PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Paints

Ralph Savarese
03-05-2001, 08:35 PM
Has any one here had any experience with Sterling paints specifically the roll on application. I was considering doing my boat with that . I hear it comes out looking like it was sprayed

Len
03-05-2001, 10:13 PM
Surely Scott Pearson can shed sonme light on this topic. (PPG) Is he listening?

Scott Pearson
03-06-2001, 06:37 AM
Len,Ralph,
I'm here...been real busy trying to get my boat done. I check the page at least once a day. Any hooooo....I have never seen Sterling paints sorry. I have heard that they roll on nice. But..."What is nice?" My nice might be different then someone elses nice. I just cant see something that rolls on being that "NICE". Woooo...thats a twister...say that 5 times fast.

This is my 2 cents...For what its worth.

Try a test panal first...Then go fron there. But remember that a panal is different then doing a whole boat. I just cant see keeping a wet edge on a large area. And if it does stay wet long enuff...What about dirt?

(NJ)Scott

Ralph Savarese
03-06-2001, 10:03 AM
Scott i am just looking for info. from people who have done it.I am limited two not being able to spray at home.
Thanks
Ralph

Bryan Tuvell
03-06-2001, 12:37 PM
My POWERBOAT Reports consumer resource came today (March Vol 14 #3), it has a big review on paints. I haven't checked to see if it is free online, www.powerboats-reports.com (http://www.powerboats-reports.com) if not I could fax you the 3 pages.
Good luck.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
03-06-2001, 12:39 PM
CORRECTION ON THE LINK...
www.powerboat-reports.com (http://www.powerboat-reports.com)

Bryan

Ralph Savarese
03-06-2001, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your help but all i see is the article on bottom paints this is a linear polyeurethane
Thanks
Ralph

Blewbyu
03-08-2001, 07:10 PM
Ralph-My boat has Sterling,and it's gorgeous.White deck is like glass,deep lustre,as does center stripe.Hull is black and was rolled for base coat and sprayed while wet to even it.Looks like a perfect spray job-but has slightly less gloss than the deck.Painter said he used a high quality,very short knap roller (as he recalls).It is 10 years old this year-and looks just like new!!!This stuff is much tougher to chip,and more scuff resistant than gelcoat!Far superior to Imron,probably most like Awlgrip.

lou
03-11-2001, 07:19 AM
Ralph ; The trick is to roll and tip, first you roll on the paint with a very short nap roller then you brush over it with a badger hair brush. I have seen sterling paint that has been rolled and tipped and can assure you that it is a spray like finish but thicker. This is the way they do all the mega Yachts, Tito , who is a member here , can tell you more. Or you can go to any marine supplier and pick up an Interlux brochure that will tell you how to roll & tip , then just buy sterling brand paint. If the carry awlgrip they will carry or order Sterling for you. Int he mean time check out the sterling web site : http://www.sterlingpaints.com/

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 03-11-2001).]

Ralph Savarese
03-11-2001, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the responce. If the roll and tip will come out like a spray job then I just might do it. I am going to try it on the hull first in white . If that turns out good then I will roll and tip the yellow deck

johnzi
03-11-2001, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Savarese:
Has any one here had any experience with Sterling paints specifically the roll on application. I was considering doing my boat with that . I hear it comes out looking like it was sprayed
when doing the roll and tip method make sure your paint reducer is for rolled applications. and all you awlgrip and imron fans should know that those paints were great in there day but ppg concept is far superior in terms of gloss/durability(boy that imron chips!) most of the marinas in my town are switching over. it is much easier to buff and is not as brittle as the other. hey calculators were cool 25 years ago but look at them now. the same is true with the paint.

------------------

Ralph Savarese
03-12-2001, 09:08 PM
PPG makes a paint that can be roll and tipped
has anyone out there done Sterling roll and tip top coat . What was the result? I am doing the Sterling primer in a roll and tip just so I can get the surface smoother to prepaire it for paint at this point.

Scott Pearson
03-13-2001, 07:17 AM
Ralph,
We (PPG) Do not make a paint that can be Rolled and Tipped. If you do so it will peel off. Our paint needs in air loss of solvents. They need to be sprayed.

(NJ)Scott