PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Install Advice

RH
07-10-2002, 03:43 PM
I am planning on installing a nice stereo system in my Hornet and am wanting to do a "clean" install. What I mean is that I do not want to cut speakers into the cockpit sides. That leaves the front seat bottom as the only place to install them. I am looking for ideas for the radio as well. I am having a new interior made for it after this season is over and thought that it would be a great time to install the stereo system. I need some ideas on the radio install as well. Any thoughts, comments and smart remarks are welcome!
RH

MXRoadster
07-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Well for a clean install for the radio you could make a new dash panel and mount the radio in the dash. Here’s what mine looks like. Hornet dash (http://www.donzi.net/photos/dmadsenhornetdash01.jpg)

As for mounting the speakers below the seat(I'm assuming you have a bench for the front seat) you may have to use some pretty small speakers to fit, and then you will need to protect the back of them from when you put stuff under the bench otherwise it should work fine. As for me, I don’t have a problem cutting holes in the boat for speakers (its just fiberglass :rolleyes: ).

David

DonRatto
07-11-2002, 12:12 PM
I put a Stero in my fathers boat, best stereo right now on the market is Clarion, they also make waterproof speakers, I think in 120 watt outputs real nice, I put a amp in and the stereo is load real load, I wouldn't put the speakers under the seats could get kicked and damaged, I would put them in the sides. If not have a Install place do it, usually the have all the tools and do it right, plus they sometimes have programs that allow you to take the Stereo out if you sell the boat and put it in to the next one.

RH
07-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the imput! I am going to take out the interior this winter to be replaced and will get really serious then. My brother from South Carolina was her for the 4th and we were having that discussion. MX can you send me some pictures of you Hornet? Mine is a 72, so it has the glass dash and sides. The front bench seat has the fully upholstered back instead of the plastic insert lik yours.
RH

MXRoadster
07-12-2002, 02:49 AM
RH, I have some pictures in the registry under David Madsen, let me know what else you would like to see and I’ll get them to you.

David