PDA

View Full Version : water in fuse panel

BigStew
09-23-2000, 10:33 AM
Every time I wash my 22zx or get in rough seas water gets in the fuse panel underneath the steering wheel. Alot of water like a gallon or so. It is not the speedometer cable like the dealership said and I have also used silicon to seal the seams in the dash and windshield area. The saltwater is wreaking havok on my electrical system. Any suggestions as to where this may be coming from?

Blewbyu
09-24-2000, 12:29 AM
Big Stew-
1.What color was the water?
2.Do you scare easily in rough water?

Russ Walker
08-21-2001, 09:49 PM
This is a really late post, but here goes. I had the same problem with my 22ZX and I discovered a hole in the RTV seal where the dash mates under the edge of the windshield. A little dab, problem all gone!

Sabercr
08-23-2001, 11:09 AM
What is the RTV and how do you fix this?

BigGrizzly
08-23-2001, 02:34 PM
RTV is room tempeture vulcaqnizing. better known as silicone seal.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-24-2001, 04:54 PM
BigStew, if there is no gap on the 5200 sealant in the front of the fairing look elsewhere for the problem. Or, could the water be going between the windshield and fairing! I thought I would jump in here since I watched them install a new fairing on my boat this past February due to failing structually.
As far as getting extra sealant on the cockpit side, I am sure you have figured out it cannot be done once the top is on.
The fairing from the factory is glued (2 tubes of stuff that the gun mixes into one) and sealed with 5200 or equal equivilent and held in place by three screws, one in each corner and one in the very center.
Those would have to be some serious waves to get in the center front screw hole around the sealant.
The speedo is the only other possibility, I was always told the water never makes it that far up the tube anyway, it is the water pressure that makes the speedo register, I could be wrong but that is what Gaffrig told me once when I called for tech advice, but if there was a pin hole leak, and air pressure absent then water might make the journey to the dash... the pros here would know this for sure. But if it happens at bath time, who knows....
Keep us posted, I would be interested in hearing what you did and what the problem was.
Bryan

Russ Walker
08-25-2001, 01:15 AM
Mine only had the leaking problem in rain or during wash. Running on the water it was always dry as a bone. I guess what I wanted to say it I found the problem on mine in one area and I guess the problem could be found in other areas as well, but it was always under the fuse panel, so it has to be on the drivers side. Good luck in your hunt.

RickR
08-25-2001, 06:07 AM
Sometimes the speedo tube will only leak near WOT. At speed there is a suprising amount of water pressure.
Next time she leaks go under the dash and check the speedo and tube for drips.