PDA

View Full Version : Tygart Lake, West Virginia

Craig
07-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Any DONZI's there?? "MIGHT" be going there this week-end.

Jake
07-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Where is Tygart lake? We got to Sutton lake and Summersville lake a couple of times a year they are off of 79. Are you ever around there or been there? We are going to try Stonewall Jackson Lake also.

Craig
07-12-2002, 07:24 AM
Tygart is at Grafton WVA ; about 12 mi.(+-) south of Fairmont WVA. Looks comparably sized to Deep Creek (Western MD). Perhaps a bit smaller. We considered Stonewall Jackson for this weekend. Other family is going to be in the vicinity so we thought we'd take the boat to a nearby lake and after a little checking, decided on Tygart. One thing interesting about Stonewall Jackson Lake I noticed was it said approx. 40% of it is "no wake" zone. A lot of shallow area and therefore great for fishing. I'm a little leary of "lots of shallow area" water bodies since I only have one prop now for the old Volvo 270. I've heard Summerville is real nice. Sutton I just saw on the map. Was further south than I wanted to go. Took the boat to Deep Creek last night. Hate to admit it, but it was my first time out this year. Everything ran good. I'll report back on Tygart lake. Hopefully it will be nice. Thank heaven for the Corps of Engineers for all of us folks not close to an ocean, bay or Great Lake. Without them, we wouldn't be boaters! They (the Corps) planned to put a nice big lake like 15 minutes from where I live (Allegany County, MD) like 30 yrs ago, but never did. Some private outfit pushed to re-consider the idea a year or two ago, but the environmental regulators shot the idea down in pretty short order. It would have been nice to be that close to a lake. Closest is about 35 minute away now. Another small Corps dam (Jennings Randolph) Oh well. Thats what they make trailers for.

Jake
07-12-2002, 05:14 PM
That's good to know about Stonewall Jackson. Let me know what you think of Tygart. I would like to try anywhere around there. Sutton lake is small but no one is there and it's pretty much deep all around. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Tygart.

Jake :)

Craig
07-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Jake,
Tygart was nice. Like you said re: Sutton, not many people there, but then it was kind of drizzling all day. Still we had planned to ski so no people was good. My wife enjoyed pulling me skiing in the rain with contact lenses, no roof and no windshield! Didn't stay too long, but I'd go back. A girl there told us Stonewall was real nice and the "no-wake" areas are at each end so not reall a problem after all. Tygart would have been nicer if the weather was better.
Didn't see any Donzi's at the dock, BUT I did see a Glastron with the name 007 on the back. Uh oh! I guess they were on some Bond movies too, but I figured Donzi's had unofficial exclusive rights to use of that name!

Jake
07-16-2002, 12:43 PM
That's good to hear. Was it a big place. We are always looking for new places to go. Thanks for the info.

Craig
07-17-2002, 10:39 AM
It seemed to be pretty good size. I think a couple thousand acres (don't laugh you guys that play in the ocean!). Like I said, I'd go there again. Didn't get to see all of it since it rained Sat. and we cut our day short. Also had a starting problem (i.e. boat wouldn't start once after skiing, then after a while it fired). Made me nervous about staying since there weren't many boats around. I think I just need some new battery wires. The ones I have are old and the ends are not sealed at the battery side. I think the moisture works on them and causes this to happen once and a while. If I clean them up they work good for a season, then the same thing happens. Anyway, I'd like to go again and check it out more. One thing bugged me. The road signs of the surrounding area weren't the greatest. Had a little trouble getting there. And they are pretty windy too. Otherwise, worth the trip!