PDA

View Full Version : 1980 21GT

Danny
09-24-2000, 04:55 PM
Looked at a 1980 21 GT with a454 ,TRS drive and left hand steering. What years were these boats produced, looking at the registry as early as 69 but I don't see any later than 74?
Nathan, is this basically the same hull as yours, same hull weight etc?(nice boat Nate)
Were the boats built in 1980 as heavy and as well built as the earlier ones?
Any cons to this boat, anything strange I should be looking for?

Jamesbon
09-26-2000, 08:47 AM
Danny,
Are any pics available? I'm nort sure what year they stopped production of the 21 GT, but 74 sounds more realistic than 80.....but I'm not sure. W/O pics, I can't compare to mine. However, I can't offer any cons in relation to my 1971 21 GT. It's the most solid, rock heavy, abuse taking boat I've ever been in.

I really like the fact that the 80 has a 454 and TRS drive. With a good tranny, that's a bullet proof combination. What type of transmission is in there? How much room is left between the crank pulley and gas tank - frot of engine compartment? ...Left hand steering, hmmm, I thought they did away with that in ?? (year)

Does it have an instrument panel below the dash / between the two front seats? I believe all GT's did. I wonder if it's really an 80. I'm sure someone else from the websie can answer the question pertaining to the production years of the GT.

Danny
09-26-2000, 04:02 PM
Nate
No hin # molded into the transom, but has a donzi plate on the inside of the transom GT21280. 2nd one produced in 80???
Anyboby any thoughts on other places to look for hull#s?
Transmission is a Velvet drive.
Ross found me a 1979 Donzi price list and it listed this boat with a 454 trs option around the 21/22 thousand US price range, so they appear to have been still making them.
I'd be interested in finding an 79 or 80 brochure to compare hull weight, your's is around 2900/3000 lbs. I think.
Yes it does have the conole under the dash between the front seats. No pics yet, at the developer and then I have to scan them .
The boat looks identical to yours, except it is blue as opposed to red, same strips same hardware same compartments in the sides, same dash configuration, same colouring on the dash. Anythoughts on what the dashes were painted with( the red part beneath the windsreen). How much did you chop your windscreen?
Don't know the distance between front of engine and the tank, what will that measurment show me?
Going to road test it this weekend.
I have looked at several GTs in the last couple of years, I know of a 72 with Chris Craft GM block with a Volvo drive, for 13 thousand Canadian.
Thanks for the help Nate.
Danny

Jamesbon
09-26-2000, 09:32 PM
Mine didn't have a molded serial # either, but an aluminum plate riveted to the stringer inside the engine compartment bearing the following "GTX2100021." Ahh, Velvet drives are nice, I have one in my ski boat and love the absolute smothness of the shifts. No, I'm not sure what they used to paint the dash. My windscreen was installed by a shop in Pompano Beach before I purchased her back in (1988?). I like the low profile style. If need be, I can get the name of the joint who bolted it on...just let me know. I was just curious how far I'd have to move my engine forward if I added an internal transmission and my spare TRS drive. (a Bravo would probably weigh less and require less engine mount modification though..) I'm not sure what 13K relates to in American coin, however if it's in good shape, it seems about fair. I must say, I do like the added beam, dry ride, roomy engine compartment, extra gunwhale storage bins, and stable ride the GT offers. A truly unique and rare boat.

Why are you after a GT in particular?

oldLenny
09-26-2000, 10:51 PM
...about $8500.00 US.

Danny
09-27-2000, 06:09 PM
Nate
I think I have looked at every Donzi under 22 feet that has come up for sale in Ontario in the last 3 years and a lot that have not been for sale. By Florida standards that may really not be very many. I have seen 3 GTs 2 early 70s and this one. Georgian Bay where I live and have a boat access cottage has some big open water and I usually don't let the wind and the waves affect my boating so you need a heavy tough boat and the GT fills the bill and looks real good at the same.
I'll get that measurement for you when I look at it again this weekend.
Danny

Jamesbon
09-28-2000, 03:41 PM
Thanks Danny. Yeah, I RARELY get wet in open waters, the GT is dry and certainly suited for big water. Good luck!!
Nate

Forrest
09-28-2000, 04:27 PM
Hay Nate, do you ever take your Donzi over to Eggmont Key? That should be a nice ride through the Gulf from your house.

------------------
Forrest

Jamesbon
09-29-2000, 08:04 AM
Forrest,
Yes, we've taken her down there a few times leaving from Johns Pass, then straight south to Egmont. It's not a bad ride if the Gulf's cooperating. Coming home from Egmont in a typical Florida summer thunderstorm sucks though! Especially w/o a bimini or rain gear. Oh well, lived and learned. Egmont's beautiful, but the only thing I don't like is that you can't beach your boat there, one must anchor just offshore and swim in. I'm not always particularly comfortable with that, as I stare down in the water and se thousands of bait fish swimming around. My friend accidently crashed his flybridge cruiser on the rocks there. A pretty sight.

Nate