PDA

View Full Version : Things where going smooth....

Scott Pearson
09-22-2000, 06:55 AM
Have been going along pretty good on the restoration of my 1968 Donzi barrel back. The hull is all painted and flipped back over on the Rolls Trailer. I did a load of work on the underside of the deck and flipped that over to work on the top side. Well here is where things went backwards. I was drilling out all the old snaps that are riveted on from the factory. Well when I stepped up into the deck to get at some more rivets I noticed how soft the glass was under the rear seats. Now I thought that I beefed this up when I had the deck upside down. Well guess what, what I thought was just thick fiberglass turns out to be Balsa inbetween. It was rotted. Seems when Donzi drilled the drain holes in the corners of the glass in the rear seat areas they did not drill through the glass only. They drilled through the wood also.

Well, I had to cut everything back out and once I got to the wood it came out like chopped beef. I will be picking new balsa up today and get this mistake back on track.

For those of you doing a restoration...Check this area. Luckley all the other wood is perfect. I just didnt know there was wood under these damn seats.

I hope to have paint on the deck in the next 2-3 weeks. If all goes well...Keeping fingers crossed.

(NJ) Scott

Jamesbon
09-22-2000, 08:14 AM
Scott,
Sounds like an interesting project. I'll most likely follow your foot steps in the next couple years with my 1971 21 GT. (Registry # GTX2100021) Just out of curiousity, what type of paint will you use on the exterior of the hull? I'll be doing a bottom job here in the next couple months.

Thanks...Nathan

GeneD
09-22-2000, 09:03 AM
Nathan,
I just got it, just now...minutes ago!
Jamesbon is really supposed to be JamesBond, right?
You dirty dog!
Way to go. But...what are you going to name that bad boy GT?
How about Seafire! (one of John Gardner's JB books - his 14th)
Nate, you old sea dog!
Scott,
I didn't realize there was balsa under that. I'm going to check my boat out today. Yeah, it's a bummer, but be glad you found it now. Boy, you are really into it huh? Sounds like the same thing I did. Deck is off and on the ground? Best way. Thing is, how in heck did you move that thing by yourself?
It took 8 people to put the deck on my boat! I have a picture somewhere, I should post it.
Good luck, it sounds like you are doing a bang up job.
Gosh, all these restos! We are going to have one hell of a fleet!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 09-22-2000).]

Scott Pearson
09-22-2000, 10:53 AM
Nathan.,
I used PPG DBC Basecoat with DCU 2021 Clear. Came out great. The same thing will be used on the deck.

Hay Gene,
Yea...Check it out! Nothing like shooting myself in the foot on that one. It took 6 of use to remove the deck and flip it over and over again. It took 8 of us to flip the hull over and over again. Not really that heavy, just awkward.Im sanding the deck today. I have to wait for the Balsa. I didn't have any 1/2 inch so it had to be ordered. If this keeps up maybe I will sell the boat to Lenny.

(NJ) Scott

oldLenny
09-22-2000, 11:36 AM
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif I heard that...By the way, I am spending as much time looking at maps as this site. Maryland, MI is about a good rocks through from a Canadian city, New Jersey isn't that bad either, say to Windsor. The upper right states are all pretty close to Great Lakes and Canada...hmmmm Lots of Donzi's there too...hmmm

Jamesbon
09-22-2000, 11:54 AM
Thanks Scott. When pics are available, I'd like to see how the finish looks.

GeneD,
Yeah, James Bond. Stems from my internet e-mail account in which Jamesbond (with a "d") was already taken, so I opted for Jamesbon (no "d")...next best thing.

I wanted to name her "Bikini Holder," because she's had her share in her day, but now I have a steady girl, so the old GT doesn't get to enjoy holding as many little, wet, tight bikinis as she used to. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif I'll have to come up with something good, sometime.

oldLenny
09-22-2000, 03:07 PM
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif Scot, I just got back from a nice pub lunch, a Friday ya know, and I saw a nice Hungarian "girl", weightlifter, on a tv showing the Olympics that could've flipped your hull and deck for you by herself. Man!...how come no ones ever around when you NEED them...Len

Scott Pearson
09-22-2000, 04:53 PM
Well...I sanded the whole deck today and I didn't run into anymore surprises. Just have some minor things to fix and then onto paint. With my luck a tornado will come along and take the deck away. Then I'll make a fishing boat out of the hull.

Lenny... did you get a date with that monster?

C-Yea

(NJ) Scot