PDA

View Full Version : Awakening of the Horses Part 2

boldts
03-14-2001, 03:42 PM
Good idea Rick. Not sure what happened, but we used to be able to pick the page to read. Sounds like you guys in the South are well on your way to Spring. We're in the lower 50's in OH. Finally a chance to get those Christmas lights down Ha Ha.

Bryan - I'm not an expert on the Volvo drive line-up. I know there are a lot of ingenious folks out there who have adapted outboard trim cylinders to the earlier Volvo drives. When I spoke to boat rigging people in the OH area, most said it wasn't worth the expense. Also, along with the hull restoration, I'd like to upgrade the running gear. I've been told that a 400 Chevy small block is a good cost effective upgrade. The 383 stroker engine is a fine engine, but a $2,000 crank cost is a little out of my budget. First priority on my Donzi is getting her back to show room condition.

For information on the Lake Cumberland, Jamestown Marina, Awakening of the Horses event along with the official shirts of the event, go to: www.mwdonziclub.com (http://www.mwdonziclub.com)

Scott Boldt

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 03-14-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
03-14-2001, 05:25 PM
Scott, I would have to agree with you and your thinking, get her show room and then do what you think is the next priority.
Isn't your classic worth more as a collector etc, restore original? If so I would not change the outdrive.

I know I haven't mailed the polo shirt check yet, I close on the 2nd house next Friday so I am afraid to spend foolishly at the moment, BUT I am having the trailer bearings done tomorrow, repacked and new seals for $90 parts and labor. I need the piece of mind before I pull out for KY. I will order my shirts first week or so in April. If I can afford it! This 2 house deal will blow for awhile.

MY bud is looking hard at a new 2001 26ZX, so we'll see, he is talking of ordering next week, there might just be three boats from here at KY. He has been speaking with RickR and his Dad, so he tells me anyway. Our dealer has no ZX's at the moment.

Again, if you can come a day early do it and meet us at Bandits!
Bryan

boldts
03-14-2001, 10:21 PM
Bryan,
Original is cool, but if you want more speed, the only way to get it is to upgrade. I've seen a 26ZX and that is one sweet Donzi. I hope all works out for your friend. I almost drove off the freeway trying to talk to a guy with one at 65 MPH. Not to mention, it was my favorite colors Blue and White with the checkered flag graphics. The guy pulling it must have thought I was nuts. I think inside, he knew why.

Scott Boldt

CDMA
03-14-2001, 10:45 PM
Guys,

Just my .02. I spent hundreds of hours restoring my 18 classic (1968) to perfect condition. I went through the whole restorartion saying part of the mysitique of the classic donzi was the volvo and so forth. I restored to boat with a 280 drive. It was a huge mistake. The drive, while great, is very old technology and while it can be adapted with hydraulic steering and trim in reality it will never have the simplicity and more importantly the complete intergration that for example a mercruiser or a new volvo will have. I told my self over and over that the #1 thing was looks and that was all I wanted and in the end I was dead wrong. These boats are built and meant to run and you always want to go faster. For that reason my restored boat is apart now getting an Alpha drive. While not as strong as the Volvo I feel it is by far a superior package for this application. Would I rather have a Bravo or even better a Volvo GSi like Stormer...sure but for the $$$ I want my Alpha.

Chris

Formula Jr
03-15-2001, 02:43 AM
I actually looked at trying to get to this meet. Five days out, three days there, five days back. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif You know SOMEBODY is going to have to bring a portable Bocci Ball court.

To Bryan's question. From a purely economic viewpoint, an original restore would most likely decrease the resale value on a classic Donzi. Interior wise, original is better, but motors and drives its better to update. Who wants an Eaton drive if you can't get parts? The boats are S l o w unless you add trimtabs. Everyone wants tilt, trim, NFB or power steering. And why use a 289 H/M if you can put in a 383? Almost all the boats in the registry are faster than the originals due to the engine updates.

Bryan Tuvell
03-15-2001, 06:43 AM
Interesting info, I was just curious about restore vs upgrading in reference to value. Personally I don't have the tech skills and a wallet deep enough for an old classic restore, but I wish I did!

I gotta ask, what is a portable bocci ball court? LOL

Bryan

GeneD
03-15-2001, 01:16 PM
Uh, I have a request from a friend for me to attend this event.
How many FLA guys are going?
How far is it from me?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Bryan Tuvell
03-15-2001, 01:21 PM
832.5 miles, 16 hours 49 min, 18 turns

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
03-15-2001, 03:15 PM
Trailer: well I had her in for service today, less than a 1000 miles and pitted bearings but the "National" sleves looked great. He said they were top notch compared to most new off the lot trailers, of course I was clueless to what he was talking about. LOL
I had everything redone/replaced!

I am ready for the tow to KY.
Bryan

roadtrip
03-15-2001, 04:51 PM
Hey GeneD,
Gotcha beat on total distance from my home to the AOTH by 25 miles. Mapquest says 857.4 miles in 14 hours and 40 minutes. That seems awfully slow... I normally make it in 12 hours.
Madpoodle is the only FLA guy on the official list. Several folks from Georgia.
Think you and Scott could scare up a caravan?
Total boat count is 23 with quite a few folks waivering. Always room for more. Cumberland is a beautiful place. You will not be disappointed... Todd

BigGrizzly
03-15-2001, 07:54 PM
Hey J.R H&M also put in 351 Ceavlands in them. Mine runs real well with the Volvo. Just so you know Chevy isn't the only motor that goes fast. However I don't suggest people build one. It is a hard motor to build right and exhayst sustem has to be special made. No one makes them any more.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell
03-15-2001, 08:54 PM
Damn, my 727 miles is now small time compared to the Fla and TX guys!
A short distance for some Donzi fun!
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
03-18-2001, 07:54 PM
Add one more Donzi to the list Scott, previous Donzi owner (Bob) and one of my closest buds ordered a new 26ZX 496HO Poker Run package boat on 13 March, est delivery 1 May!
We are both going down to the factory mid April to check her progress out!
Deliver on time Donzi so we can see her in KY. Damn, no one to share the driving with now!
Bryan

StingRay
03-19-2001, 02:42 PM
Bryan Buddy:
Just thought I'd chime in on this Donzi net.

Bob told me about his new order Saturday night at O'Leary's for Robin's B-day. I knew he was gonna do something the way he was searching things out on the net. He also was talking like he wasn't gonna bring it to Cumberland because he was concerned his V-6 Jeep wouldn't make the long tow with a 5K lb. boat. I told him either Mark or myself would trade off boats for the tow. My Stingray is 3800 and I think Mark's 22 Scarab is maybe 32-3400 lbs.

Let's hope the weather holds out. I'm psyched to check out 76 falls and I heard there may be a shoot out set up at the dam, is that true??

I don't think there will be a problem tapping out that keg. Bryan I think you, Mark and myself alone could put a hurtin'on it.

No word yet on my new boat situation. Still gotta sell either the Stingray or the old Sunbird to facilitate a trade with what's left. Ideally, I sell the Stingray and trade the Sunbird. They offered to take'em both in on trade but the numbers didn't meet my minimum. Even if I still have the Stingray come May I'm still a happy camper and ready to take anything non-blown. Get this, I took it out Staturday afternoon, yes in 53 degree temps, and tore up Broad Bay. With the nippy temps I pushed it up to 76mph. Couldn't feel my face and froze a smile for about 20 minutes afterwards. I guess these ponies are wide awake already!!!!

Look forward to seeing you Donzi guys on the Lake. They're sweet boats with classic lines. I know there'll be other "cousins" there too and maybe a couple other Stingrays as well. Like Bryan says: "...let's ROCK!!"... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

Bryan Tuvell
03-19-2001, 04:00 PM
Hey there StingRay, I spoke with Bob today, he is wearing out the factory boys in the perfomance shop, they need to put him on hold more!!!! My bet is it will not be done 1 May, I guess Steve at Donzi told him it was not in the computer yet!
He told me the same concerns about towing, YET he gets the Chrysler Grand Cherokee tow package tomorrow (Tuesday!).
He says we don't need 4 boats, which is cool, mine is going regardless of who takes what! I know he will read this and I have to say I think he might be scared of some of the BB Classics showing up his 75MPH boat! Or he could really just be overly sweating!
You know here on the shore they call ZX's Barbie Boats! I had to tell the Merc mechanic we get more TAIL than FIN!!!!!!
So is Marc and the Scarab a go now for sure? HOW BIG IS THIS CABIN of your moms? Once tied up I can snuggle in the cuddy if need be, oops, Scarabs don't have one of those, Mark gets to sleep on the dock!
Call you later.
Bryan.

RickSE
03-19-2001, 04:17 PM
Bryan,
Who did Bob order through? I'd ask my dad but he's on his way back from Germany right now. Sounded like he was able to give Bob a good price, but then we never really know what other dealers can offer. I'm getting my own 496 next month but it's in a new Chevrolet Crew Cab.

Bryan Tuvell
03-19-2001, 06:08 PM
He ordered through our local Donzi dealer up in Gloucester, Va. 496HO, yep you don't see many Donzi adds for them but it is the replacement for the 502, I read a huge Merc article on them and they appear to have a better power curve low and mid range, same top end.
Bob went all out, his idea was a stripped 28 or a 26 with all the bells and whistles. I think he is over trying to be the fastest of our foursome, he is settleing for low 70's. But he has luxury and a great rough water boat, which is where we all boat!
He did say your dad had some great prices, but you have to know Bob, he is like me, once I deal with somone I stay with them. He is old school which I believe in that too.
It will be awhile before I get another boat or trade this one, at least another year and a half, year 4 of the Z Care warranty and mine will be gone for probably another 22ZX. It fits us just right according to momma, me I would like to upgrade in size also.
Take care. Bryan

RickSE
03-20-2001, 09:21 AM
Thanks Brian,
Just curious. I agree, if you have a good local dealer who won't rip you off and has a good history then it's best to stick with them.

Forrest
03-20-2001, 09:35 AM
So the bus to Cumberland stops in Tallahassee. Hmmmm. . . . I may be able to work with that!

Oh, and BTW Stingray, I used to run my Donzi and other boats out of Broad Bay and Linkhorn Bay and out Lynhaven Inlet to the Chesapeake since the late 1960's back when I used to live on 88th Street in Va Beach. I still have a few friends that live on the water across from the Narrows (64th street) in Allington that I try to visit when I'm up there. Though a little congested in the summer, even back in the 1970's, those waters are a great place for boating.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 03-20-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
03-20-2001, 12:51 PM
RickR, thanks, I personally never dealt with them, my boat was a factory direct boat from a show etc.
Bob has dealt with them and he is comfortable with them plus he is the persistant type. I hope he makes out okay by ordering!

Forrest, a couple pics on my registry page were with Stingray at the narrows, it is 5 minutes from his house on Bay Island, cool place but packed in the summer. His '99 Stingray 502 is immaculant and for sale, he is in heat for a 28 Sunsation now. Everyone wants to be the fastest of our foursome! I am staying where I am at on speed. For now anyway.

KY, the big debate of the 4 boat caravan, the new guy worries of his Grand Cherokee towing the 26ZX weight, so Stingray like a real champion has offered to tow the ZX and he can pull the Scarab or Stingray which is a ton lighter!

Lastly thanks for the tip on the glass shop Forrest! There is a new photo on my page of the new blue windscreen, check it. Bryan

StingRay
03-20-2001, 02:32 PM
Forrest:

You know my stomping grounds. I live on the water on the North side of Bay Island (Long Creek). I can walk out on my dock and see Great Neck Rd bridge, Lynnhaven and Marina Shores boatels.

I/we spend a lot of time at the Narrows as it's become, or still is, a great beach up spot. (The inlaws live in Baycliff adjacent to Alanton). PWC's are a pain in the ass sometimes but I've learned to bite back with those dopes.

If we're not in Broad Bay we're anchored off Fort Story hanging out at their new Tiki bar, Duck Inn for their beach parties (huge) on Friday's or we run around to the intra-coastal waterway down in Chesapeake where there's a lot of motorheads and skier's with small beefed up rigs.

On the 3 big weekends (Memorial/4th/Labor) we truck out to Kerr Reservoir and camp at North Bend Park (C-section) play accoustic guitar and rage the lake drinking many boat-soda's. It's probably Va.'s version of Havasu or Lake of the Ozarks. Smith Moutain Lake is nice too. Anyway, are ya coming up to Cumberland? If so, look for the Stingray (if not 28 Sunsation by then) and we'll talk more about Hampton Roads.... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html (http://www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html)

Bryan Tuvell
03-22-2001, 03:10 PM
Stingray, Bob and Mark, stopped at AAA today, route is set! Maps in hand.

Stingray; I loved the pictures of the cabin and buck creek docks, looks really cool, pin down a covered dock price, $10 a night is fantastic.

Bryan

roadtrip
03-22-2001, 03:43 PM
Bryan,
Popped over to offshore.com to see what kind of reaction your thread on the AOTH was getting. There is somebody posting negative comments, because the weekend happens also to be Mother's Day. I am not a registered member of that board so I can't post a response, but I would suggest that you post an invite to this guy's mother. Who says this isn't a family event?
Also noticed that there are several other non-Donzi boats planning on coming, besides your buddies from VA. I say, the more the merrier. Perhaps we can convert a few of them while we are there. Mike Miller, is your local dealer booked in for this event? There may be a sales opportunity or two !!!! Todd

Bryan Tuvell
03-22-2001, 07:46 PM
ROADTRIP... man, LIFE IS GOOD!!!!
Even after a tough stressful day I can log on, and get a smile here on the great old Donzi BB....
I posted to his reply, that us that have been married forever would take care of our loved ones before or after KY...
I guess I skipped on making waves (for once!)....

Can't wait to see the ROADTRIP rig and meet you in person! Have a safe tow and lets have a toast to the long haulers!
Bryan

GEOO
03-22-2001, 08:15 PM
Had a start up on Thursday, sounds good. She's back in the garage. A little clean-up of the wiring and a sea trail on Saturday. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif GEOO

Bryan Tuvell
03-22-2001, 08:20 PM
GEOO. Good luck on the test run, I hope too hope start soon! These Nor Easters have been kicking the VA butt!
Like I said, keep us posted!
Bryan

DONZIMAN2
03-22-2001, 08:59 PM
You guys are killing me. The hitch is on the Jeep. If the boat gets here we will see.
Originally posted by Bryan Tuvell:
Stingray, Bob and Mark, stopped at AAA today, route is set! Maps in hand.

Stingray; I loved the pictures of the cabin and buck creek docks, looks really cool, pin down a covered dock price, $10 a night is fantastic.

Bryan

DONZIMAN2
03-22-2001, 09:01 PM
It takes alot TLC to lay that poker hand out on the decks/hull. I ready to ROCK Bryan as they say.

DONZIMAN2
03-23-2001, 12:50 PM
Bryan, I got your call about the boat cover. What was your question?

Originally posted by Bryan Tuvell:
Hey there StingRay, I spoke with Bob today, he is wearing out the factory boys in the perfomance shop, they need to put him on hold more!!!! My bet is it will not be done 1 May, I guess Steve at Donzi told him it was not in the computer yet!
He told me the same concerns about towing, YET he gets the Chrysler Grand Cherokee tow package tomorrow (Tuesday!).
He says we don't need 4 boats, which is cool, mine is going regardless of who takes what! I know he will read this and I have to say I think he might be scared of some of the BB Classics showing up his 75MPH boat! Or he could really just be overly sweating!
You know here on the shore they call ZX's Barbie Boats! I had to tell the Merc mechanic we get more TAIL than FIN!!!!!!
So is Marc and the Scarab a go now for sure? HOW BIG IS THIS CABIN of your moms? Once tied up I can snuggle in the cuddy if need be, oops, Scarabs don't have one of those, Mark gets to sleep on the dock!
Call you later.
Bryan.

DONZIMAN2
03-23-2001, 12:52 PM
I guess you are trying to get Ken sewn on it for the road trip! That will make Barbi happy.

Originally posted by DONZIMAN2:
Bryan, I got your call about the boat cover. What was your question?

DONZIMAN2
03-23-2001, 12:53 PM
Rick, you taking it out this weekend?

Originally posted by StingRay:
Forrest:

You know my stomping grounds. I live on the water on the North side of Bay Island (Long Creek). I can walk out on my dock and see Great Neck Rd bridge, Lynnhaven and Marina Shores boatels.

I/we spend a lot of time at the Narrows as it's become, or still is, a great beach up spot. (The inlaws live in Baycliff adjacent to Alanton). PWC's are a pain in the ass sometimes but I've learned to bite back with those dopes.

If we're not in Broad Bay we're anchored off Fort Story hanging out at their new Tiki bar, Duck Inn for their beach parties (huge) on Friday's or we run around to the intra-coastal waterway down in Chesapeake where there's a lot of motorheads and skier's with small beefed up rigs.

On the 3 big weekends (Memorial/4th/Labor) we truck out to Kerr Reservoir and camp at North Bend Park (C-section) play accoustic guitar and rage the lake drinking many boat-soda's. It's probably Va.'s version of Havasu or Lake of the Ozarks. Smith Moutain Lake is nice too. Anyway, are ya coming up to Cumberland? If so, look for the Stingray (if not 28 Sunsation by then) and we'll talk more about Hampton Roads.... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html (http://www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html)

Bryan Tuvell
03-23-2001, 06:01 PM
Hey DONZIMAN2

I just spoke to your pretty wife, I am a go, see ya about 10am, ZX in tow. I would cross the bay but they said possible "advisory" so I am putting in at Ricks, I may have to run to drop off Jess at Megs.

Good warm up for KY...

See ya then. Bryan

DONZIMAN2
03-24-2001, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the support on my factory note. Look forward to KY. Hopefully the boat will be in tow.

Originally posted by boldts:
Good idea Rick. Not sure what happened, but we used to be able to pick the page to read. Sounds like you guys in the South are well on your way to Spring. We're in the lower 50's in OH. Finally a chance to get those Christmas lights down Ha Ha.

Bryan - I'm not an expert on the Volvo drive line-up. I know there are a lot of ingenious folks out there who have adapted outboard trim cylinders to the earlier Volvo drives. When I spoke to boat rigging people in the OH area, most said it wasn't worth the expense. Also, along with the hull restoration, I'd like to upgrade the running gear. I've been told that a 400 Chevy small block is a good cost effective upgrade. The 383 stroker engine is a fine engine, but a $2,000 crank cost is a little out of my budget. First priority on my Donzi is getting her back to show room condition.

For information on the Lake Cumberland, Jamestown Marina, Awakening of the Horses event along with the official shirts of the event, go to: www.mwdonziclub.com (http://www.mwdonziclub.com)

Scott Boldt

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 03-14-2001).]