PDA

View Full Version : sea-strainer for merc502 upgrade?

fasttrucker
07-11-2002, 09:58 AM
upgrades almost finished on my 28zx 502 mag. wink stainless marine exhast,k+n flame/erster intake are installed waiting on az speed shop to ship the new programed computer.should be ready to test new props in two weeks.master mech. says that iam mixing air in my water cooling system. he says he will plug the upper holes in my sterndrive and put in a sea strainer, that will keep the air from getting into my motor.ive never used one before anyone ever use one? :confused:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-11-2002, 10:04 AM
FAST, sounds exciting...
The strainer, make sure he put a water shut of valve in. Bob just put a new Laythem strainer in his 26ZX, looks very nice.

There is as much controversy of over strainers as there is brands of boats. Our Merc mechanic said it was a waste of my money on a 502, yet many here recommend it. I have seen some of my friends pull a bunch of seaweed out of theirs, so I know they work, we have never had an issue without one yet.

What does the ECU reprogram consist of? What was the goal? Rev Limiter change or what?

Good luck and post some photos when you get her back.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
07-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Bryan so far I am glad I have the strainer, The NJPPC Poker run water was lower then normal sucked up the bottom of the bay 3 times. To guys one had a baja and he had nothing overheated and was out of the run. I told my wife that was the best damn thing she got me for the boat. I have a Rex Marine sea strainer with the easy remove top. :D

fasttrucker
07-11-2002, 06:54 PM
hey yea,cant wait till next run. :cool: bryan,when i changed the exhaust master meach tony,said i need to change the computer or i would burn the valves in the motor.i think that it will let the motor run faster as mercury runs the motors too rich.iam not too sure about this but another motor head said this is the the 1st step,change the exhaust+reprogam the ecu.as far as the sea strainer,tony said donzi in 1998 didnt know to put a low pickup lower unit,outdrive,on my boat as step hulls were a new thing. :confused: so he is concerned about air in the cooling system not about sea weed,like shanghied mentioned.he wants to close up the upper holes in the drive and add a sea strainer to keep air out of the cooling system.i bought a new nikon camera so i will take lots of pictures to post,too bad my wife+i are in our middle 40s,i cant match those hot donzi girl pictures. :rolleyes:

Donzigo
07-12-2002, 09:22 PM
I put a GILL sea strainer on my Z-25 last year and when I bought the Z-33 inOctober, it's the first thing I did was put two new GILL sea strainers on it from Gaffrig. I will never have a boat without sea strainers again. This past weekend, in we went down to Sarasota to see the boat races. There was mucho sea grass in the water in tampa bay. I tried to avoid it, but it was everywhere. When I returned home, the sea strainer had done it's job. Boo-Koo grass taken out.

Be sure to put a shut off valve on it.

MOP
07-12-2002, 09:39 PM
My 2 cents! put a vacuum gauge or adjustable vacuum switch to buzzer inline after the strainer. You will thank yourself one day.