PDA

View Full Version : 22p Turbo good or Bad

G - FORCE 88
07-11-2002, 02:46 PM
I just bought a 14 1/2 x 22p Turbo for my 22 classic. I paid 190 with shipping. Was this a good buy? Would this prop work with my set up? I am going to have it repitched to a 24, I think. WHta do you guys suggest any feedback would help.
thanks
JOnny boy :D

G - FORCE 88
07-11-2002, 02:49 PM
i forgot, I have a 454 mag with a Bravo 1 drive, 1.5 gear, and a was cuurently running a25p Mirage @4700 rpm @wot @72 mph. (GPS) :-)

Moody Blu'
07-11-2002, 03:03 PM
dude, your gonna lose alot of speed even if you repitch to 24.maybe you could repitch it to 26-27?

good luck.......

BigGrizzly
07-11-2002, 04:03 PM
He can't pull a 27 inch I doubt he can pull a 26. I pull a 27 and I havw over 600 hp.

Randy

Moody Blu'
07-11-2002, 04:58 PM
griz does the 25p sound like the best he can get?

or do you think if he pitched down a size maybe he coudl bring the rpms up and get a lil more top end? or does he risk valvetrain problems?

johnny boy it sounds like your set up pretty good.. if you got the prop and have nothing beter to do try a pitch down or a pitch up form what you have now.....
anyone else got some suggestions for him?

Sam
07-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Speaking to the $190.00 price you paid you got a very good deal. As for the the re-pitch question Mr. Poodle is correct. Just as an FYI, I run a 22" Turbo on my 16 and found it to be the best allround prop I have tested to date.

Sam

G - FORCE 88
07-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Guys thanks for all your help,

I decided after speaking to the prop guys, that a 26p was going to be too much. My rpm's would go way down and speed about the same. So what im gonna do is keep my 25P MIrage but have a heavier cup put into it, and then pitch the 22 turbo into a 23 or 24 so it can be used for heavier loads and tubbing and hanging around. Just for more hole shot. Is it a good idea to cup a Mirage further? Eventually I would like to get some more power so I can put a bigger pitch and more speed out of my 454. I spoke to a guy that builds and sells APBA boats and he told me a small blower and some mods would do good for about 80 mph + or so. Is this a wise idea? Let me know what you guys think.

Scott
I was out on the boat, but a little further south. You should trailer to Key Largo sometime, thats where im gonna do most of my boating from now on. Let me know if your gonna be down there. I have a home on the ocean side mile marker 100.
Jon :rolleyes: :D

Moody Blu'
07-11-2002, 07:55 PM
before I even read the supercharger part thats what I was thinking.

though you could get some more power if you switch intakes and go up on carb size and maybe swap out cams....

boldts
07-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Not sure here, but I thought the Turbo came in a 14 1/4" dia. If your running a 25" Mirage now, I would almost have to think the Turbo with less dia. is going to need to be at least a 25" pitch also since less dia. will allow your RPM's to run about 200 more. Your at 4700 now so the Tubo 25" should put you right in the 4900 to 5000 RPM area. As far as the pitch change, what everyone else has said is correct. 2" is the most you can change in either plus or minus. Prop shops I have spoken with recommend no more than 1" change on a stainless prop because it is a brittle material once streched. Personaly, if your getting low 70's at 4700, I wouldn't change a thing unless you have a problem with chine walking with the Mirage at that speed. The Turbo because of the smaller dia. tends to settle the boat down at high speed.
Just my .02 worth from recent investigations. wink

BigGrizzly
07-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Scott, the blade dianiter of the marafge decreasea as the pitch increses. The blade sweot area of the turbo is more than a Marage. on my boat the Marage and a Turbo of the same pitch have the same RPMS but the Turbo is 2 MPH faster. Granted my boat hasa little more HP but the results are relative. Did the same thing eith the stock engine.
TanT,I run 80 and it takes a little more than just a small blower and some mods. it takes real Dollars ans time. But then every bass boat and Bahja in the world says they run 90, it says so on the speedometer.

Randy

boldts
07-14-2002, 01:06 AM
Randy,
Thanks a ton, that explains why when I asked what dia. a Mirage Plus and a plain Mirage was I got the answer "It depends on what the pitch of the prop is." If the shop had just said that the dia. gets smaller as you increase the pitch, I would not have thought they didn't know what they were talking about and were just jerking me around! Props, what a science! :)

Tomahawk
07-14-2002, 06:24 AM
The Turbo 1 props are all 14 1/4" diameter. The similar Turbo Vector series props are 14 1/2" diameter. The Turbo Vector seies is intended for heavier sportboats with big horsepower. Even so, what Scott said is right on. The 25" pitch Turbo 1 should increase your rpm's 100 to 200 and put you very close to where you want to be,in terms of rpm. Speed ?. It would be about the same, maybe slightly faster. If you have the 14 1/2" diameter Turbo Vector, it will act different than the Turbo 1. Adding more cup to the Mirage will only reduce your rpm. If you change your motor, you start over again. As has been said here before, to know for sure, you just have to try them on your boat
As Scott said, your boat is running very well just like it is. The 22 Turbo you bought will be good for 200 yrd drag races. wink