PDA

View Full Version : Ignition(?)

Chops
03-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Who knows the hot set up for converting from breaker points? I really need the whole distributor, Mallory Unilite (YLU624AV) electronic looks pretty good to me. And how about adding MSD w/ Rev limiter? Mallory seems to make a competitive product called Hyfire. Which is better?

What sayeth the venerable council?

BigGrizzly
03-08-2001, 09:34 PM
I have both. The Corsican has a Unilite and a Promaster coil. I didn't use the highfire because the rpms are below 6500. and was a wast of money. The MSD is a good unit, ut you need a expensive distributor a 200-300 dollar MSD box and a coil. If your engine is in good shape and not ritch the multiple spark is useless. All it realy does is clean the plug. Changing them around did not give me 1 rpm difference. the reasion the Criterion has MSD is the new block came with a MSD distributor. IT is nice and the box has a soft touch revlimiter, which is good for the big block. Choice is yours. However if you want to get rid of the points, just get the points eliminator called the "Igniter". I put thst in my Mach I and it works great. cost $60. All the above are quality pieces.

Randy

Randy.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 03-08-2001).]

BERTRAM BOY
03-08-2001, 09:59 PM
I don't know much about them, but someone I know has just changed over to Prestolite ignitions and has had very positive results. I was going to convert my boat as well, and have just started looking into it ...
BERTRAM BOY

RickR
03-09-2001, 07:00 AM
A couple years ago MSD had a automotive dist you can use without the MSD Box.
Check out Summitt and Jegs.
The only difference between MSDs Marine and Auto unit is a hole with screen in the bottom and the Marine cap screws down, auto cap is spring loaded.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Jamesbon
03-09-2001, 08:34 AM
I upgraded from points to a Mallory L.E.D., then recently upgraded the L.E.D. with a Pertronics mag trigger unit for $79.00. (Summit/Jegs) It uses a circular ring with embedded magnets that trigger a mag pick up in the distributor. This unit eliminates the need for a ballast resistor and runs a full 12 volts through the ignition. Installs in 10 minutes, just like the Mallory L.E.D. Personally, I like the Pertronics unit better than the Mallory, and I loved my Mallory. Cold starts are infinitely easier.

No offense to you guys with points systems, but the new technology is as hassle free as it gets.

[This message has been edited by Jamesbon (edited 03-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jamesbon (edited 03-09-2001).]