PDA

View Full Version : Re: Corsicans

Craig
09-25-2000, 11:29 AM
Haven't heard anyone mention a 16' Corsican. To anyones knowledge, was one ever produced? I was under the impression that there was, for a number of reasons, but only ever hear the 18' mentioned here.
Craig

Craig
09-25-2000, 03:44 PM
Adding to above: One reason for confusion re: 16' Corsican, besides the fact that I've never seen one, is that I noticed in the archives 1966 Donzi brochure there seems to be 2 pages of the Corsican. Both labeled Corsican 18, but different pictures and info. The 2 look similar like the 18-2+3 and Ski Sporter look similar (except seats). What I'm thinking should be the 16' Corsican has seats arranged like the Ski Sporter 16. I assume the one Corsican page contains a mistake calling the 16 an 18 (i.e. a typo in the brochure). Anyone know for sure? Anyone own a 16' Corsican?

Craig
09-26-2000, 11:14 AM
Hate to keep pestering, but I figured this (inquiry above) would have been an easy one. Doesn't anybody know?

GeneD
09-26-2000, 11:18 AM
Okay, I'll bite, not hard though.
I have never heard of a 16 ft. Corsican.
Though the local expert would be either Kenny G, or Big G.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Craig
09-26-2000, 11:41 AM
Thanks Gene,
I did make a mistake on my question regarding the Corsicans shown in the archives photos. I just went there and its the 1969 (not 1966) catalog that shows 2 different Corsicans, but calls both 18's. Take a look, if interested. Unfortunately the photos for 1969 are not very good like the ones for 1966 and 70-72 and you can't read the small print where it says the length in the specs. Anybody have a 1969 catalog where that is legible?

BigGrizzly
09-26-2000, 08:45 PM
I have the original 1969 price list and pictures.there is only one, offered with six power options. Four I/O and two V drives. Options from a 165hp Interceptor to a 400hp Holman and Moody V drive.

Kenn
09-27-2000, 03:06 PM
Big G is correct
Only one model Corsican.
18 ft.

Kenn

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

Craig
09-27-2000, 04:09 PM
Big G and/or Kenn,
O.K. I'm still just puzzling over the photo in the archives. As I said there appear to be 2 different boats pictured as the Corsican 18. Though the pics are fuzzy, one looks to be the standard 18 Corsican (the shot shown from a front angle) and the other (photo from back angle) looks shorter, plus has what looks to be a Sweet 16 type seating arrangement (one front bucket w/ a wrap around). Take a quick look. Maybe they just showed a couple angles of the Corsican, but it does look like definitely 2 different seating arrangements. To your knowledge, did they offer 2 options for seating? The other puzzler to me is that the previously discussed Cobalt copies include 4 Donzi like models, one being a 16' Corsican styled boat. Whatever happened, way back when, Cobalt apparently even copied portions of Donzi's catalog with detailed, to scale, artist's renditions of all their models for their catalog graphics rather than photos. The copies of 18-2+3, 16 Ski Sporter, and Corsicans are shown at the exact angle in the Cobalt catalog as they are in the Donzi cataolg included in the archives. However, this old copy of the Cobalt catalog I have is in good shape and legible so specs are discernable. It lists the rear angle picture of the Corsican-styled boat as a 16 footer. That is the other part of why I was under the impression there may have been a Donzi Corsican 16. Guess not.

GeneD
09-27-2000, 05:41 PM
Optical illusion big fella.
I finally saw what you saw, and it is indeed an optical illusion.
Funny camera angle, whatever...
You've heard from the two big Corsican dudes in town.
Believe them.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Craig
09-27-2000, 08:47 PM
Gene,
To be honest, I've been putting off getting my eyes checked. Maybe its time. Hey when you start having trouble with boat ID, it's time. Plan on putting pics I spoke of above on photo point site for viewing. I have never yet seen a Corsican "in person", just pictures. They're mighty fine lookin' boats.

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 09-27-2000).]

GeneD
09-28-2000, 08:24 AM
And wait till you do!
You have never seen another boat like it!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida