PDA

View Full Version : Decibel Level

Sam
03-08-2001, 06:10 PM
I recently bought a 1996 sweet 16 powered by a 5.7 Lt equipped with straight through hull exhaust. I am interested in finding out what some of you other owners with similar set up's have experienced with your decibel readings. It will a month or so before I can get it in the water and have it properly tested. I know the limit here in Michigan is 90 decibels. Thanks !

GeneD
03-08-2001, 06:23 PM
Since we don't have a noise restriction law in FLA, I don't what the DB is on my boat. But I know that it is LOUD.
Sign me,
Loud...and loving it!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

FASTEDDIE
03-08-2001, 07:33 PM
Sam
As you may know we have the Federal decibel Law throughout the country and many states have adopted the federal guidelines rather then recreate their own requirements.Here at Lake George in New York State, the federal laws applies and testing is very tight. We have many boats here with straight pipes and 350CI engines and none of them are in violation of the 90 decibel law. Yes they seem loud until you pull up to a 454 or a 502 with straight exhausts and then you know the difference.If tested you should be in the 82-87 range, perfectly legal. Go out and raise some legal hell and have some fun.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

Sam
03-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by FASTEDDIE:
Sam
As you may know we have the Federal decibel Law throughout the country and many states have adopted the federal guidelines rather then recreate their own requirements.Here at Lake George in New York State, the federal laws applies and testing is very tight. We have many boats here with straight pipes and 350CI engines and none of them are in violation of the 90 decibel law. Yes they seem loud until you pull up to a 454 or a 502 with straight exhausts and then you know the difference.If tested you should be in the 82-87 range, perfectly legal. Go out and raise some legal hell and have some fun.

Sam
03-08-2001, 07:52 PM
Sorry about that reply Ed or should I say the lack there of, I got a bit distracted. Well anyway that's good news about your experience in N.Y. I'll have to wait 3-4 weeks before I can get near the water. I called the local Sheriffs department ( Marine Div) they said just give them a shout and they would be glad to test it. By the way the rub out job looks great. It took a bit longer than I thought but it was worth the effort.

Sam

GeneD
03-08-2001, 08:04 PM
Eddie,
"Federal Decibel Law"??????
Where, when, and how do they (the Feds) enforce this?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

FASTEDDIE
03-08-2001, 08:45 PM
The federal decibel law was passed to give each boat manufacturer a guideline on decibel levels allowed during the manufacturing process. Since boat manufacturers ship to all 50 states they needed guidelines to use so there was a uniformity in acceptable noise levels.Otherwise each state would have a seperate acceptable noise restriction and boat manufacturers would build 50 different exhaust systems for each model. Detroit already had the problem of California emission laws on automobiles different from all the other states and they didn't want the same thing to happen on the noise laws for boats.So most of the states elected to use federal quidelines on boat decibel laws or else spend millions of dollars on testing and writing there own set of rules.The easy way out was use the federal laws.
Currently all states are using Federal guidelines but allowing any governing bodies on the waterways to tighten up to the laws they feel work for them. Connectcit and New Hampshire have elected to lower even the federal levels and are enforced lower decibel limits. It seems on the open oceans your on your own. Local lakes and internal waterways in these areas must comply or you are subject to boat impoundment, ticketing and or fines set by local authorities.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

Bryan Tuvell
03-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Great topic... I talked to FastEddie about the same thing, we had planned to visit the lake this July. I will say he is right about we make less DB than a BB engine.
Have it checked... That is a super idea, I think I will just for knowledge.
The one thing FastEddie did say was if you get a ticket you have a week to fix it, on my family vacations we usually leave on day 6 or 7...
So price of an exhaust mod or pay a ticket?
AND WHERE DO I MAKE THIS CHECK OUT TO OFFICER? Much cheaper and how often do you think you'll get a ticket?
As always, my 2 cents.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
03-08-2001, 09:03 PM
Freddie you are amis. the California emissions is state and is not controled by the feds. I work for Auto maker. The fed standard is one thing the state is another. The state of New jersey also has a different standard than the fed as does Georga. thoes stated also have different noise standards. there is also a standard for high altitude auto. The point being that is just a suggestion not a mandate. The california problen was their standard was lower then fed in the late 1980's. The fed standards got lower and California stayed the same. This I know because I use to take cars to CARB for cirtification when I worked in California

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 03-08-2001).]

GEOO
03-09-2001, 06:21 AM
GeneD,
Don't worry; I'm sure you'll be one of the first to know, when Fla. starts enforcing the Noise Laws. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif GEOO

Scott Pearson
03-09-2001, 06:47 AM
Hummm....What do you think a Blown, Injected Small block with Pete Jackson Timing gears, and 5 inch through Hulls will sound like????? Ohhh yea...also Ported and Polished Bow tie heads with 205 intake valves.

(NJ)Scott

GeneD
03-09-2001, 07:54 AM
Okay, I am beginning to see the picture now.
Federal Guidelines.
When Eddie said the Feds had a LAW! This freaked me out. I wouldn't think the Govt would make a law that would basically be unenforceable. And also, this "guideline" (let's call it) is for NEW boats. Surely old cars are not subject to the new emission "guidelines" or laws?
I know my Corvette is not.
Old boats HAVE to have an exemption.
However, I would think that the states have the power to restrict your noise levels.
This makes sense.
And in no way I am saying that there is no noise restrictions in FLA. I am not aware of any, for one. And two, if there is, they are not enforcing it in my area.
Likewise, speed limits. In my area, speed is unrestricted in the channel unless posted. And normally, this posting is limited to areas outside the Intracoastal Waterway.
In fact, to deter from the subject for a second, there was a meeting recently in FLA concerning Manatee Zones. Of course they want to increase the areas of existing Manatee Zones, and form some more.
Over 1400 people showed up to protest.
The motion was squashed.
I prefer my Manatee charbroiled, sliced and diced!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Bryan Tuvell
03-09-2001, 04:10 PM
Scott, I would answer your question as "AWESOME" and maybe a bit loud!
That would be a sweet sound I think, hell the police would probably let you off for a ride in such an awesome boat!!
Bryan

BigGrizzly
03-09-2001, 09:08 PM
Bryan, Your dreaming again. They enforce that rule on this lake on some boats when they havn't got anyone else to chew on. Garry Grimes got nailed last summer, and so did Jim Clark (the owner of Python boats) with their blown big blocks. I'm a little worried about my big block. However during the poker run they look at safe boating not exhaust

Randy

Bryan Tuvell
03-10-2001, 03:56 PM
Randy, I was teasing above http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif and yes I am a dreamer in life, that is why I have so much fun I guess, most of my dreams have became reality, I am very fortunate.

My SB Chevy is around 87-90 according to Merc. I won't worry either way anywhere, I am always ready for a safety inspection too, new stuff every year.

My point was only that it might be cheaper to pay one ticket than buy an exhaust system for one or two particular lake visits a year.

I apologize if my post came off and left the wrong impression about noise restrictions.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
03-10-2001, 08:01 PM
You did not leave the wrong impression. Just trying to drive the safty and don't push the point with the marine police.
As for the dreaming never stop. Dreaming has gotten me to more reality than you would beleive. All good ideas start as dreams. With some work, drive and luck they become reality. Hope there was no offence taken

Randy

Bryan Tuvell
03-10-2001, 08:08 PM
Randy, Great points! I agree.
And thanks for the email I just replied.
I love this site and I cannot imagine winter without it.
I will dream for a great boating year tonight... It was warm in Va today so I did some work on the boat.

ACTUALLY I trying to figure out how to mount a spare tire! The is no room my the winch!

Ideas? Bryan

Blewbyu
03-15-2001, 10:37 PM
Most western waterways rather loosely enforce the noise laws(GENERALLY speaking),and won't write you unless you have really pissed off a particular resident(or Marine Patrol Officer) with multiple WOT passes 300 ft off his/her dock or other irresponsible stuff like firing up yer BB at 0445.
Remember not to fire up DRY when your pipes are facing the Sheriffs boat right behind you,'cause even the high-comp small blocks BARK when they fire dry,and don't quiet down 'till the water gets to the tailpipes.Best to fire up with the stern out towards open water too,so as not to upset the sailboaters at the dock.They are usually fragile near Donzi boats,and they don't hesitate to offer their (jaded) opinions re: your gorgeous polished stainless tubes that seem to be blessed with excessive "basso-profundo".Tailwalking out of the launch area usually fails to impress most other boaters either-the PWC guys usually reserve that trick for themselves.If one conducts ones boat operation in a SAFE manner,usually the decibles will be excused (for the day at least) unless they are truly excessive.

Blewbyu
03-15-2001, 10:49 PM
One other note:In most states-boats decibel levels are exempt in organized,sanctioned racing activities,and in manufactures/dealers testing.Look on the web under "USGG boating safety"-you can find the law for your own state.