PDA

View Full Version : outdrive oil

Bryan Tuvell
03-09-2001, 09:40 AM
I read a post awhile back on another BB (outdrives.com I think) and now I can't find it. It was concerning outdrive fluid, something about Alphas use the green or Bravos could use either etc...
I have an Alpha I Sec gen, I checked my Merc book and it doesn't say anything about type etc.

I had the fluid changed out at winterizing but I noticed last weekend that it was about 1/2" low from the fill line.

What do I use?
Thanks in advance for another education.
Bryan

GeneD
03-09-2001, 11:23 AM
Bri,
I love Mercury High Performance Gear Oil. It costs a little more, but hey...aren't we worth it?
1/2" low in the reservoir? Have you noticed any leakage anywhere? Trim down and check the prop shaft seal. I have noticed on the Gen 2's that this seal likes to leak. I am not sure if it is really all that important, I mean it would indicate a leak for sure, but...I guess I'm trying to say that it is not a cause for immediate alarm.
Keeping the reservoir full is the key.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Bryan Tuvell
03-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Thanks Gene, I was thinking it was different for alphas than bravos. Thanks for the brand tip.

I don't think I have a leak, I do have a hair of concern, I had a new skeg put on this winter, the guy packed the prop in ice as he worked, I am a bit worried about the seals now. I guess if I start toosing fluid 1st day out I will know uh? Any thoughts on this Gene?

Bryan

Sam
03-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Merc high performance lube is the way to go, it is the recommended lube to use per the factory.
Sam

roadtrip
03-09-2001, 09:01 PM
Bryan,
Mecury has re-packaged their drive oil over the past few months. You want the blue stuff they call high performance plus. I have run it for many moons with no drive failures.