PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lanier Poker Run

GEOO
03-05-2001, 09:00 PM
Is anyone interested in going to the Lake Lanier Poker Run? http://www.lanierharbor.com/ I was thinking of a road trip?

Big Griz. Have you participated?
Maybe we can get the Florida gang and some others, for a large get together in August? GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 03-06-2001).]

BigGrizzly
03-05-2001, 09:46 PM
I never particpated, but Tom has. I will be on the lake thoe. Rember what I told you. the offer is still there.

Randy

PaulO
03-06-2001, 09:55 AM
Where is Lake Lanier?

GEOO
03-06-2001, 11:43 AM
Scott, When in doubt blame it on GEOO??
Thanks!!
PaulO, It's in Georgia.

I need to visit my Grandparents in Florida. They want to meet my newest addition.
HUM!! Scenario,,,, " Honey let's stop in Georgia's on the way, some Donzi guys are getting together, may be we should bring the boat? IT'S SCOTT'S IDEA.." GEOO

boldts
03-06-2001, 01:18 PM
Hey Geoo. I had those very thoughts going on with my wife. We have a trip to Myrtle Beach planned in August. Have a stop planned in Charlotte, why not take the round about way through GA to get to the shore?

Scott Boldt

roadtrip
03-06-2001, 01:25 PM
ROADTRIP! Could be a player. What are the dates? Accomondations? Todd

BigGrizzly
03-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Tom looks like we may have company. Just remember to duck when any wife reaches for her purse.
Just so you know, there are over 22 100+mph boats on this lake. One of the fastes engine builders I know lives here, and loves boating.

Randy

Dr. Dan
03-06-2001, 09:33 PM
Hey guys, I definitely would consider coming down for this, the area looks beautiful. I don't know how my 22 would stack up against 100mph cruisers. But if we could get enough of a Donzi presence I think it would be a great time! ...Doc

Tom on Lanier
03-06-2001, 09:50 PM
It's kind of a neat deal but different from other Poker runs. It's a combination poker run, time/distance contest and a costume contest. It is held toward the end of August. I'll confirm dates and let y'all know. The time/distance portion is based upon the speed assigned to three classes of boats. Pontoon is 10 mph, Cruiser Class is 20 mph and the Speed Boat class is 40 mph. You choose your class and try to averege that speed over a course. Takes about four hours. There were over 200 boats last year with a whole bunch of pontoons and cruisers.I was 7th out of about 70 "cruisers a couple years ago BD. (Before Donzi)
Lots of motels in the area but if you want to be on the water, you have to stay at my house or Randy's or Joe P's.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

roadtrip
03-06-2001, 09:55 PM
Dr. Dan,
I had one of those 100mph cruisers up until a year or two ago. Did the poker run thing, the largest one being up in the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence. Funny thing, with all of that power, testosterone, and machinery; stuff breaks. Visualize one of us in a Classic towing in a DNF Cigarette, Outerlimits, Fountain, or other fire breather. Most important thing is to keep from getting run over. Typically, they run multiple classes and starts for similar boats to make the run fun and safe for everyone. This trip could be a nice, late summer follow up to our Cumberland get together whether we participate in the run or not... Todd

boxy
03-07-2001, 07:45 AM
RoadTrip, when were you in my neck of the woods, I haven't missed a Poker Run in the 1000 Islands since they started. We used to run a marshall boat, but now we just cruise the Marina in the morning, and throw a hook outside of Alexandria Bay in the afternoon. What did your Fountain look like ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

roadtrip
03-07-2001, 03:46 PM
Hey boxy,
I ran in the poker run in 97 and 98. First year in my dealer's boat, a 38 with a red, black, and silver custom indy paint job. Second year in a 32 with blue, yellow, and black in a daytona paint job. Boat had a faring that said fountain and was named Lucky Dog. 800SC motors. We actually finished that day, something we rarely did in the old unlucky dog. Moved on to better things now.... todd

BigGrizzly
03-07-2001, 07:06 PM
Here is the formula. Too much boost X too many rpms X too much heat = big time toast.
This is if your outdrive will stand that many ponies. A Bravo1 won't for long.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 03-07-2001).]

CDMA
03-07-2001, 08:14 PM
Big G,

I have a question for you regarding drive strength. I have no doubt that the trs will take it but after looking into transmissions for the Arneson they seem like the weak link. How do you think the merc trans will fair behind your new monster?

Chris

Tom on Lanier
03-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Lake Lanier Poker Run this year will be Saturday, August 18 begining at 9:00AM, at the dam. Talked to organizer today, Lanier Harbor Marina, at 770 945 2884. Entry fee is $65. Last year they had 293 boats! There is a web site for this event at ThePokerRun.com.The man is, Lanier Harbor owner, Barkley Geib. You can register on line if you wish.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Dr. Dan
03-07-2001, 10:28 PM
Tom, very cool, thanks. I'll be checking it out, I've never participated in a poker run, but the pictures always look like a good time is had by all. I'll have to start screening for some "Donzi" eye candy to decorate my 22! I have a friend who is a fitness model and of course my beautiful co-pilot.

Tom on Lanier
03-08-2001, 05:20 AM
Dr.Dan , bring your co-pilot (and your boat) and meet us at Lake Cumberland, KY in May for "AOTH". Now that is going to be a good time! All brothers and sisters of kindred spirit. And about half the distance for you.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

boxy
03-08-2001, 08:07 AM
Roadtrip, I'm sure I've looked at the boats you were in, I was at the Gananoque Marina/Beer Garden on the Friday night, and cruising through the wet pits in our CC in both '97 and '98.
Here are a couple of sites with older pictures, they are the greatest resolution, but maybe you could pick out your boat.

1000 Islands Poker Run Pics 1 (http://www.1000islandsinfo.com/pokerrun/pictures.htm)
1000 Islands Poker Run Pics 2 (http://www.gananoque.com/pokerrun/pokerrun.htm)

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

[This message has been edited by boxy (edited 03-08-2001).]

essdee
05-25-2001, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by PaulO:
Where is Lake Lanier?

It is about 30-35 miles North of Atlanta in Gwinnett County. Pretty good sized lake.