PDA

View Full Version : Researching a new addition?

James Adcock
07-10-2002, 07:41 PM
Hello out there. I've been biten by "Donzitus" as it's been refered to here. Soooo,I've been doin' some research,watching and reading the board here and info abroad and would like to know if I can pick at your minds some,(well, actually a lot).
For starters,I would prefer a BB for the added torque and/or grunt,or am I misleading myself? I am assuming that leaves me with a choice of a
22(?). Also, There are five of us, so I'm assuming a 22 would have a little larger interior.Y/N? I also like speed, but I have to make that secondary(only slightly). Regardless of what I actually end up buying I am curious as to the advertised prices of Donzi's period as a whole. I look at the prices and most are no where near blue book value.Is this common? Especially for the older boats? I mean,are they really worth what most people ask or is it a matter of, If you want it and like it, you'll buy it no matter what? Supply and demand? I realize the blue book does not take into account a major refit or overhaul,perpetual care,etc...Example,The blue book does not mention about a boat being outfitted with a 502 BB and a Blackhawk drive.I understand there wasn't a lot of them made,but are they that special? Are other engines and drives equivalent? Or is it a case of "I gotta' have one",so you buy it? Afterall, you can buy a similar drive and install it(dictating how much money you have,of course). I guess what I'm asking is how does one know when they have found a decent boat at a fair price? Does that conclusion come with a lot of searching and comparing? Wants? Monies? Luck? Someone wanting to be a good guy or their misfortune? I know right in the dead of summer prices tend to be higher. I happen to like motorcycles and see that trend all the time. Have for years.I'm not particulary in a hurry to have it immediately,but would be nice.I plan on buying sometime after August(I'll have the monies then).Being ready next spring will be fine with me(maybe get to use it this fall). Second,I am also curious about their engine options.I know I said I prefer a BB motor, but I'm not against a SB either.I look at them all. Looking in the blue book most engines specs appear to be the smallest the factory offered(?). Right/wrong? I've seen some 16's with SB's as well as 4.3's.What size SB's are common in the 16's? 302's,305's 350's..? All the 18's I've read about or looked at have had SB motors. The 22's can come with SB's and BB's,correct? Sorry if I seem long winded. I am sometimes.Thanks for letting me post here and ask.By the way. I can handle critisizem for being a newbe.
Thanks again,Rooster( I mean Jamie)
Only the tip of the question iceberg.
Keep the shiny side up!

Woodsy
07-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Jamie...

Welcome... all of the Donzi questions will be answered here.. these guys rule!!

You did not say what model Donzi you like. The 22 Classics almost always comes with a BBC, usually a 454MAG (385HP) or 502MAG (415HP). The difference on the top end is only one or two mph in ideal conditions. You usually pay $1K or $2K more for a 502 equipped boat. Don't know if this is worth it to you or not. The BlackHawk boats are as whole not worth what people pay for them in my opinion. There is one for sale up here on Winni, relatively beat, needs to be wetsanded, etc.. and they are asking $30K. Another guy up here just bought a MINT '97 22 classic 454MAG for $24K. I don't think the BlackHawk boat is worth the extra $$. Of course, I do love the BlackHawk drive, and am currently upgrading my '97 22 Classic with one. I will have some test results next year as the whole package comes together.

The 22 Classics are not the most comfortable boat for 5 people constantly. Maybe you should look at a ZX?

Definitely take your time and find the boat you like!

Woodsy :D :D

Stix Magill
07-10-2002, 08:47 PM
I agree with Woodsy about the size of the boat. I have a Minx and it seats five like the 22. I would not recommend it for a family of 5. With 2 or 3 occupants it rocks, but I actually dread putting 5 people in my boat. Think of the 22 and smaller as sports cars, not a SUVs. Luckily, there are some excellent Donzis that will fit the bill. Checkout the ZX series and the older Z series and Black Widows. Click on the "model List" at the top of the page for pics.

Worry about the power package later.

My 2 cents......

James Adcock
07-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks for takin' time to respond. Five people would be crowded,huh? Thats the max here and most likely not the norm. Always been a Classic fan. Kicking myself for not buying a new Minx years ago. Started to, then the first of three showed up.So, Here I am a few years later,but better late than never! Keeping my options open while shoppin'. I am fairly good with mechanics in general,so working on most of my own stuff if not a problem. Question.I have seen plenty of older boats for sale,but a big concern (to me)is the fuel tank and it's location. Apparently they are not easily replaced.What is the average life span of a fuel tank? Splitting the deck from the hull seems like a BIG undertaking.Is that the only way to replace one?Seems to me if the tank is questionable that alone would make a big difference in price.You are correct that I should worry about the mill later.Just don't want to have to replace one right away if I were to purchase an older boat.I like the ZX's, but LOVE the classic's!Can't help it!

Extreme Measures
07-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Good luck James on your hunt for the Donzi.I have a blackwidow and the boat has been a great boat.My blackwidow is 30' but they do come in smaller sizes like 24'
:cool: Extreme Measures :cool:

Stix Magill
07-10-2002, 11:27 PM
A tank replacement is not fun, but neither is repowering (OK, maybe fun, but not cheap). If you want a turnkey boat, buy a turnkey boat. If I had had the funds, I would have bought a cleaner and bigger boat. But you know, I bet a lot of people would say the same thing. Decide what you really want and what you budget is and go from there.

MOP
07-11-2002, 05:58 AM
No matter which one you end up with you should be very pleased, I run a 16 with a 302 but my favorite is the 18 with a 383 SB w/dual quads, Crower roller and 4inch tunes out the back. My buddie had that setup it put the widest smile I ever had along with tears and flappy cheeks. It had what I call G Force!

James Adcock
07-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Stix, You said if I want a turn key to buy a turn key.I realize that a buyer should always be aware of what they purchase,especially a used large purchase like a boat,car, bike, whatever.Is it safer to assume(don't like the word!)that a newer or "extensively" reconditioned boat would be a better candidate to qualify as a turn key? What are some key items/areas to look for or at? IMHO all manufacturers can produce a less than desireable product,part or combination of things. Are there any items that should be avoided or at least heavily scrutinized like certain engines, drives,etc..? No, It would not be fun spend the extra $ for a nicer boat only to have it cost you more later.Yes,You are always taking a chance when you buy used,but a little extra knowlage never hurts.Then again a new one can be purchased and still break. Yes, you have a warrantee, but they still cost you. Woodsy,ExTr and M.O.P., Thanks for helping out.
And Stix,It's Friday(at least where I'm working at) Thanks, Jamie

harbormaster
07-12-2002, 08:22 AM
My 2 cents.
When I was boat shopping I decided to go with a later model stock boat. Why? When I have a problem, there is something to be said for going to the parts house and telling them what boat and drive train you have and having them hand you the part. That is truly turnkey.

I looked at purchasing an earlier boat that had been redone, but if I ever had problems I would have to second guess what the person who had "repowered/built the motor" had done.

Cuda
07-12-2002, 09:45 PM
This looks like a good buy on a 24 Black Widow. It will seat your five comfortably, and give you a cuddy also.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/6/29355356.htm

I've always thought they are sharp, unique looking boats. This is what I was looking for last month, 24 foot performance boat with single BB. I ended up with a Formula 242 LS, twin SBC. There aren't a whole lot of Black Widows out there. I like having a boat that isn't like everyone elses. Hell, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Baja Outlaw. :)

James Adcock
07-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Never cared for a Baja. Only experience I have with a Baja was a buddies boat.Do you know how fast a mid engine ski boat can stop at WOT when the prop shaft coupling lets go? The prop shaft slides through the packing gland and the prop acts like a parachute ONCE the coupling gets to the gland.To answer my question for you, DAMN FAST !!!

Staffan Berg
07-13-2002, 03:00 PM
James - you said it already.
You want a 22 Classic.
By a 22 Classic and you want regret it.
Avoid the OMC stern drive. I have had a lot of problems with mine. (the gear)

Good luck and have fun.