in the elements. If your carpet has snaps and it gets real wet you can pull it out to dry, also on a pad, you can cut many styles of rubber based or synthetic felt pad to fit your application. Remember the sun will do a good job killing mold if you allow the carpet & pad to get sun dried occasionally,especially after a hard wet day of Play! I do not recommend regular rebond residential pad for under your carpet because it will dry out and develop hard spots as its exposed,pad is cheap and you could definitely afford to replace it as needed, you want a high density "thin" pad, 1/4" or less at an 8lbs or 6lbs density, ask at a carpet store explain your use and they'll point you in the right direction.

Eight_(8)_Ball
03-17-2001, 07:00 PM
"Im going to make some mats that go where you feet would rest....I know I'm nuts.
" scott i did that in my boat also .....they look real nice until they FLEW out http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif
on the acrylic binding wear it generaly isnt wear you are stepping anyway.

------------------
Mike @ Bayview Canvas (http://www.bayviewcanvas.com)

Scott Pearson
03-18-2001, 08:47 AM
Dan, Mike,
Thanks for the great info. I didn't think staples where the right way to go even though there Galvanized. Something about staples in there just doesnt seem right.

I will let you know how I make out...89 days to the Lake George Dust Off....Gotta get this thing done!

(NJ)Scott

Dr. Dan
03-18-2001, 10:33 AM
Scot, See ya there this will be our first, Liz and I are on our way to Jackson Marines' Spring ST. Patty's day sale, I have a laundry list of toys and questions? ...Good Luck with the carpet... Danny