PDA

View Full Version : Bump Rails

sappark@aol.com
03-08-2001, 05:58 PM
Hello, I recently purchased Paul O.'s 1973 classic 18. I want to replace the bump rails and am looking for some insight. If any of you out there have don this please let me know.

GeneD
03-08-2001, 06:01 PM
They are called gunwale molding.
Check out your local marine joint's catalog. There should be a mess of them to choose from.
The older alum "J" moldings are still available.
I used the newer style with the PVC and stainless insert.
Very affordable and effective.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

sappark@aol.com
03-08-2001, 07:07 PM
Thanks Gene,
I check around today with a lot of aluminum extruders in my area. Most of which said that they could not do them or it was proprietary. How does the the alternative look? I would like to stay with a similar vintage look.
Andrew

FASTEDDIE
03-08-2001, 07:41 PM
I did my 18 over with the new insert in the stainless steel and it looked great.With the old design everytime you bumped something ,it scratched the aluminum. With the new vinyl insert, there is no scratches.
It is a very hard job and the secret is the layout so the vinyl seams and the stainless screw holes don't wind up on top of the screws holding the top of the boat on.The bend on the nose is a killer so you might want some experienced helper.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

boldts
03-08-2001, 07:41 PM
Sappark,
Check this company out. They were the original supplier for Donzi boats. They offer both the newer style that GeneD mentioned and the original aluminum style for your boat. They also make a stainless rail that is made like what is presently on the boat. Stainless is not as easy to form to the hull as the aluminum is, but can be done and looks great. I have plans to do the rub rails on my boat, but I'm not going to be able to do it this year.
www.tacometals.com (http://www.tacometals.com)

Scott Boldt

GeneD
03-08-2001, 08:10 PM
Ahhh...and the trick to getting the bow and corners to contour perfectly is to use a heat gun!
Trick taught to me by the main gumwale molding installer at Sea Ray. Super easy.
And use a block of wood at the corners to form the soft plastic underneath, otherwise, it will bend funky and stick out (down).

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

DonziDave
03-08-2001, 09:29 PM
West Marine carries the Taco Metals "j" rail that "Bolts" mentioned. Replaced mine a couple of years ago. Looks great!!
Dave

sappark@aol.com
03-08-2001, 10:37 PM
Thanks Guys,
I just bought this boat from Paul O. and I'm looking forward to spring. thanks for all of you input and I will probably have more questions, being I'm the rookie.