PDA

View Full Version : Mean green machine

Barry Phillips
07-09-2002, 10:40 PM
While cruising on the Great Sacandaga Lake
in NY State I came across another Donzi owned by a guy named Jack. This is kind of a big deal since classic Donzis exspecally a hunter green 1967 Sweet 16 are rare on the Sacandaga, the company was welcomed. The story behinded the boat was equally interesting. The owner's uncle worked for Donzi in the 60s and build the boat, he promised it to Jack and made good on his promise. Jack rebuild the Volvo drive and has a 350 in mind for a repower. He also wants to have the hull refinshed, so if any of you Lake George guys have any suggestions please make them kown. I tolded him about the site and I hope to see him at the fall picnic at Lake George in September, if not before than. Meeting with another Donzi enthusiast made my day.

I also had another go with the 21' Super Boat I ran last summer , only this time he was running a Mec 300 promax instead of the Evenrude 225 he was running last year.
I did not think I had chance but the little 18 kicked ass. I had to slow down and let him catch up and I still walked away from him. Maybe his setup wasn't right yet, he should of beat me. A great 4th.

SO-SLO

PaulO
07-10-2002, 08:21 AM
A 21 Superboat with a 300 promax runs high 80s to low 90s if set up properly. What are your speeds? Are you close?
PaulO

Barry Phillips
07-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Paul O I know this Superboat should run 75 to 85mph with a brand new Mec 300 and a stern jack on the ass end. The day in question was the 4th, hot and humid with a nice lake chop to break up the hull friction. We both had one passenger. My Classic 18 is a 65 to 67 mph boat. This Legend should have blow me out of the water . I had a head start and he could not catch up, so I slowed down and let him get along side, I still pulled away from him I could not believe it. He was faster with his 225 Evenrude because when I ran him a year ago we were even and I was running 67mph. I love the Super Boat Legend, looks a lot like a Donzi 22, it also has about a 17 degree deadrise and a hull weight of 1,100 lbs add another 6 to 800lbs for the motor and fuel, it is still lighter than my 18, so whats the story? Even with a poor setup the boat should run 70. What I do know is he could not pass me and I do not bull**** about my boats top end. Ask GEOO or Chris they have both riden in it. I also do not think he was trying to make me feel good, mybe he should bring that 300 back to the Mec store where he purchased it, they are not cheep motors and I would be pissed.

SO-SLO

PaulO
07-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Barry,
I was hoping you were going to tell me you had an 18 that goes 85-90! The Superboat has a 22 degree deadrise and a 6" pad. Great rough water boat and fast. There are a whole bunch running around here with 300 mercs. The fastest one with a light layup has been clocked at 97. My 21 ran 72 with an old 225 merc which was rated at the powerhead and probably put out 200HP at the prop. Currently, my 21 has a V8 Evinrude on it and runs in the mid 80s.
PaulO

flametamer
07-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Barry,

I was at Sacadaga Lake on the 4th of July and again on the 6th of July.I run a Teal 22 classic. Where did you see the guy with the green 16. jeff

GEOO
07-11-2002, 05:45 AM
PaulO,
It was good seeing you at Lake George. Too bad the boating was cut short do to the weather.
Hey, are you going to the Super Boat September get together in LI? How's your set-up working out?? Do you think they would allow a little 18 Donzi to tag along!!! Maybe, we can get Chris to go too. I'm sure we could have some fun.. HEE, HEE, HEE wink

Did I see your 21 for sale? Are you thinking of another Donzi??

Barry Phillips
07-11-2002, 08:07 AM
Flametamer: I ran over to Mayfied Harbor to fined some quite water. I live on the East shore near Silver Bay more or less behind Sand Island. We ran along the Western shore and through a channel that provides a pass through where the 2 rivers met, this area is full of sand bars and rocks. We met up with the Sweet 16 at the Northville bridge about 6pm we were talking with the 2 guys in the Super boat which is on the lake every weekend she has a white deck with a yellow stripe and hull sides I love the offshore style center railing on these boats. Paul O is right this boat should be a lot faster than it's currently running.

Flametamer , do boat on the Sacandaga offen? I will be up their this weekend and I would like to meet you, just give me a place and time. We also boat at Lake George, but I avoid it like the plague on the 4th. The Sacandaga is big 29 miles long and 6 miles wide, best of all no speed limits.
Lets try to meet up either on the Sacandaga or Lake George. Where do you drop your boat in.

SO-SLO

flametamer
07-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Barry,

I put my boat in at the Edinburg Marina, by the Batchlerville bridge. I usually run the north end of the lake because I am not familiar with the south end. I go to Lake George at times. Call me and we will hook up. Jeff (518) 893-7943

Barry Phillips
07-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Jeff I will give you a call tonight , my cell is 908-377-9278, it will nice to meet you and check out your 22. My 18 is white with a black strip, although you can't miss a Donzi on the Sacandaga. My wife and I are leaving Jersey about 3pm. I keep my phone in the car if you want to try calling me on the Thruway.

Hope to see ya
SO-SLO