PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if ?

Bryan Tuvell
06-29-2001, 11:32 AM
I snagged a crap pot just above idle speed last weekend, no internal damage, boat runs fine, I have triple checked the fluid etc, no performance loss.

Any way the bottom unit is scratched up bad just forward of the prop, (alpha gen II) top unit has a 1" by 1/4" chip out of the forward fin. My mechanic said it is to much hassle to just buy a new case and hard to transfer all the stuff (labor wise etc).
State Farm is willing to stroke me a check based on the fact that it was a new drive a month ago which was just over $ 5K including 4 hours labor. Some friends say have it documented and quit worrying about it, some say pocket the money, some say transfer the guts, some say buy a whole new unit at the end of the season, which is when I would have it done anyway, when I winterize.
I prefer to do the right and honest thing and have it repaired whichever way at the end of the season, is it fact that the drive may never be right if I just transfer guts to a new top and bottom case?
Just curious.
Thanks. Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 06-29-2001).]

mikev
06-29-2001, 01:52 PM
I would paint the drive put a $99.00 SS skeg guard on it and pocket the cash. I have yet to see an outdrive that didnt have some dings in it part of boating.

jaroot
06-29-2001, 02:03 PM
when i was a mechanic at a marina for a few years i experienced people who literally tore their whole skeg off on some of the western lake erie shallows. We'd tear it down and had a local guy who would weld a new skeg on and you'd never be able to tell. we would indicate shafts and backlash and housings to make sure there was no warpage and never encountered a problem... i was amazed... the work was done somewhere in Toledo, Ohio i don't rightly recall the company. Also had some pretty good chips and dings repaired by them...

Bryan Tuvell
06-29-2001, 02:22 PM
Skeg is totally unharmed, the bottom unit scratching/a few gouges is just forward of the prop where it turned a few revelutions with the pot hanging from my drive.

When I refered to the fin I meant the one on the top unit that goes all the way around the drive, decavition fin/lip.
Thanks, Bryan

Forrest
06-29-2001, 02:41 PM
Bryan, have it welded, pull all of that guy's crab pots, and then have a crab fest! Use the extra insurance money for beer.

BTW Bryan, I'm going to try to get up to VB in August if I can. I'll probably bring the X-18. I have an old buddy on 81st and Oceanfront, as well as a few other people in at the Beach and in Norfolk that I need to pay a visit. The Magnum will have to wait for a new tow vehicle to go that distance though. Maybe next year.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 06-29-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
06-29-2001, 03:38 PM
FORREST, well, if you need a place to keep the boat, rest, eat like a king, well, our doors are open. ROADTRIP payed a visit last month, guess he is my only reference! But I would venture to say he had a great time.
My home info is on the Midwest Donzi site, call me. Keep me posted on the dates... I never did get around to calling your friend. Maybe I will meet him during your visit.
The chip is not even visable, unless you look for it, it is the front of the top unit. I may just have state farm document it and have it done this winter. I just hate to open the seal on a brand new unit for cosmetics....
HEY, there is a poker run here on 11 August! $60 and that includes a food and party throw down afterwards, it is for the Cancer Society. Info is on the Poker Run America site.
Look forward to seeing ya.
UPDATE, State Farms independant surveyor from North Carolina is coming by Tuesday, on the phone he recommends a new out drive vice swapping parts.... more Tuesday evening.
Bryan

roadtrip2
06-29-2001, 11:46 PM
Hey Bryan,
If it were me, I would fix it with new parts. If there is someone who is more anal about their boat than me, it's Tuvell. Dustbuster boy!!!!
I can vouch for the Tuvell hospitaly. Great steaks and family unit. I will be back to VA Beach in July. I will look you up then. say hi to the Misus. Todd

Bryan Tuvell
06-30-2001, 02:38 AM
ROADTRIP, you have an open invitation, anytime... try to bring your BETTER half this time.
Anal? Me anal about my boat? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif Yep, I am a Perfectionist!
Did I tell ya I got a new buffer, and that I am having the scratches on the deck (blue stripe) professionally touched up this fall (sand from mommas feet ya know, cause scratches).... Oh and that we renamed the boat? Her new name is "HI MAITENANCE."
See ya soon Todd. Bryan

Formula Jr
06-30-2001, 03:23 AM
In the Bay, you who have chosen to stay there, really should get the crab pot thing under control. Its just silly, the way they are layed out and FILL the entire bay. I think you should spear head a cause and sue the owners of the pots as a navigational hazard. Call the editor of the Enterprise. It will go far............ Three tier is enough.

BigGrizzly
07-01-2001, 08:00 PM
If insurance is paying for it, your paying for it any way. Do it right. If its comming out of your pocket weld it. A good guy and you won't see it.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell
07-01-2001, 08:12 PM
BigGriz, I agree. If they will replace the whole thing (which they say they will, minus my deductible) I will do it, my rates won't change, I have had only 5 claims period on anything we own in the last 22 years with State Farm. If not I will do the cosmetic thing this fall myself. They are having a marine surveyor come up from NC on Tuesday.

Can't wait to see ya again and hope we can visit more next time. I hope you and the family are all doing well.
Bryan