PDA

View Full Version : Dipping a prop in a chrome bath???

G - FORCE 88
07-11-2002, 02:32 PM
I was wondering if this is a good idea? I would like to have a super super shinny prop. WOuld having it chromed out be a good idea? WOuld it last? HAs anybody ever done this.
thanks
jon eek! :rolleyes:

MOP
07-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Thats a darn good question, and kind of interesting. I along time ago hung out in a buddies chrome shop in Patchogue. I watched some of the processes, he had to first plate stuff with I think copper to get the chrome to bond. I had my fork tubes, heads , tranny done that way plus a ton of other little junk my cost by my friend was $800 back in 68, as you know that stuff was all aluminum. Looked great but was alot of work to get stuff to fit back together. That was a Jersey Joe 102" Harley that for a time was the fastest bike on LI, used to wail the new big block Corvettes with my babe on the back. Back to the prop thing, what happens if you ding the thing. It may peel, wonder if anyone up here knows what it costs to have one polished. It took me three evenings to do one, now I've gotten lazy!

HyperDonzi
07-11-2002, 08:26 PM
mercury people at that lake x place in florida (their old testing grounds) reccomend not polishing your prop. they say that it will let the blades flex a little bit in places they arent supposed to.

MOP
07-11-2002, 11:11 PM
I don't agree! I feel a Flawless metal surface less apt to fracture, flex or crack. Should be some good metal guys up here.

PE012
07-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Do not chrome plate a prop or any under water gear! I race a dra hydroplane (6.85 second/168.97mph) and the problem is you can't see crack that develop in the base metal the plating hides them. You also get hydrogen enbrittlement in the 4130 steel props when they are chromed. Just my .02 worth.We polish the lead side of the prop and sand (400 grit) the working face for more bite.

Scott Pearson
07-12-2002, 06:35 AM
MOP,
Would that be Stroker Joe's on Rt1 in Rahway?

I heard he was a great motor builder.

(NJ)Scott