PDA

View Full Version : TRAILER PAINT

MarkG
06-28-2001, 10:40 AM
I happen to get a great deal on a custom trailer and need to repaint it red to match the Donzi. I was considering using Industrial Rustoleum. Can anyone suggest something that may work better?

MarkG
>=^;>

Looped
06-28-2001, 11:26 AM
No matter how good of a paint job you do on a steel trailer (whether you use a spray can type or even a urethane air gun paint job) it’s best to sandblast it especially the welded areas and prime it real good (first coat of primer put on light for a good bond). If you are just trying to do a quick cover job to last for year or two you should still wash the trailer, go over the entire trailer with a scuff pad and then use a prep-solvent to remove any wax/grease.

You can use anything but it all comes down to how long you want it to last and how nice you want to have it look. You do have one thing going for you; you don’t need to deal with salt water. It’s all in the price you pay and what you have accessible to you if you do it yourself.

Scott Pearson would be the man to ask on this though.

Craig

Blewbyu
06-28-2001, 12:34 PM
Hammerite is a good, tough spray can product.Prime before painting.My son painted an Easy-loader 2 years ago and has dunked it in salt several times-no rust yet.

jaroot
06-28-2001, 01:07 PM
if you decide to sandblast it... a good etching catalyzed epoxy primer such as the PPG DP series is GOOOD stuff... Excellent base to paint over and comes in a variety of colors...

mikev
06-28-2001, 02:52 PM
I repainted mine 2 yrs ago still looks great. All I did was sand the whole thing down with 80 grit on my electric palm sander. wiped it down with laquer thinner, taped off all the lights and stuff off put hefty bags over the wheels and sprayed it with 5 cans of rustolium. Cost less than $30.00 took less than a day, and if I ever bang it or scratch it just buy a matching can at Home Depot.